2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some beans in early March this year and have been harvesting some dried beans. First up is Valley View, a segregation from the Will Bonsall #39's. It's a bush bean to be used dry. This is the second time I've grown this segregation and it has produced true each time. So I planted it again today.
Valley View Second.jpg

I also planted Banzala in March, another bush bean and also a segregation from the Will Bonsall #39's. This is also the second time I've grown it and it has also produced true. So I planted another round today.
Banzala Second.jpg

Aksai is a segregation from the Will Bonzall #32's. Another bush bean. The only time I've grown it was in 2017 in Arkansas. It produced true then. I planted it today, could be interesting to see what it does.
Aksai Seeds.jpg

Cock 'N Bull is also from the Will Bonsall #32's. Another bush that was true the only time I grew it. I wasn't very impressed with the seeds right after I harvested them but I think they have aged nicely. These are also from 2017.
Cock 'N Bull Seeds.jpg

That's all I planted today, two grown this year and two from a couple of years ago. We'll see how they do in the heat and humidity down here planting this late.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
A couple of my network beans are at the top of their trellis, looking for blooms soon, I hope. Funny the one, I think it is Witsa that was last to come up was first to to the top. It also was the one I dug one up and found had developed large roots before a shoot. Very interesting I think, will be keeping a close eye on it for productions and maybe drought tolerance.

My Hoosier Wonder are starting up their trellis and I don't see any differences in how the plants are growing this year, maybe it has stabilized enough to share some this year, only time will tell although I intend to eat some too.

I'v decided to keep one stabilization project going at a time and with HW nearing completion I'v started the next one with the off-types I found in Refugee. They were planted a little later than the network beans but are also starting up the trellis. I planted about 40 seeds, if I remember right you need about 16 to capture the full range of possibilities, looking forward to seeing what I get.

Did I mention how much we like Refugee? pretty sure I did. Short easy to trellis vines, early maturity, nicely productive and fine for green beans.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
at times i've had reverse beans show up in pods in alternating fashion. next time i get one i'll take a pic...

Very cool! The botanical explanation for this is that the bean pod is the fusion of two compartments (called locules), each of which contains its own ovules. So when seeds develop after pollination, they alternate in their origin from two different areas of maternal tissue.

The striping and reverse patterning of tissues (such as pods and seed coats) has to do with the activity of jumping genes (called transposons). :ya The jumping genes move at different times in different places, and that affects color expression. Depending on when, how, and where these events occur, that generates these fascinating and unique patterns.

Back to the alternating coat patterns in a pod. One set of seeds developed from a locule in which genes jumped :ya at a different time than in the other locule.

Isn't biology amazing!!! :ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cool! The botanical explanation for this is that the bean pod is the fusion of two compartments (called locules), each of which contains its own ovules. So when seeds develop after pollination, they alternate in their origin from two different areas of maternal tissue.

The striping and reverse patterning of tissues (such as pods and seed coats) has to do with the activity of jumping genes (called transposons). :ya The jumping genes move at different times in different places, and that affects color expression. Depending on when, how, and where these events occur, that generates these fascinating and unique patterns.

Back to the alternating coat patterns in a pod. One set of seeds developed from a locule in which genes jumped :ya at a different time than in the other locule.

Isn't biology amazing!!! :ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya

yes! :) thank you for the explanation. :)

i don't think i'll need to water today. rains last night and today so far. :) hopefull we'll get some warm sunny days next week...

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay, I FINALLY got the Ice Cream Sandwich beans started. As soon as they have sprouted in the hotbox, I'll transfer them outside and cage them (I'm taking no chances with the animals). When they outgrow the cage, I've got materials for a trellis (the beans will go up the trellis, and the watermelons will go down it from the pot on the top.)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you again @Pulsegleaner for doing the grow out on this one. I had no idea how old these seed might have been. They sat at basement temperature for about 4 years. Then I decided in 2017 it might be a good idea to put them in the freezer to slow down their aging. You got all the seed I had of them. Glad to know they do actually grow.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you again @Pulsegleaner for doing the grow out on this one. I had no idea how old these seed might have been. They sat at basement temperature for about 4 years. Then I decided in 2017 it might be a good idea to put them in the freezer to slow down their aging. You got all the seed I had of them. Glad to know they do actually grow.

Whoah, whoah, whoah, you are jumping the gun a little! I just put the seed in the pots, it hasn't GERMINATED yet! That will probably take a few weeks.

But now that I know that this is all there is, I'll make a point to comment on any trait information that, under normal circumstanced, I'd assume you already know, like if it has cot mottling (if it's a Simcox, it could be African) and the flower color (I'll give length estimates too, but bear in mind that, with my conditions, the plants will likely be shorter than they would be elsewhere).

Latest posts