2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Talking about reversed seed coat colors, I have several in my stash that do this on occasion like my Emelia's Italian
DSCN2122.JPG

When these are planted they just revert back o their normal pattern , the same with Jeminez...
Jeminez.JPG

Then there's pod color, yes this the actual color of a dry pod of White Hull Pink Tip.
DSCN5692.JPG

A picture of them starting to turn color.
DSCN5684.JPG

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you plant those reverse beans I understand they produce the regular patterns. But do you find you are more likely to get a reverse when you plant them?

Another question on reverses. When you get them are all beans in the pod reverse or just one with regular colored seeds as well? Reason I'm asking i got these three reverses in Jas in 2017, all 3 beans in one pod, all three the same. Those ivory beans with the purple markings in the first photo is the normal coloring.

DSCF4711.JPG

Jas 3 Reverse.JPG

But this first photo below is my regular Miss T, the second single mostly white bean was in a pod mixed with regulars. Miss T can show a lot of variation but that looks like a reverse to me.

Miss T 1.JPG

DSCF4740.JPG

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner I have never experienced getting reversed seed coat from planting reversed patterned seed and when I get reversed pattern the whole pod is.
I had one instance of an oddity with a pod of Mr. Tung's, when shelling I found this, one distinctly pink bean the rest looked normal for the variety.

DSCN2415.JPG

Mr Tung
DSCN3527.JPG

When I planted this one pink seed I got pods that looked like this.
DSCN2973.JPG

The seed in these pods looked like this, green, shelly stage, brown dried.
DSCN2978.JPG

I planted these and got these pods, again the seed had a different seed coat pattern.
DSCN3618.JPG
DSCN3616.JPG

Never went any further....

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
With reverse seed coats colors I have gotten both the entire pod full of seed with the reverse and sometimes just one or a couple of seeds in the pods might be reversed.

Ridgerunners white bean from Miss T definitely looks like a reverse.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"CHOCTAW" Semi Runner dry. In 1980 I discovered this bean seed as a segregation among the pods of another semi runner that I had discovered in a bush variety the season before called "Sulphur Bean". I had been away from SSE for 22 years and was trying to find as many of my original beans that I stablized and named back in the early 80's as I could. In the winter of 2012 I had a copy of the bean listings of the 2006 SSE yearbook that I had copied from a trip down to the Chicago Botanical Gardens. I found a fellow in New York that had listed Choctaw in that 2006 yearbook. He hadn't listed anything in The SSE book for 6 years but I wrote to him anyway and he sends this bean back. He had "Choctaw" in his freezer and another great looking bean I had once grown "Bird Egg", "Stevenson's Black Eye", and "Stevenson's Blue Eye". He had these beans all in that '06 yearbook and I asked about them. I was flabergasted so say the least I got them all. I grew out "Choctaw" in 2012 and everything looked right. So I grew it out last year and this year. Last year I got a lot of segregations but only one solid red one this year. It's been outcrossed again I think in the garden of this New York fellow. So maybe close to being cleaned up again.
Choctaw.jpg

"Choctaw" - Semi Runner dry

Choctaw 2018 Segregation.jpg

"2018 Choctaw Segregation"

"CHRISTMAS" Pole lima. I had made a trip to Decorah Iowa to visit Heritage Farm in November 2011. By that time of the year the place is like a ghost town except for the employees who are there. I had donated 100 bean varieties in my early SSE days. When I arrived one of the founding members, Diane Whealy greeted me. They then proceeded to show me around the entire farm and got to look at all the jobs in the place. Every employee explained what they did there. I felt like some celebrity for the day. They kept me overnight in the upstairs of the old farmhouse. Their seed historian wanted to pick my brain a little bit the next day. I slept in a beautiful bed they had in the upstairs bedroom and fell asleep to the sound of the White Park Cattle they keep on the farm. Those are the cattle that roamed the British Isles over 2,000 years ago, and SSE has developed a nice breeding heard of them. I bought Christmas lima from their visitors center and let it sit in the packet for 2 and 1/2 years before planting it in 2014 which I got a nice seed crop from it then. Grew it out again this year, but the vines grew in a bit of shade and it's kind of a late lima for my area of Northern Illinois anyway. I got a few dry pods and some leathery ones. Before frost hit it. I cut down the vines from the pole it grew on and picked every green pod that looked very swollen with seeds. It's a meager harvest this time around but I'm getting a few nice seeds out of the green pods as they dry and become crisp.
Christmas.jpg

"Christmas" - Pole Lima

"COCO RUBICO" Bush dry. I had grown this bean as far back as 1976. Bought it from a business that imported bean seed from France. Le Jardin Du Gourmet they were called. They were based on the east coast, and I got a whole slew of French bush types from them. One of the beans was one they called Comtesse de Chambord which wound up being the seed mother of my Blue Jay bean. I don't think it was an authentic CDC, but I didn't know it at the time. The pods were definitely more slender than most American snap beans and unlike a lot of the French beans you could let CDC get to it's normal snap size and it was still stringless. Those other French varieties you had to pick them young before the strings developed. The seed was pure white, but as I have come to learn these days the seed is small but not the rice sized seed that it should be for CDC. Anyway I donated I think all those French beans along with this version of CDC and "Coco Rubico" to Seed Savers Exchange. This year was my fourth grow out of "Coco Rubico" since getting a hold of it again in 2012. Productive bean that I got back again from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine (Scattered Seed Project) who had also been a SSE member probably back in the late 1970's too. I think he got the bean from me originally as I believe I was the first to list this one in the SSE yearbook in 1979. Will has probably kept this bean for almost 40 years so far. Another one of my familiar cultivars that I've grown, having come full circle.
Coco Rubico.jpg

"Coco Rubico" - Bush Dry

"CHOCOLATE 7.0" - Semi Runner. In 2013 I got a bean called "Chocolate" from a SSE member and grew it out. I didn't make any record of it that anything outstanding happened. In 2014 I decided to take some of that 2013 seed and grow it again. I got 7 segregations. This one I thought had a neat color and it's been sitting on my bean shelves in a baby food jar for 4 years so I thought maybe I should grow it this year and see if I could get more of them. It did very well most of the seed turned out like the 2014 seed and it threw off a small amount of another segregation that I've numbered as Chocolate 7.1. These are only temporary names if they stablize they will have new names.
Chocolate 7.0.jpg

"Chocolate 7.0" - Semi Runner dry.

Chocolate 7.1.jpg

"Chocolate 7.1" Semi Runner dry

"CLARENDON WONDER" Bush dry. An Australian variety named after Clarendon New South Whales. I got it in 2014 from a fellow in New South Whales, Australia. I believe he got it out of the Australian Seed Bank. He sent me 5 seeds which I let sit in his seed envelope in my basement for 3 years. Planted them last year. Right after planting we had a torrential rain which gave us 9 inches in 6 hours. Not too good for geminating bean seed. Especially since the soil I planted them in didn't dry out for probably almost two weeks. I had one "Clarendon Wonder" grow in '17 and I got back my 5 seeds. Most of the pods on that one plant were pretty poor. So I harvested one good pod from that one single plant. So I planted these 5 seeds again in my back yard bean nursery as I call it. Very loamy well drained soil and this year all 5 plants survived giving me a normal harvest for what 5 plants will give you. I think this one is my wonder bean of the year.
Clarendon Wonder.jpg

"Clarendon Wonder" - Bush Dry

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've seen some pods where every other bean is a different color.
mainly in the cranberry beans when the solid white with red markings
reverses.

i've had singletons once in a while too.

i figure these are stray pollination issues related to the bumble bees and perhaps even chance mutations finally being expressed.

i'm pretty sure the monster beans i got this season from the Dappled Gray are an outcross or a reversion to parent type (i.e. they were not stable yet).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 i see a lot of rounder beans in your pictures this year? are you following my preferences? lol

i am aiming for rounder, early and bush beans as much as i can.

just because. :)

and if i can get a cross between FtPortal Jade and Purple Dove it will be interesting to see what it looks like.

i have plenty of Purple Dove seeds to work with but hardly any FPJ's due to planting/growing issues this season (they got overgrown by everything around them and i didn't notice it until too late).

and, yes, love all the pictures! thanks for posting...