2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, Thank you for that. When I do my bean show after I get all my bean photos done. You'll might be interested in 27-1, and 27-2. I grew both of them this year and will name them. I got one segregation out of both 27-1 and 2. I named 27-1 "Woodstock Red" and 27-2 "Indian Prairie". Put them both up on the website yesterday. Still have to pick names for the segregations they produced this summer.

Got some new seeds from my grow out of Flat Hollow this summer too. Look fairly nice. New photo on the site too.

Future grow outs of Tranquility will occur with my semi runner beans.

A woman from the state of New York is growing out 27-3 and will name that one. It will be intersting to see what she names the bean.

In 2015 I grew out numbers 1-24 and finally getting around to do a second grow out of some of those and name them. I've got a few of those to show this year too.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember you mentioning that someone else was growing out the 27-3's. The way these Will Bonsall beans are segregating I would not be surprised if she gets to name several. Hope so anyway, I think that makes it more fun.

I like those names. I took a look at them, look nice. Does that mean Flat Hollow did not segregate? The beans I sent you were pretty wrinkled, those look smooth, much nicer than mine.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flat Hollw did not segregate. Most of the beans you gave me didn't grow or one or two soon died after growing for a little while. I think I had one strong plant and one that also produced seed but wasn't as strong. Together theyproduced some pretty nice seed. You might of had some tough weather when you first grew the seeds that became Flat Hollow. Maybe very dry and then very wet. I have had some varieties lately producing fairly wrinkled seed. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the weather or moisture levels.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cooking up a huge pot of beans now for making four pots of chili tomorrow. they're making me hungry. :) i have these small very firm beans that you can cook for three hours before they even begin to think about falling apart. i begin by cooking them for an hour before i add the rest so they have a chance... :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 2019 bean crop has all been shelled and all their pictures have been taken. I'll start my bean show tomorrow with about 5 varieties a day. I put each varieties seeds on styro picnick plates. I did have them in three bedrooms in my house and some in the living room. I laid them out all together in the living room to get a one shot view of them all together then took their group photo. 162 plates which took a space of 14.5 feet long by over 7 feet wide (4.4196 meters long by 2.234184 meters wide).
ZV-Bean Plates -#1-2019.JPG

ZV-Bean Plates -#2-2019.JPG

ZV-Bean Plates -#3-2019.JPG

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello, all! I've been busy with more hours at work and haven't had a chance to pop in and read the thread until now! We had an abnormally late first frost this year. Usually Oct 15, but first one came Nov 1!! It was very much appreciated as some of my beans needed the extra two weeks desperately. I ripped down everything before the frost and froze some shellies. I'll be sending my network beans back in a couple weeks, @Bluejay77 if there are any from the list I'll be posting to FB you want, too, let me know

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 2019 bean crop has all been shelled and all their pictures have been taken. I'll start my bean show tomorrow with about 5 varieties a day. I put each varieties seeds on styro picnick plates. I did have them in three bedrooms in my house and some in the living room. I laid them out all together in the living room to get a one shot view of them all together then took their group photo. 162 plates which took a space of 14.5 feet long by over 7 feet wide (4.4196 meters long by 2.234184 meters wide).
View attachment 33429
View attachment 33430
View attachment 33431

very festive! :) looks nice. my random box tops don't look nearly that uniform.

are you happy with the results? :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2019 Bean Show Day #1

This year was not the greatest bean growing year however there always seems to be some neat surprises each season that makes all the work worth the effort.

The first bean is a Robert Lobitz Legacy bean. His legacy beans are the ones he would have probably been working with had he not passed away in 2006. It has not yet been named but soon as it seems stable I will be giving it a name with the same formula Robert used of naming his bean after places, counties, towns, rivers, creeks, valleys etc. This bean is a number coded bean and only Robert knew the meaning of this code. After I received a box of his legacy beans in 2015. I numbered all the packets. I thought it would help me keep track of any segregations or new crosses that resulted from them. I grew this bean last year in 2018 and one of the segregations from it I planted this year. The number of this bean was #15-Sux-YeE-6. The segregation looked like the first photo. However did not get back a single bean that looked like it this season. I planted 10 seeds of it and it developed two different off types or new segregations. Photos 2 and three are the new beans from #15-Sux-YeE-6. The first segregation looks like one of my original beans called Pawnee and the seed coat of this bean looks better in this same soil that I have grown Pawnee in before. Last time I grew Pawnee in this same soil it turned almost completely brown. Third photo is a shot of the entire crop of this bean 7.4 ounces (209.7 grams)

#15-Sux-YeE-6
#15 Sux YeE - 5  2018 Segregation.jpg

#15-Sux-YeE-7 #1.JPG

#15-Sux-YeE-6 - Segregation #1

#15-Sux-YeE-6 .JPG

#15-Sux-YeE-6 - Segregation #2

#15-Sux-YeE-6 & 7 Tray - 7.40 .JPG
-
Entire 2019 Seed crop of #15-Sux-YeE-6

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2019 Bean Show Day #1

#12-97-97B. Another Robert Lobitz legacy bean. I grew this bean last year and it did not segregate. Grew true to type and it also did this year. The quantity of seed that 10 plants produced was disappointing. I have a plot in my backyard that some beans do poorly in and some do fairly well. The second photo is the entire crop 1.15 ounces (32.6 grams) This bean grew in the same soil as did #15-Sux-YeE-6.

#12-97-97B
#12-97-97B.JPG

#12-97-97B Tray - 1.15.JPG

Entire 2019 crop of
#12-97-97B

Latest posts