2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we need a bean picture! :)

this is Yed (yellow and red). unique to me because of the splotchy complexion. not seen in any other beans. a new cross to me the past few years.

p1170013_Yed.jpg

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A local group had a seed swap, and I got several new beans, this one is called Bessie Bean, if I remember right a Bill Best bean unless it was one of the other beans. It looks a lot like Khabarovsk I grew last year, and also Sarconi 1 I grew for a network bean. Has anyone heard of it?

Attachments

• Bessie Bean.jpeg
    Bessie Bean.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 185

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A local group had a seed swap, and I got several new beans, this one is called Bessie Bean, if I remember right a Bill Best bean unless it was one of the other beans. It looks a lot like Khabarovsk I grew last year, and also Sarconi 1 I grew for a network bean. Has anyone heard of it?

no, i've not heard of it before. is it a climber?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Appaloosa bean

i see at least one possible out cross in there (the spotted one). they are a pretty bean. :)

i have a lot of variations now with their influence. they are more picky about conditions but i keep growing a few here or there hoping to get a cross with the red beans or the other more reliable beans. plenty of results to evaluate so far. going to take me several years to see how they all turn out.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
New Bean Mail.

UTAH YELLOW EYE: Bush Dry. New bean mail January 17, 2019. I remember
growing this bean back in the early 1980's. As I had recalled it had a little bit larger seed than most other yellow eye beans and a broader solidly filled figure around the eye. Not like the little spot of color on either side of the the eye like Canadian Dot eye, or like the yellow soldier figure like Maine Yellow Eye. I didn't even know if this bean existed anymore. Also I didn't much recall this bean being listed in the SSE yearbook. All I knew was that I had grown it, never recorded my source where I had gotten it from. I also knew I wanted to acquire it again. So I thought I would ask Sara Straate the SSE seed historian if it was in the SSE bean collections and if it would ever be listed by Heritage Farm in the yearbook so growers could obtain it again. She told me it was indeed in the SSE collections but would never be listed in the yearbook by Heritage Farm because they don't have a distribution packet for the variety. Sara told me she talked to their seed bank manager, and he said we have enough seeds in another packet that we could send a sample to you if interested. That was on September 18, 2018. Yes indeed I was interested and they arrived one week ago today. I had also asked Sara if anyone ever listed the bean in the SSE yearbook and who donated the bean to them. So glad the bean wound up in their collections. She told me The seeds we recently sent you - BEAN 1966 Yellow Eye, Utah (accession 102207) - came to SSE in the early 1980s. Our records indicate it came from you. I think only you (1986, 1989) and Ralph Stevenson (1988) ever listed it by name in the Yearbook. So barring germination problems and given a decent season this year. Utah Yellow eye should be available hopefully on my website, and in the SSE yearbook in late 2019.

Utah Yellow Eye.jpg.JPG
UTAH YELLOW EYE - BUSH DRY

Last edited: