2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In that situation I pick the ones that have sort of yellowed, started to dry. Sometimes you don't get the true color but they should germinate. My worry is not so much mold though that can happen, but a mature seed might sprout in the pod.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman

Or anyone else. I have a question. I normally wait till my beans have dried on the vine before saving seeds, but we are in for a lot of rain starting tomorrow and all next week.

I have a few beans that have made seed, but they are still green. Would it hurt to pick the ones that have large beans in them an dry in the garage.

I'm talking about just picking the beans not the whole vine.

if they are still green and the plant isn't fading then they're ok to leave on the vine through rains. it's only after the pod starts fading/drying and moisture can get in the edges that it becomes a problem.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a couple of pods that had filled out and were limp, so I pulled them

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman

Or anyone else. I have a question. I normally wait till my beans have dried on the vine before saving seeds, but we are in for a lot of rain starting tomorrow and all next week.

I have a few beans that have made seed, but they are still green. Would it hurt to pick the ones that have large beans in them an dry in the garage.

I'm talking about just picking the beans not the whole vine.
Sounds like you did the right thing, @HmooseK . The pods of Sierra Madre are extremely low in fiber; and if dry or close to ripe, they are very susceptible to spoilage due to moisture. I missed a couple dry pods, the last time I grew them... they were touching the ground, and after a rain, the pods had fallen apart like tissue paper.

It doesn't help that the pods are usually low on the vine, they perform that way for me too. If there is such a thing as a half-runner yardlong bean, this would probably fit into that category. That dense lower growth, though, is probably advantageous in hot climates. It would help the plant to conserve soil moisture. @HmooseK , you are probably in a hotter location than anyone else I've sent seed, so I'm really looking forward to your continued observations.

Yardlong beans & cowpeas need heat; but given that, they go from flower to dry seed very quickly. Although my Phaseolus beans usually bloom before the Vigna beans (which includes yardlongs), it is generally one of the cowpeas that is first to bear seed. In your climate, you should still have plenty of time yet for seed saving.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a couple of pods that had filled out and were limp, so I pulled them

sounds good to me. when they start losing firmness is what i would call being done enough to pick too if there are a lot of rains threatening. we have no rain in the forecast until next Thursday and i'd not be surprised for that to miss us.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Zeedman @flowerbug

Thanks! I went back and forth in my head on whether I should pull or leave? Then thought to myself, just ask someone who knows. Hahahaa.

I appreciate each of you for insight.

The rain was supposed to already have started, but all I have so far is intermittent showers. Me and my wife moved my new smoker into the garage just in case we get more rain. I had it covered, but still. I've seen those covers leak. This is a new electric masterbuilt and it's my first electric smoker. I like it so far. I've made ribs and meatloaf in it and it was sure good!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yum, i like smoked things too once in a while. can't run anything like that here. both of us are wimps when it comes down to smoke tolerance.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just thought of some other beans i like to pick on the early side (before the pods have fully dried). the ones susceptible to shatter. i hate having to pick beans out of the dirt after they've been flung far and wide...

Latest posts