2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look like fun! I love pinto beans, I even can them for "now" cooking. I mash them up with our own home grown and processed lard for refried beans, they make great burritos or nachos. Yum! If you offer some of these up next year, I'm in!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in search of a purple podded green bean for canning. I grew Kentucky Wonder beans this year for canning. It took forever to pick them because the green beans were so hard to find. We are loving the canned green beans, wish I had canned more of them. I froze some for my son, gave away beans to neighbors, share the wealth.

Does anybody have purple podded green beans and will you please share seed?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in search of a purple podded green bean for canning. I grew Kentucky Wonder beans this year for canning. It took forever to pick them because the green beans were so hard to find. We are loving the canned green beans, wish I had canned more of them. I froze some for my son, gave away beans to neighbors, share the wealth.

pole or bush?

i don't think i have any that will work for you as my luck with green beans has always been poor (i can grow them, but the seeds tend to never come back) and i only have one purple podded bean that eats well as a fresh bean but it is very slender and probably won't can well. it does make excellent shelly and dry beans though.

i have a billion of them so if you want to try some anyways i can send some. they are bush beans.

i have your address already so let me know and i'll wing some your way.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be glad to try them! I have never canned green beans, and found that we like them and the added bonus of popping open a jar and heating them up sure makes supper easier. The Asian long beans that I grow turn to mush when canned, I don't like them canned, only fresh.

Thanks!

I would like a pole variety also if anyone has one. I'll try both and post my findings!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule,

I've got a pole purpled podded bean called Cassie's Purple Pod. I have a fairly decent supply of the seed. I could send you a 3 x 4 inch ziploc baggie of them if you want to give them a try. 8 to 9 inch pods and you'll have enough to can for sure.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be glad to try them! I have never canned green beans, and found that we like them and the added bonus of popping open a jar and heating them up sure makes supper easier. The Asian long beans that I grow turn to mush when canned, I don't like them canned, only fresh.

Thanks!

I would like a pole variety also if anyone has one. I'll try both and post my findings!

i have a generic purple podded pole bean, but i never tried to eat the beans when they were young to see if they were edible as a fresh bean. :) i'll send a few of those to you too to try out. perhaps they'll be edible. if they're not you can ditch them after you try them. the Purple Dove beans are bush beans. very edible when fresh for the first few pickings when the beans are young. after they hang for a week then they start to get fiber in them and i leave them for the shelly or dry stage.

what i'm thinking about them though is that so far they seem pretty tolerant of heat compared to many other beans i have. that doesn't mean you don't have to water them, but that at least they seem to have a chance. the other nice thing is that they can be done early.

what i wonder about with canning or freezing them is if they are minimally processed if they'd work. we don't do canned beans here because we don't have a pressure canner so i've not tried canning these nor have we ever froze them (we eat them as much as we can pick).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2020 Bean Show
Day 7

Dalmatian - Bush Dry. This is one of my original named beans from the early 1980's. You probably seen the photo of the bean I put on your address label when you get your grow out beans. Dalmatian Since 1982. It's seed mother is a bean that Artorius showed the photo of on post 326 on October 29th called Ernie's Big Eye.

Dana's Soldier - Bush Dry. This is a beautiful bean that is an original named bean from the late Ernest B. Dana of Etna, New Hampshire. Ernie loved beans with a Jacob's Cattle type patterning. Productive nice bean to grow.

Dalmatian.jpg Dana's Soldier.jpg
Dalmatian...................................................................Dana's Soldier

Dapple Grey - Bush Dry. Don't know what the origin of this bean is, but is a pretty bean that a lot of people seem to like. This year was the 5th time I've grown the bean since 2011. Originally acquired the bean from a seed seller on Ebay.

Dazzle - Bush Dry. This is an outcross I found in another outcross I named Holstein that is a semi runner discoverd about 4 years ago. This bean is a true bush and it's markings are more like Jacob's Cattle and doesn't seem to be soil sensitive. So far this bean has produced both yellow and green pods.

Dapple Grey.jpg Dazzle.jpg
Dapple Grey................................................................Dazzle

Delano - Bush Purple Podded Dry. This is one of Robert Lobitz's original named beans that he introduced through the Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook in 2005 and 2006. The seeds are mostly off white and ocassionally blushed with a little purple.

delano-2020.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule,

I've got a pole purpled podded bean called Cassie's Purple Pod. I have a fairly decent supply of the seed. I could send you a 3 x 4 inch ziploc baggie of them if you want to give them a try. 8 to 9 inch pods and you'll have enough to can for sure.

Yes, I sure would like that! Thank you so much!

@flowerbug I would like to try your other variety also. Thanks

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Delano - Bush Purple Podded Dry. This is one of Robert Lobitz's original named beans that he introduced through the Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook in 2005 and 2006. The seeds are mostly off white and ocassionally blushed with a little purple.

View attachment 37556

arg! another RL purple podded bush bean! :) lol

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

If you are still looking for pole varieties, I have several:

Blue Marbutt - pods 5-6", round, dark green w/purple blush, firm pods, very productive, shiny black seeds. Southern source. 2015 seed (I hope to renew these in 2021)

Czechoslovakian - pods 5-6", flat, slightly curved, deep purple, purplish-gray seeds, tolerant of a wide range of conditions, and one of the most productive & reliable pole beans I grow... but I'm not sure how well it would can. 2020 seed.

Grandma Roberts Purple Pole - pods 5", round, purple, very high yield, grayish-buff seeds, heavy seed production (have over 4# from a 12' row), from the same Southern source as Blue Marbutt. 2014 seed (another one overdue for renewal)

Toby Poe's Purple - 5-6", very similar to Grandma Roberts, but larger pods & slightly less productive, also originally from a Southern source. 2016 seed.

Of those above, Blue Marbutt (although not completely purple) or Grandma Roberts are probably the best suited to canning, although Czechoslovakian might be worth trying.

I also have seed for Trionfo Violetto & Kew Blue (which are very similar flat-podded purple snaps). Both seem to be more Northern adapted, and while the snaps are good, productivity is low compared to those above... I may drop both of them from my collection.

Just out of curiosity though... why purple? Purple snap beans turn green when cooked or canned. I could recommend a very good green-podded bush snap, Woods Mountain Crazy Bean. It has 5-6" creaseback pods (sort of a figure 8 cross section), very firm, densely branched & heavy leaf cover w/ a deep root system, and is incredibly productive for a bush bean. It is a family heirloom from Arkansas, and a good canner. 2017 seed.

If you would like to try any of these, just send a PM.