2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Raiquee

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, quite often. I've gotten the golds eye fava (though I have yet to plant it). I've gotten quite a few other things as well (I seem to recall a lot of wild alliums some Vigna subterrnea, assorted herbs and so on.

Awesome!! Do you just mail in an order form? Or do I email them first? Maybe I’m having so much trouble because I’m on a mobile device but I’m struggling with their website!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's Bean Show Day #10

"#15 Sux YeE-C-97A" - Bush. Another Robert Lobitz legacy bean sample from the Missouri SSE member that I hadn't even grown out yet in 2015 when I got them. So another sample that better be gotten too. I had a couple of seeds grow. Deer worked on these plants and almost killed them, but a few dry pods were had from this one too.
#15 Sux YeE-C-97A.jpg

"Sux YeE-C-97A" Bush

"GOLD CREEK BEAUTY" - Bush Dry. Another Robert Lobitz bean named by him. The bulk of Robert's original beans were released from about 1999 and later according to SSE seed historian. I acquired this bean from Lisa Bloodnick of Apalachan, New York in 2016 at the Appalachian Seed Swap. This year was my third grow out of this productive bean.
Gold Creek Beauty.jpg

" Gold Creek Beauty" - Bush Dry

"20-AA" ''EAGLE BEND" Bush Dry. Another of the Robert Lobitz Legacy beans I've been working with since 2015. This year was my third grow out of the bean. It's very productive and early. 77 days to the start of first dry pods. The bean threw off a small number of beans that had the same eye patch and pattern but slightly lighter in color.
Eagle Bend kb.jpg

"Eagle Bend" - Bush Dry

''GREENCROP" - Bush Snap. I have grown this bean off an on since the early 1980's. White seeded flat green pods that develop nearly all at once. It's been available in seed catalogs since 1956. Bred at the New Hampshire Agricultural Station. Cross between Bountiful and a bean called "Streamliner". It probably gets it's flattened pods from Bountiful.
Greencrop.jpg

"Greencrop" Bush Snap

"Green Savage" - Pole Green Snap. Bred by the Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station in Baton Rouge and released by Reuter Seed Co. in 1949. A cross between Savage Wonder and Canfreezer. It's a southern adapted bean noted for being stringless, high yielding and high quality and straight podded with bean rust resistance. Grew outstandingly well here in my 2018 northern Illinois garden. Got this bean from Tricia Rosamilia in 2017. Now that I have a better number of seeds. I've got to try this one out sometime.
green-savage.jpg

"Green Savage" - Pole Snap

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Got the beans in the mail today. Hopefully you'll have them by Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks again for managing this whole operation; you're doing valuable work! I just gave your web info to a teacher who runs the community garden at my kid's school suggesting he get his class to participate next year. Hopefully he'll get a few kids interested in keeping up the good fight. Thanks again!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Michael Lusk, Thank you so much for all your work this summer. Hope you will return with us next year. 5 returns so far out of 28 growers. 23 left to go.

The seed coming in is just beautiful. I'm trying to get samples in the freezer of every variety so they will hardly age. Then we won't have to worry if something doesn't get grown out for a number of years.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my first sort is mostly done. :) so next week i'll start 2nd sort and get things packed up and ready to send. won't be able to send until Mom returns from vacation (but i hope to get them sent as my original plan by TG).

mebbe a few pictures too. we'll see on that... camera battery clip broke and so i'm trying to use it as little as possible because recharging means taking battery in/out and i don't know how many times what i'm doing to hold it in will work...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's Bean Show Day #11

"COLD CREEK" - Bush Dry. Seeds grown out of a packet I have marked 23A Code None. Another Robert Lobitz Legacy bean I've been working with since 2015. This bean seemed to throw off a segregation this year, but it also could be a dramatic looking change of a reverse color. Some seeds have the tiniest small amount of tan almost unnoticable sometimes can be found on this black and white seed. At any rate I will find out for sure next year. The first photo is Cold Creek. Second photo is the segregation or reverse coloring of this bean.
#23A Code None - Cold Creek.jpg

"Cold Creek" - Bush Dry

#23A Code None - Cold Creek Segregation #1.jpg

"Cold Creek" - Segregation or maybe reverse color.

"Gurnsey" - Semi Runner dry. It's not the correct spelling for the breed of cow, but for this bean it's my preferred spelling. I think it has an intersting heritage line. I found this bean in another outcross I call Holstein in 2016 which is patterned like this but in black and white and is also a semi runner. Holstein was found in another outcross in 2014 in a bean I call Purple Trout which looks much like Jacob's Cattle in dark purple and white. Purple Trout was found in White Robin (semi runner) in 2012, but Purple Trout grows as a true bush. The interesting thing was I had beans before back in the early 80's that looked exactly like all three of these beans. However those beans went by the wayside for the lack of continued grow outs. In 2011 I was lamenting the loss of those beans and wished I could find beans like them again. My mind over matter must have been strong. I was thrilled when I found Purple Trout. I thought if I grew that one out could I be lucky to still have the dark purple one and have some turn true jet black with more white and larger spotting on the bean. That's exactly what happened. I almost could not believe it was happening. Then I thought if I grew out the Holstein could I get the large spotting but with brown coloring of the spots. What are the odds for that to happen, but incredibly this is like bean reincarnation. I have said it before. Seed shapes, colors and patterns seem to be repeatable.
Gurnsey.jpg

"Gurnsey" Semi Runner dry.

"HARMONY" - Bush dry. Another segregation of outcrosses I received from Will Bonsall (Scattered Seed Project) in 2015. This bean turned out like this in 2015. I was keeping it's seeds in continers marked WB-PKT #16. So after another grow out this year. I decided to give it it's own name. Named after one of the small rural towns in the county where I live here in Illinois. Time will tell if it continues to grow and look like it has twice.
Harmony - WB-PKT #16.jpg

"Harmony" - Bush dry

"HARVARD" - Pole. Another bean from the Will Bonsall's outcrossed beans. Kept this one's seeds in packets marked
WB-PKT #17.1. There are some bluish looking seeds in the grow outs which I try to select and grow exclusive of some tan ones it produces, but so far I keep getting some of both. Another town in our county that starts with the letter H in it's name.
Harvard WB-PKT #17.1.jpg

"Harvard" - Pole

"Heartland" - Pole. From more Will Bonsall outcrossed beans. This is related to Harvard. Been keeping this one's seeds in containers marked WB-PKT 17.3. Yet another town in our county that starts with the letter H in it's name.
Heartland  WB-PKT #17.3.jpg

"Heartland" - Pole

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 i have "Gurnsey" pattern on a more narrow bean (a shape similar to VT Appaloosa or Painted Pony aka what i call a Hotdog bean :) ). i suspect the various spotted beans i have here now have come to me via either of those two or the Money beans which also have a lot of spotted markings.

whenever i've grown Money beans i usually am selecting from those for various features, but since the bean is usually not very prolific for me unless grown in perfect soils/conditions i've not planted it the past few years.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, I can't seem to get "Money" to look right. I grew it two years ago in 2016 and there was no white on the seed and no spotting. The entire seed look like a red cranberry bean. I put seed in the ground that looks correct, but when it's time for harvesting the new seed it doesn't look like what I have planted.

Latest posts