2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the largest and smallest variety that I have grown this year. On the left: Piękny Jaś z Doliny Dunajca strain (...from Dunajec River Valley). On the right: Teaching Drum # 18. And Jacob's Cattle to catch the scale.

Artorius, The large white bean looks like a Runner bean Phaseolus Coccineus. Is that correct? It's huge !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will not have a 2019 Bean show until I can recover or retake all my 2019 harvest bean seeds. Today I was making entries to my 2020 SSE yearbook listings and had my flash drive plugged into my computer as I was uploading photos for new listings. The electricity flashed off then on just for a second and when I got back to my 2019 harvested beans photo file all the photos were gone.

oh drats @Bluejay77!

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few more summer photos of Piękny Jaś z Doliny Dunajca bean.

Piękny Jaś z Doliny Dunajca 2a.jpg

Piękny Jaś kwiaty.jpg

Piękny Jaś z Doliny Dunajca 3a.jpg

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #5

Champagne - Pole Green Snap,

Seed of this bean was given to John Raymond Hepler plant breeder and horticultural professor at the University of New Hampshire by Ernie Champagne in the 1940's. J.R.'s son Billy who started the Hepler Seed Co. at the age of 12 carried this bean in his catalog in 1952. The bean has long up to 9 inch pods. The bean did quite well this year. I harvested a total of 13.30 ounces ( 377 grams) of white seed from a planting of 8 seeds although I don't know if all 8 seeds grew. I may of had 5 or 6 plants.

View attachment 33493
Champagne - Pole Green Snap,
When I've grown Champagne, it set a lot of seed - in fact, more than it seemed able to sustain to maturity. Much of the dry seed was deformed, often 1-2 seeds per pod. Even after sorting, though, the seed yield per plant was very high, as was the snap yield. It seemed more heat resistant than the other beans grown that year too.
These are the largest and smallest varieties that I have grown this year. On the left: Piękny Jaś z Doliny Dunajca strain (...from Dunajec River Valley). On the right: Teaching Drum # 18. And Jacob's Cattle to catch the scale.

View attachment 33516
Beautiful. Piekny Jas looks like a high-quality shelly bean, all the photos I've seen show smooth, fat seed with little deformity. There were a couple good threads about them on the Gardenweb bean forum. @aftermidnight obtained seed last year, and sent me a few... I hope to grow them next year for a seed increase.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will not have a 2019 Bean show until I can recover or retake all my 2019 harvest bean seeds. Today I was making entries to my 2020 SSE yearbook listings and had my flash drive plugged into my computer as I was uploading photos for new listings. The electricity flashed off then on just for a second and when I got back to my 2019 harvested beans photo file all the photos were gone.
I hope you are able to recover your photos. Info can often be recovered from a corrupted hard drive, not sure if that is possible with a flash drive... the voltage spike might have damaged the chip. At least you would be able to reproduce the dry seed photos, hopefully no photos of plants or pods were also lost.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #6

Back in Business with the bean show. I found all the photos after all. What a relief.

Cleopatra - Pole - Snap. It has small speckled seeds and really produces a profusion of pods. This bean was one of the many beans that came to me as an outcross from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. A young woman from West Virginia gave this bean it's first grow out and named it. I grew it this year and it gave me the same seed again. A total of 11 ounces of seed harvest (312 grams).

Cleopatra.JPG

Cleopatra - Pole Snap

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cold Creek Segregation #1 - Bush - Dry.

This comes from one of Robert Lobitz legacy beans in 2018. A segregation that looked interesting enough to want to see what it might produce. It did produce some beans like itself again but also Three more segregations. One bean is similar to Cold creek segregation #1 but smaller seed and more white and a smaller eye patch. Another segregation that looks somewhat similar to Canoe, and a smaller version of that oval with the similar canoe color pattern. There were a total of 6.25 ounces of seed in this grow out (177 grams).

Cold Creek Seg 1 #1.JPG

Cold Creek Segregation #1 - Bush, Dry

Cold Creek Seg 1 #2.JPG

Cold Creek Segregation #1-1

Cold Creek Seg 1 #3.JPG

Cold Creek Segregation #1-2

Cold Creek Seg 1 #4.JPG

Cold Creek Segregation #1-3

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Cherry Trout - Bush - Dry. An original bean of mine from the early 1980's and named by me. It's in the Seed Savers Exchange bean collection. I don't know if they have ever grown it out. Perhaps once in 35+ years. No off types. I harvested 1 ounce (28 grams). Very little seed.

Cherry Trout.JPG

Cherry Trout - Bush, Dry

Latest posts