2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@reedy, If you want to send me a list right now you can. If I send you the seed now you won't lose them will you? The reason I ask is I've had people do some odd things.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's Bean Show Day #19

''MONACHELLE DE TREVIO" - Pole Dry. There is a Little Easy Bean Network grower in Canada who never gets on this thread. They are grain farmers in Ontario and probably doesn't have time to join in our conversations. They sent me this bean last autumn 2017 that they had purchased from Baker Creek Seeds. I grew it this year and found it to be very productive and dries pods very nicely. Sturdy fairly thick pods that curve the opposite way most pods do, if they are going to curve when they dry.
monachelle-di-trevio-2018.jpg

''Monachelle de Trevio" - Pole Dry

"LITTLE FALLS" #32-93-DS-44-#2 - Bush Dry. Another of the Robert Lobitz Legacy beans. I named the bean after Little Falls, Minnesota. Hope it would have met with Robert's approval. 93-DS-44 is Roberts part of the code the #2 at the end is to denote that a different seed coat had come out of the beans with that code. Some of these beans become like a little family. Sibblings, cousins, parents and grandparents. The first photo is Little Falls that I harvested this year and the second photo is the original seed grown in 2009 that started this little group of beans going.
#32-93-DS-44-#2 Little Falls.jpg

"Little Falls" - Bush Dry.

"93-DS-44" This is Roberts original code. This seed was grown in 2009.
#32 - 93-DS-44-2009.jpg

93-DS-44 - Bush Dry.

"LONG PRAIRIE TROUT" #32-93-DS-44-#3. Bush Dry. Named after Long Prairie, Minnesota. I thought it would be fun to show you the rest of this bean family as it stands today.
#32-93-DS-44-#3 Long Prairie Trout.jpg

"Long Prairie Trout"

"#32-93-DS-44-#3.1" - Bush Dry. Long Prairie Trout produced more beans like itself but also produced a new progeny this summer.
#32-93-DS-44-#3.1 Long Prairie Trout Segregation #1.jpg

#32-93-DS-44-#3.1

"EL ROSA" - #32-93-DS-44-#4. Bush Dry. Another member of this bean family from last year in 2017.
#32-93-DS-44-#4 El Rosa.jpg

"El Rosa" - Bush Dry.

#32-93-DS-44-#4.1 - Bush Dry. El Rosa got into the act of producing more seed like itself and producing something a little different also this 2018 summer.
#32-93-DS-44-#4.1 El Rosa Segregation #1.jpg

#32-93-DS-44-#4.1

"PAYNESVILLE KIDNEY" #32-93-DS-44-#5. Bush Dry. A light red kidney that came about from that orignal 2009 seed. A different seed shape than El Rosa's newest child. Kidney shape where the El Rosa's are a bit more square like a pinto bean.
#32-93-DS-44-#5 Paynesville Kidney.jpg

Paynesville Kidney - Bush Dry.

#32-93-DS-44-#5.1 - Semi Runner purple pod. Seems this family hasn't played out everything in it's bag of tricks yet. It comes up with something entirely off the tracks this 2018 summer.
#32-93-DS-44-#5.1 Paynesville Kidney Seg.jpg

#32-93-DS-44-#5.1 - Semi Runner purple pod.

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Russ, I am on the way to the post office to mail out my beans today, such as they are. You only sent me 5 Starlite and only one grew, the bed that had been safe for 4 years was hit 4 times by deer. They bit off the top of the plant and it managed to make one pod with 5 seeds, at least they should be viable. Sarconi 1 and White Kentucky Wonder did fine. Munachedda Pale is apparently not suited to my long growing season and cool nights, took forever to make pods which got a strange disease, reddish brown stuff on the pod, and weren't ripening but I did save a few seeds but they don't look like your website photos. I am also sending you some beans, Frank Barnett and North Carolina with a few reverses. Thanks, Nancy

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's Bean Show Day #20

''NEABELS UKRAINIAN" - Pole Dry. This bean might actually be more of a half runner. It climbs to the top of my 6' 3" poles, but I don't remember it growing much further than that. Very productive. It's name of course lets you know where it comes from. This year was my fourth grow out since 2012. 2014 so far has been my best year with the bean.
Neabels Unkrainian.jpg

"Neabels Ukrainian" Pole - Dry

"Neptune" - Pole Lima. I had grown this bean as far back as 1981. I was originally sent to me by a Seed Saver member from eastern Kentucky. He didn't know the name of it, but told me it was an old variety. So I decided to give the bean this name before I donated a seed sample to Seed Savers Exchange. Very productive. This summer was my third grow out of the bean since 2013.
Neptune.jpg

"Neptune" - Pole Lima

"NIPPERSINK" - Bush Dry. Named after the Nippersink creek here in the county where I live. Discovered this bean growing among Molasses Face in 2014. Molasses Face is a semi runner, but this bean took the true bush route right away. This year was my fifth grow out of the bean trying to see if it will stablize, but so far not. This year it produced two other off type seed coats.
Nippersink.jpg

"Nippersink" - Bush Dry.

"NIPPERSINK SEGREGATION #1 2018". Bush Dry.
Nippersink Outcross #2 - 2nd Photo.jpg

"Nippersink Segregation #1 - 2018 - Bush Dry

"NIPPERSINK SEGREGATION #2 2018"
Nippersink Outcross.jpg

"Nippersink Segregation #2 2018" - Bush Dry

"NOIR ECOSSER DE CHEVILLY" - Bush Dry. Got this bean from a lady in Acton, Ontario. Short plants. This was my second year growing it. A very pretty bean that I haven't yet determined if it's a very productive variety or not.
Nor Ecosser De Chevilly.jpg

"Noir Ecosser De Chevilly" - Bush Dry

''NORTH POLE" - Pole Lima. This is another bean that I had grown in my early SSE days in the early 1980's. Large seeded lima almost as large as Christmas. It nearly pushes the limit of my growing season here, but I've always gotten lots of seed from it. I harvested probably half of my pods this year that were green but very swollen with seed. Dried them indoors for about three weeks and I got this quality of seed. The colors couldn't have been more natural looking, and the beans were well filled out.
North Pole.jpg

"North Pole" - Pole Lima.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds like we should be starting the 2019 thread then already... :)

i won't know what space i will have until more towards spring.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to next year. Since I moved it will be a year of learning how to grow beans and everything else down here with the different climate and in raised beds. Space is going to be limited but maybe I can get two seasons in, especially with bush beans. It will be fun to try. I'm going to miss my big fenced garden that was safe from deer and rabbits.

I will not be getting any of your beans next year Russ, I have plenty of those segregations from those Will Bonsall beans I got from you a few years back that I'm trying to stabilize plus those segregations I found in Bluejay. I want to stabilize what I can before I get any new ones from you. I enjoyed growing them just to renew seeds but trying to stabilize segregations is a whole new world of fun and excitement.