2019 tomato list

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
my plan this season was to limit the number of tomato varieties being started and kind of whittle it down to my top 3. That plan is now out because there is lots of seeds I have not tried lol. Here is what has been seeded
NYers
*Phoenix
Shoshone
*Bushsteak Hybrid
Sunsugar
*Sweet millions
*Jelly bean (yellow)
Those that have the asterisk by them we have not grown before. If anyone has grown any of these before let me know what to expect. What are you trying that is new to you?

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Collector,

This is my second year of gardening and made the rookie mistake of not keeping track of really much of anything last year. I know I had 2 or 3 types of cherry tomatoes and one large, beefsteak type. Here's what tomatoes I'll be trialing this year:

-Fourth of July Hybrid
-Tasty Treat
-Cherokee Purple
-Land Race Currant
-Tiny Tim
-Tigerella
-Japanese Black Trifle
-Tommy Toe
-Black Cherry Russian

Any thoughts, tips or experience with any of these?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Michigan_Nick i have not tried any of the varieties on your list, although I have thought about the 4th of July on more than one occasion. I also grew a current tomato last season named Alberto shatters, if the one you are going to grow is anything like that was :: look out. I am curious to know how tigerella and the black cherry Russian turn out.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my first year ever even paying attention to the tomato type I’m growing! A few times in the past I’ve just grabbed a baby plant at the hardware store and stuck it in some dirt. This year I’m starting from seed. I’ve got Amish paste, Apricot Brandywine, and Dwarf Russian Swirl. Excited to see how they go! I’d like to try one of the black varieties next year, please keep this thread updated on their results!

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Collector

Uh oh what was the story with the Alberto Currant? I don't know whether to be intrigued or worried haha.

I'll let you know how the 4th of July Hybrid turns out if it crosses my mind! Will have surplus of all if anyone's looking to exchange. I'll be making a thread for my general progress anyways so keep an eye out!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector , have you ever grown Latah? It was developed by UI Moscow, (i think, without looking) for our cool nights and short season. I grew it last year and it did pretty good. I'm growing it again this year. I grew it in a container on a clients deck last year and they have requested it again.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm keeping myself to a small number this year (limited space) and exlusively to currants/ wilds (on the grounds that they and they alone seem hardy enough to produce decently before dying) After going through my file cabinet I've narrowed down to five

White currant
Ramito Dorado (grown before)
Ramito Dulce (grown before)
Solanum Chilense
Another wild currant from Sacred Succulents

I'd LOVE to plant some larger tomatoes, but it seem like every time I plant anything bigger than a cherry, I get one cherry sized fruit off the plant and then it conks out.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , I have not grown the Latah, but I have grown the Benewah and Shoshones, that were also developed at UI Moscow in the late 70s along with the latah and one other I cannot think of right now. I do plan on trying all of them eventually. The Benewah were good fast producers of medium small fruits but lots of them. I thought that the Shoshone were kind of the same maybe a bit bigger but prolific. Let me know how the latah does this season.
I checked online the fourth one I was trying to think of is the Sandpoint. Much the same as the other three.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my plan this season was to limit the number of tomato varieties being started and kind of whittle it down to my top 3. That plan is now out because there is lots of seeds I have not tried lol. Here is what has been seeded
NYers
*Phoenix
Shoshone
*Bushsteak Hybrid
Sunsugar
*Sweet millions
*Jelly bean (yellow)
Those that have the asterisk by them we have not grown before. If anyone has grown any of these before let me know what to expect. What are you trying that is new to you?

several years ago we had some sunsugar plants given to us by someone who said she didn't need so many so i stuck them out in the NE garden almost to the far edge with the rhubarb. i was very happy with them and considered them good eating. they reseeded themselves for the next year but i don't recall getting many fruits from them because they were sprouted late and had too much competition from the surrounding plants.

this season we're not growing any unusual tomato varieties.

enjoy the adventures and new flavors/experiences. :)

Latest posts