2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1D953186-0C35-482C-9B33-6C692125E385.jpeg
FE472741-031E-4AC2-9B1E-EFC2B1C0A334.jpeg
I have grown just two network beans - Mbombo Green and Anasazi. Both have struggled a little and neither for me has been a pole bean in eastern England. Mbombo Green made it to about three feet high; Anasazi was a rather delicate tangle of a bush. Luckily Mbombo Green which has finished completely now has yielded enough to return. Anasazi suffered a little rabbit damage early on but has also been very slow to form beans. I have harvested one pod! A few others have formed but whether they make it or not is anyone’s guess. Perhaps I have other beans which I can send in place of Anasazi and try again next year, knowing more of its habit and making sure I start it early. Rather disappointing not to have had more success with these two beans.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 33125 View attachment 33126 I have grown just two network beans - Mbombo Green and Anasazi. Both have struggled a little and neither for me has been a pole bean in eastern England. Mbombo Green made it to about three feet high; Anasazi was a rather delicate tangle of a bush. Luckily Mbombo Green which has finished completely now has yielded enough to return. Anasazi suffered a little rabbit damage early on but has also been very slow to form beans. I have harvested one pod! A few others have formed but whether they make it or not is anyone’s guess. Perhaps I have other beans which I can send in place of Anasazi and try again next year, knowing more of its habit and making sure I start it early. Rather disappointing not to have had more success with these two beans.

Sounds like the beans grew more as semi runner plants. Oddly enough I have grown an number of pole beans this year that I have seen over grow my pole supports in previous grow outs. This year however they are remaining low to the ground. I have no idea what might have caused that to happen.

The Mbombo Green seed looks beautiful. Hang on to the Anasazi and try it again next year.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like the beans grew more as semi runner plants. Oddly enough I have grown an number of pole beans this year that I have seen over grow my pole supports in previous grow outs. This year however they are remaining low to the ground. I have no idea what might have caused that to happen.

The Mbombo Green seed looks beautiful. Hang on to the Anasazi and try it again next year.
Thanks Russ. I’d really like to try Anasazi again. I’ll also email you when the season’s over and see if there’s any other variety that’s at all useful to you.
A practical question: do you freeze beans on arrival as a matter of course to eliminate any possible weevils, or shall I put them in the freezer for a few days before I send them?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Russ. I’d really like to try Anasazi again. I’ll also email you when the season’s over and see if there’s any other variety that’s at all useful to you.
A practical question: do you freeze beans on arrival as a matter of course to eliminate any possible weevils, or shall I put them in the freezer for a few days before I send them?

New seed crop goes into freezer storage and stays there until needed. I keep a very small amount of seed at the temperature of my cellar in jars to fill seed requests. If someone lives in an area where weevils inhabit beans it doesn't make any difference because they are not going to survive my prolonged frozen storage anyway.

The range of animals and insects is an interesting thing. When I lived in the county just west of me in the 1980's. I lived about 30 miles west of where I am now. I discoverd I had weevils. At first I didn't know what they were that was making holes in my new beans right about Christmas time every year, but my first instinct was to put the dry seed in the freezer for about three days. I soon discovered that stoped them. I could see the little bugs crawling around at the bottom of a jar of beans. So while living in that place it was my usual practise to freeze dry seed by about the middle of November every year. Interestingly we don't have weevils where I live now just 30 miles east of my one time home of the 1980's.

Just out of curiosity do you have bean weevils where you live?

When I sent you beans in the spring did I remember to include a USDA green and yellow seed import label for your package and a seed inventory list for the inside of the package? Without it, It's possible U.S. customs could confiscate your package and destroy your work. We don't want that to happen.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew two varieties this year for the network, Seneca Strawberry and Indian Mound. Both are vigorous pole varieties that are loaded with large pods. Each pod has about 5-6 beans.

Such great looking seed too. How is the drying season going where you live. I've had so much wet weather here this year. lots of bean seed just rotting away.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In answer to your questions, Russ. I discovered this season that I do have bean weevil as I found some seed in storage had got the little beasties. I'd not had any trouble before but I'm growing more beans now so I guess there's more to attract them.
And yes, thanks, you did very efficiently send the green and yellow label and the inventory.

Here rain has only just seriously set in, so today in a fine spell I've taken up some plants of bush beans to dry inside in a barn. Nevertheless I'm hoping for at least another three weeks of fairly good growing time - but might be disappointed!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
more rain recently than i'd like, but i caught up on picking last week so there shouldn't be too much at risk for a few more days now. will start checking again this weekend...

Latest posts