2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I have some of those Armenian Giant around here somewhere. If I remember right they are good snaps but have to be picked when only six inches or so or they are fibrous. Also if I remember right they take a long time to mature.

Those Black Nightfall look interesting, would like to get some of them. I tend to like beans that have that frosted appearance, not only are they pretty but the tend to have great flavor and that one is semi-runner. Speaking of frosted beans the Penland Family Bean I was looking at on Russ's web site is interesting too.

@Bluejay77, might that Penland Family also be know and Rose or Rose Frost? If it is like the one I had many years ago it is a great snap bean. I'm putting it on my list too.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
Here is my list of beans I want to grow next year but I also want to get some new ones so may have to trim it down some.
H = Heirloom (these are ones I generally grow in semi-isolation)
SO = Stabilized Off-Type
US = Unstable Off-Type
M = Diverse Mix of pure varieties and crosses

SO- Hoosier Wonder Pole - descended from an accidental cross between heirlooms “Kentucky Wonder” as the mother and most likely, “Cherokee Trail of Tears” as father. They are in F5 generation and next year (2020) should show if they are fully stable.

H - Kentucky Wonder Pole – The original heirloom know for great flavor as a green bean and one of my most favorite for that. By saving seeds from pods with less blemishes over time they have changed somewhat. Seeds are larger and lighter colored than those I’ve seen for sale in recent years.

H- Blue Lake Pole – Great old heirloom, big vines make lots of fine green beans. White seeded strain, long adapted to SE Indiana.

H- NT ½ Runner – Another productive and reliable pole bean. I don’t know what the 1/2 runner really means as this strain is a large vine, easily hitting ten feet.

M- Survivor Pole Soup Beans – This is a mix or landrace of pole types we grow for bean soup, chili and the like. Over 100 varieties grown and selected for poor conditions.

M- Survivor Pole Snap Beans – Same as the dry except it made up of those that we like for green beans. This mix is less diverse than the dry mix.

H Refugee Semi Runner – What a find! GREAT flavor snap or dry! From Russ's collection. I'm gonna grow a fifty foot row!

M Survivor Semi-Runner Dry Mix – A new project looking to develop a semi- runner type in same conditions as the full pole variety. Refugee and its crossed descendants along with about 15 other semi-runner varieties are the foundation of this project.

M Survivor Semi-Runner Snap Mix – Same as the dry mix except limited to those good for use as green beans.

US ESCAPEE – Tentative name for a segregation out of a Refugee off-type. Similar vine habit but longer, straighter pods than any of its siblings or it’s Refugee parent. Larger solid brown seeds and very productive. Can it rival Refugee?

M Greasy Bean Mix – Just a mix up of about 15 kinds of greasy (fuzz-less) podded pole beans, mostly originating in Eastern Kentucky.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77, might that Penland Family also be know and Rose or Rose Frost? If it is like the one I had many years ago it is a great snap bean. I'm putting it on my list too.

The bean that I have seen called Rose is more like Ohio Pole. Penland Family has been grown around the Knoxville, Tennessee area as far back as the 1860's and probably even much earlier. I've never tried Penland as a snap bean yet.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #4

Bonanza Little Pinto - Bush, Dry

This is one of the Robert Lobitz beans that I got in a trade with the woman from Maine who inherited a deceased SSE members seed collection. Robert introduced this bean through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 2004. The beans are small but produce a lot of them. 10 plants produced 13.50 ounces (382 grams) of small pinto looking beans.

Bonanza Little Pinto.jpg.JPG

Bonanza Little Pinto - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Bosnian Pole - Pole, Snap

This year was about the third time growing this bean. It did alright. The plants were smaller than usual. The beans were not quite as good as I've seen them in previous seasons. Total seed harvest was 8.60 ounces (243 grams).

Bosnian Pole.JPG

Bosnian Pole - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Brauner Bar (Brown Bear) - Semi Runner, Dry

This bean had been producing a large volume of it's seed as an off type. Some years one sometime 2 of them. I kept picking the beans that looked like Brauner Bar and using those to grow the next generation of beans. Finally this year the bean not only did very well but didn't produce any off types. Total harvest of beans was 15.25 ounces (432 grams).

Brauner Bar.JPG

Brauner Bar- Semi Runner, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Brejo - Pole, Snap

Indigenous bean. I don't know which American Indian tribe grew these. The bean was late and struggled this year. Total seed harvest was 3.75 ounces (105 grams) The bean naturally produces seeds that are somewhat flattened and curved or bent to one side.

Brejo.JPG

Brejo - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Canoe Outcross #1 - Semi Runner, Dry

Last year in 2018 I discovered two semi runner plants growing among my row of Canoe. Each one produced a different seed. Canoe Outcross #1 produced the seed in the first photo. Which I liked and thought was interesting. Black with what looked like fine little tan scratch marks all over the surface. I did not get a single seed that looked like it this year. Instead the bean produced 4 segregations. The fourth one I like the best and will eventually try growing it. Total bean harvest from this outcross was 5.65 ounces (160 grams).

Canoe-Outcross.jpg

2018 Canoe outcross - Semi Runner

Canoe Outcross #1 Seg #1.JPG

2019 Segregation #1- Semi Runner

Canoe-Outcross.jpg

2018 Canoe Outcross - Semi Runner

Canoe Outcross #1 Seg #1.JPG

2019 Canoe Outcross Segregation #1 - Semi Runner

Canoe Outcross #1 Seg #2.JPG

2019 Canoe Outcross Segregation #2

Canoe Outcross #1 Seg #3.JPG

2019 Canoe Outcross Segregation #3

Canoe Outcross #1 Seg #4.JPG

2019 Canoe Outcross Segregation #4

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #5

Canoe Outcross #2 - Semi Runner, Dry

The second semi runner that I found growing in a row of Canoe put out the bean seed coat in the first photo. I planted it too this year curious to see what it would bring. It produced 4 segregations plus one set of seed that looked pretty much like itself from last year. Second photo looks like last years then the photos 3 - 6 for the segregations. A total of 22.85 ounces (647 grams) of seed harvested by planting 15 seeds.

Canoe-Outcross - kb - #2.jpg

Canoe Outcross #2 2018 - Semi Runner, Dry

Canoe Outcross #2 OT #3.JPG

Canoe Outcross #2 2019 - Semi Runner, dry

Canoe Outcross #2 OT #1.JPG

Canoe Segregation #1 2019 - Semi Runner, Dry

Canoe Outcross #2 OT #2.JPG

Canoe Segregation #2 2019 - Semi Runner Dry,

Canoe Outcross #2 OT #4.JPG

Canoe Segregation #3 2019 - Semi Runner, Dry

Canoe Outcross #2 OT #5.JPG

Canoe Segregation #4 2019 - Semi Runner, Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #5

Cassie's Purple Pod - Pole Snap,

I've grown this bean back in the early 1980's. It was traded around in Seed Savers then too. Today it's one of the more than 6,000 bean varieties in the Heritage Farm Collection. Long Pods up to 9 inches tender and stringless. 8 plants produced 10 ounces of seed (283 grams)

Cassie's Purple Pod.JPG

Cassie's Purple Pod - Pole Snap,

Latest posts