2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

It sure was fun seeing you and all your beans at the Central Michigan Seed Swap 2-23-2020. Nice meeting your mom too. It all went by too fast.

it really did and i was so worn out afterwards it took me a few days to recover. Monday when i got on the scale and weighed myself i decided i must have talked my butt off. lol

it was great to meet you too Russ! we didn't really have enough time to talk beans in depth that i would have really wanted as we were both rather busy almost the entire event. *whew*

the only time i really had to talk to people was the few minutes before it got busy in the morning and really i could have used another hour for that sort of thing. i did manage to get a few seeds picked up as a trade from someone else so that at least did work out.

i just noticed today that my website was slightly messed up from a change i had made so i've been fixing that and fiddling around with computer stuff. i can do way too much of that. i still have so much to learn...

how did the germination tests go? :)

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
it really did and i was so worn out afterwards it took me a few days to recover. Monday when i got on the scale and weighed myself i decided i must have talked my butt off. lol

it was great to meet you too Russ! we didn't really have enough time to talk beans in depth that i would have really wanted as we were both rather busy almost the entire event. *whew*

the only time i really had to talk to people was the few minutes before it got busy in the morning and really i could have used another hour for that sort of thing. i did manage to get a few seeds picked up as a trade from someone else so that at least did work out.

i just noticed today that my website was slightly messed up from a change i had made so i've been fixing that and fiddling around with computer stuff. i can do way too much of that. i still have so much to learn...

how did the germination tests go

The germination tests went well. Some varieties were low that I expected and some varieties that are now 7 and 8 years old are amazing me. Maybe this coming Monday I will have to put the results up on the thread.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lori B,

I have Red Swan. I would imagine the seed you have is the same as the one's I have. However it would be interesting if a Red Podded Red Swan actually did turn up from somone somtime to see if there is any difference there.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Eleanor,

Can you type up what you told me at Karen's house about the Charlie Tinker's Grey Ball, and the name of the fellow who discovered the gene for gray in beans. I might like to use that in the description of Charlie Tinker on my website.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alice Sunshine test. The seed germinated within 48 hours. I didn't want to throw it away, so I planted it in a pot.
In pots I also check beans that I don't know if they are bush or pole.

Alice Sunshine.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I'm having a hard time making out the tag you put in one of your containers of beans you gave me. I can make out part of it as Romanian Pole Yellow Wax. The top part that starts with the letter O I don't know what that is. I took a photo of the tag to show you which one I am speaking of.

Bean Name Tag.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I'm having a hard time making out the tag you put in one of your containers of beans you gave me. I can make out part of it as Romanian Pole Yellow Wax. The top part that starts with the letter O I don't know what that is. I took a photo of the tag to show you which one I am speaking of.

View attachment 34512

lol, yeah, those are my chick'n scratches all right!

[edit @digitS' i think it was you who asked me if i had a sample of my horrible writing on-line so this would be one of them :) and you have to understand that this sample is when i'm trying to be very careful and clear! lol ]

Olteanus Romanian Yellow Wax Pole, i'm pretty sure that is a name so an apostrophe would probably be right in there as in Olteanu's, ah yes, there it is hiding above the s. :)

the CHZ-2008 tells me who i got them from aka Zeedman and any date he either got them from someone else or grew them. that was one of the box that he sent me before he knew he was going to the seedswap himself.

i am planning on trying to grow it sometime myself so we'll see how it goes and if any of them are viable.

any beans i got from you would have an RC- in front of them.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Ok, The way you had crossed the T and the cross mark met with L. I thought perhaps the name was O'Hearn's. So how old is the seed? What year was the seed grown in? I'm trying to make up packets for these varieties right now.

All the seed I got from you at the Michigan Seed Swap will go into the freezer for now. All my bean ground is all planned out for 2020. Maybe I can grow some of it in 2021.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Ok, The way you had crossed the T and the cross mark met with L. I thought perhaps the name was O'Hearn's. So how old is the seed? What year was the seed grown in? I'm trying to make up packets for these varieties right now.

All the seed I got from you at the Michigan Seed Swap will go into the freezer for now. All my bean ground is all planned out for 2020. Maybe I can grow some of it in 2021.

i only have the date 2008 on those. i'm not sure if that was the year they were grown or the year they were acquired - they are not a bean i have grown before. we will see what happens. i hope they turn out well as i do like the shape and colors/pattern of them and if they are a wax bean that's even better. :)