2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Is that Midland seed swap attended by a pretty good number of people? Ben Cohen from the Small House Farm will be there and Karen Golden of Michigan Heirlooms might be there too. I'm looking forward to it.

last year was the first one i've been to. will be back. last year the weather was horrible but there were plenty of people coming through, but i'm not sure what you mean by good number of people. to me seeing anyone else other than me is good. :) i talked to or said hi to over 100 people and gave beans, peas, garlic, etc. away to 50 or more people. i'm hoping next year to do more. :) i'll have a lot more seeds and experience this time.

i think my approach is just too broad and my presentation was too hard for people to see what i was offering. this coming year i'm not going to have so many large containers that people can't see into and just have all small containers with clear tops. i've already got a lot of samples made up from when i was consolidating my collection last winter and this spring and so i will just add to those.

it would be really nice to have small envelopes and lables, but i just don't have that kind of $ or time so i had to compromise with something that would work and also something that can be recycled/reused - which is important to me.

i am not a big fan of plastic in general, but 2oz sample cups with clear tops work and i can get more fairly easily and if people bring some back to me i can refill them. :) every time we go to the big box store and they have samples i get a few here or there so after a year i have a few hundred ones that i can just give away on top of the new ones i bought that fit within my budget.

i'm interested in the topic and experiences in general and talking about what you decide to bring and presentation and such. if you want to jump over to my thread about seed swaps that would be great. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
last year was the first one i've been to. will be back. last year the weather was horrible but there were plenty of people coming through, but i'm not sure what you mean by good number of people. to me seeing anyone else other than me is good. :) i talked to or said hi to over 100 people and gave beans, peas, garlic, etc. away to 50 or more people. i'm hoping next year to do more. :) i'll have a lot more seeds and experience this time.

i think my approach is just too broad and my presentation was too hard for people to see what i was offering. this coming year i'm not going to have so many large containers that people can't see into and just have all small containers with clear tops. i've already got a lot of samples made up from when i was consolidating my collection last winter and this spring and so i will just add to those.

it would be really nice to have small envelopes and lables, but i just don't have that kind of $ or time so i had to compromise with something that would work and also something that can be recycled/reused - which is important to me.

i am not a big fan of plastic in general, but 2oz sample cups with clear tops work and i can get more fairly easily and if people bring some back to me i can refill them. :) every time we go to the big box store and they have samples i get a few here or there so after a year i have a few hundred ones that i can just give away on top of the new ones i bought that fit within my budget.

i'm interested in the topic and experiences in general and talking about what you decide to bring and presentation and such. if you want to jump over to my thread about seed swaps that would be great.

When I asked about good number of people coming to the swap. I was thinking maybe in terms of hundreds maybe 300 and upwards.

What I will do is put 20 seeds in a 2 x 3 inch ziploc and label it like I do and sell them for a $1.00 each. I will have them on my table in alphabetical order and probably seperated in catagories like bush dry, pole dry, semi runner dry, pole snap,
and maybe bush snap. I might even do sheets of photos of everything I bring for people to look at without having to pull out a packet all the time and look at the seeds from the back of the packet.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I asked about good number of people coming to the swap. I was thinking maybe in terms of hundreds maybe 300 and upwards.

What I will do is put 20 seeds in a 2 x 3 inch ziploc and label it like I do and sell them for a $1.00 each. I will have them on my table in alphabetical order and probably seperated in catagories like bush dry, pole dry, semi runner dry, pole snap,
and maybe bush snap. I might even do sheets of photos of everything I bring for people to look at without having to pull out a packet all the time and look at the seeds from the back of the packet.

i don't know how many people total that attended. i'd guess a few hundred of which i probably said hello to half and talked to a quarter.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Is that Midland seed swap attended by a pretty good number of people? Ben Cohen from the Small House Farm will be there and Karen Golden of Michigan Heirlooms might be there too. I'm looking forward to it.

I opened the Small House Farm website and almost died when I saw the Ocean View beans. I immediately wrote to Ben Cohen and asked if he could send seeds to Poland. I'm curious what he will answer me.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #11

Holy - Pole, Dry

This years grow of this bean was just terrible. I orginally got it from Mark Christensen of the New Zealand Bean Project in 2011. It was brought back from Europe after the second world war to New Zealand by service men. It has pretty much the same story as the French bean Monstrance. I didn't even bother to weigh the seeds I got from this bean this year. About enough to hold in the palm of your hand.

View attachment 33600
Holy - Pole, Dry

I grew Monstrance bean last year and harvested 610 grams (21,517 ounces) from four plants.

DSCN3713a.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius, Nice looking seed in your jars. You have nice mid November weather and it looks like the middle of winter here. We have beenway below normal in temperatures since late October. I was wondering who was getting the mild weather. It had to be somewhere.

Latest posts