2019 tomato list

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Michigan_Nick the Alberto shatters grew into a wild tangled up shrub that had what seemed like thousands of tiny tomatoes all over it. It was very unruly and unkempt. I would like to find a spot to plant it that is out of the way and let it go to reseed itself and have a sort of tomato thicket.

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Michigan_Nick the Alberto shatters grew into a wild tangled up shrub that had what seemed like thousands of tiny tomatoes all over it. It was very unruly and unkempt. I would like to find a spot to plant it that is out of the way and let it go to reseed itself and have a sort of tomato thicket.

I've yet to try a currant variety of tomato (from what I can remember last year). That's exciting though, I wonder if I can get my currants to grow and produce like yours or if it was just that type specifically. :fl

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner, if you like the currant tomatoes try the Alberto shatters. You will have to prone to keep them in line though.

I'll take it under advisement, but I am good for now.

Truth be told, what I really like to find is a green when ripe currant tomato (if such a thing exists). I've sort of lost my taste for most of the red ones (as I said, what I am growing is out of desperation, not desire)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll take it under advisement, but I am good for now.

Truth be told, what I really like to find is a green when ripe currant tomato (if such a thing exists). I've sort of lost my taste for most of the red ones (as I said, what I am growing is out of desperation, not desire)

i'm not sure of your location there @Pulsegleaner ? are you limited to container gardening or is the season too quick or ?

arg, sorry i have to go, so i will take your answer off the air and see it later. :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's kinda the first. Our soil is crap and such crap that ameliorating it to the point where it would not be crap and/or replacing it with soil that is not crap would be economically infeasible.(it's basically a mixture of rocks, hemlock needles and oak leaves, with a lot of black walnut detritus mixed in.) So tomatoes planted in the ground never produce anything here. Add on a critter population that EATS anything that does poke it's head out, and our tomatoes are sort of limited to what will grow in pots on the patio (I just got a new tomato growing setup for my birthday which may help a little, but I have little confidence.) And it's a struggle for them even there.

And actually the season has been short the last few years. We generally now don't get spring weather until well into the end of May (and often not until the end of June). It theoretically can last until well into October, but there are usually enough frigid days in September to put veggies under enough stress to start closing up by then.

And my location is the Lower Hudson Valley.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
my plan this season was to limit the number of tomato varieties being started and kind of whittle it down to my top 3. That plan is now out because there is lots of seeds I have not tried lol. Here is what has been seeded
NYers
*Phoenix
Shoshone
*Bushsteak Hybrid
Sunsugar
*Sweet millions
*Jelly bean (yellow)
Those that have the asterisk by them we have not grown before. If anyone has grown any of these before let me know what to expect. What are you trying that is new to you?
Why have you set this arbitrary # of types for yourself? Forget that and at least do 1 plant of each kind.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
*Sweet millions

The only one on your list I've grown is Sweet Millions, I'm growing them again this year. A very prolific red cherry tomato, indeterminate. You will want to trellis or stake it somehow.

In Arkansas I always planted a cherry tomato next to my garden gate and supported it on my garden fence. That way I could grab ripe cherry tomatoes to snack on when going in, out, or just walking by. I considered Sweet millions one of the best for that, even during the heat of summer it produced a lot of good tasting cherry tomatoes. You are in a totally different growing climate than me, hopefully you will enjoy it.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is my tomato list for this year, downscaling from 30 varieties last year:
Ananas Noir
Chuckloma*
Cow’s Tit
Etoile Blanche d'Anvers
Green Zebra
Hillbilly Potatoe Leaf
Larissa’s Russian Beauty*
Mariana’s Peace*
Mary Robinson German Bicolor
New Yorker*
Purple Sophie
Purple Russian*
Snowball
Turks Muts
Yellow Pear Shaped
Black Krim

*= new for me

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my tomato list for this year, downscaling from 30 varieties last year:
Ananas Noir
Chuckloma*
Cow’s Tit
Etoile Blanche d'Anvers
Green Zebra
Hillbilly Potatoe Leaf
Larissa’s Russian Beauty*
Mariana’s Peace*
Mary Robinson German Bicolor
New Yorker*
Purple Sophie
Purple Russian*
Snowball
Turks Muts
Yellow Pear Shaped
Black Krim

*= new for me
Wow Jen! 30 varieties last year, you weren't messing around haha. Why the downsize?

Latest posts