2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
the words "almost" and "drove" imply that you weren't already! :) hahahaha... :) j/k you know you're among your own kind of people here. no need to be bashful. :)
Yeah, I suppose I was already pretty far gone by that point. I've got terminal gang bean. :sick It might be contagious... for those not already infected. I think @Bluejay77 might be a carrier. :rolleyes:

Those hours in GRIN were tedious, but well spent. Found a really good shelly/dry bean, and a yellow mung bean. My main focus was on soybeans, though; found some good edamame cultivars, and some that are 50%+ protein dry. I try to offer some good non-GM alternatives for those interested in making their own tofu, miso, etc.

There are more soybeans in my collection than all my other beans put together... I must really be nuts! o_O

The USDA also has an unbelievable collection of cowpeas; but when I read their disease disclaimer, decided I'd pass on any of those... can't risk infecting what I've already collected. I passed on tepary beans for the same reason.

Trialed several eggplants from the Philippines too, one of which has done surprisingly well here given its origin.

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My family's French Pole Bean. Yes, they are that scarlet! It's a poor year for them, I really think they need a cool spring, planting them when it was hot was a bad idea, I believe they are used to it cold springs.
IMG_20190806_191627359.jpg

IMG_20190806_191544751.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose I was already pretty far gone by that point. I've got terminal gang bean. :sick It might be contagious... for those not already infected. I think @Bluejay77 might be a carrier. :rolleyes:

Those hours in GRIN were tedious, but well spent. Found a really good shelly/dry bean, and a yellow mung bean. My main focus was on soybeans, though; found some good edamame cultivars, and some that are 50%+ protein dry. I try to offer some good non-GM alternatives for those interested in making their own tofu, miso, etc.

There are more soybeans in my collection than all my other beans put together... I must really be nuts! o_O

The USDA also has an unbelievable collection of cowpeas; but when I read their disease disclaimer, decided I'd pass on any of those... can't risk infecting what I've already collected. I passed on tepary beans for the same reason.

Trialed several eggplants from the Philippines too, one of which has done surprisingly well here given its origin.

haha! :)

i was into growing soy for a while to make my own soymilk, but after growing some 40+ lbs one year and then not using much of them i stopped. the beans i used i just bought at a healthfood store that were marked organic. they were much better than the ones i used from the field next to us. :)

the edamame beans i bought from an on-line supplier and they were good but i've never been able to grow them here with the chipmunks keen on eating every sprout they can find. i gave up.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Yup that's how I also dry beans when there is too much wet weather. Up off the ground away from the moist soil, and with all the leaves trimed off the plants to increase air and sun through the vines like BeanQueen has done. The exceptions are that I screw in long screws into my poles at the top and part way down the pole so I can dry another set of bush beans. The other thing I do different is I that with my hand prunning shears and cut off the roots of the plants. I think it makes it easier to hang the plants on the screws. I don't tie them I use the branches of the plants to hang them on the screws.

I had to do some of this pulling of bush plants and hanging them to dry last year in September.

IMG_0053-9-22-18.jpg

They really dry nice off the ground away from the damp soil.

IMG_0055-9-22-18.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adams' Family Six Weeks is aptly named. picked some of them today as dried beans already.

It will be fun to view the new seed of this one. I think the seed that was given to me had a fair amount of age on it.

I'll have some website updating to do this fall too. Will be adding some of these new varieties to the pages. Will probably add another page to the network beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be fun to view the new seed of this one. I think the seed that was given to me had a fair amount of age on it.

I'll have some website updating to do this fall too. Will be adding some of these new varieties to the pages. Will probably add another page to the network beans.

the seed you sent me germinated well. i already have the base 60 seeds to return for these, but i will add some from some other plants to make sure i'm sending you the broadest selection i can get from them.

i think as a "Thank You" for doing this @Bluejay77 when i have a good amount of extra seeds to send even more than the 60 seeds is easy enough to do.

for a few $ more in postage it gives you more to work with in the coming years or you can just select the best for storage. i consider it fair to split the harvest with you. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts