2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A photo would be really helpful. From the description, though, it could be a wild bean of some kind. Although we don't know the climate of the poster, it seems odd that it over-wintered - especially if no seeds were formed last year. It may have come up from a tuber formed last year... gently digging around the roots may provide more info. The reluctance to flower seems to indicate that the bean (if it is a bean) is tropical in origin, and photo-period sensitive. I say "if it is a bean" because some non-leguminous plants are called "beans" (such as clove bean), and the leaf description sounds questionable.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today while watering i was admiring the leaves and the dark purple flowers on the Purple Dove beans. i think we would grow them for the flowers and foliage alone. too bad they are not perennials... but that raises further questions in my mind... :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A photo would be really helpful. From the description, though, it could be a wild bean of some kind. Although we don't know the climate of the poster, it seems odd that it over-wintered - especially if no seeds were formed last year. It may have come up from a tuber formed last year... gently digging around the roots may provide more info. The reluctance to flower seems to indicate that the bean (if it is a bean) is tropical in origin, and photo-period sensitive. I say "if it is a bean" because some non-leguminous plants are called "beans" (such as clove bean), and the leaf description sounds questionable.
Here's a few pictures and the latest info...
See the attached...hopefully most are clear. The leaves are not very large...1-2 inches long...at the base of the vine they might be 3-3.5 inches. It looks like tiny flower buds are forming at the top of the poles, in the axils...one photo shows that. The "buds" are tiny..head of a straight pin size. Leaves as mentioned are very leathery...thick with the veiny surface and red edge. No tuber that I could find...the soil in that garden was very dry and hard. Unfortunately the garlic is getting in the way. Does not seem to be a sweet potato...if that was your thought. The seed planted was definitely bean like.
IMG_3180.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight , having seen those photos, I sincerely doubt that plant is Fabaceae. That might be a true yam... the foliage & flower structure are nearly identical to Cinnamon Vine, Dioscorea polystachya. This link is not the best for foliage, but shows the flower buds:
https://oak.ppws.vt.edu/~flessner/weedguide/diuba.htm

An image search for "cinnamon vine" will show foliage that better matches the photos. That was my first suspicion, hence my interest in the roots. The "bean" might have been one of the air tubers. The scent when the flowers open - or the formation of bulbils - would be confirmation. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, I hope your friend will provide updates.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @Zeedman I've passed the information on, the fellow who was looking for an identification lives in New Brunswick. He contacted another member of Seeds of Diversity, she then contacted me to see if I knew what it was or if I knew anyone who might know. It was a new one to me. I'll ask if she can get updates, if she does I'll pass them on.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not an expert by far and also trying to remember the vining bean plant we had. hyacynth beans, but no, those leaves aren't similar...

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the beans in this garden mostly survived this and heavy rains again the other day... :) :) :)

p6270012_Too_Low_thm.jpg
I'm glad your plants are surviving! I'm constantly amazed at the stark differences in weather in areas that aren't that far apart, neighboring states at least. It's been 90+ for over a week here without a drop of rain. I can barely water enough to keep my plants from wilting. We are expecting rains this weekend, hopefully it'll be enough to give everything a nice long drink.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad your plants are surviving! I'm constantly amazed at the stark differences in weather in areas that aren't that far apart, neighboring states at least. It's been 90+ for over a week here without a drop of rain. I can barely water enough to keep my plants from wilting. We are expecting rains this weekend, hopefully it'll be enough to give everything a nice long drink.

that 5 inches of rain day was back towards the end of June. the heavy rains the other day didn't flash flood like that.

i didn't think that garden was going to drain as quickly as it did since it was about a foot and a half down excavated out of our clay subsoil, but somehow it did and the beans recovered after a week or so. now they are coming along ok.

the heat streak for the past month was tough. i'm much more enjoying the past several days where the temperatures have finally moderated. our clay soil holds moisture pretty well, i try to water at least once every two to four days just to keep something percolating down through and to keep it from cracking. the rains that come along are very welcome. the garden plants do so much better on rain water compared to well water.

Latest posts