2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this is a bean picture. not quite what i want yet, but close...

can you guess the parent (if you don't already know it?): :)

DSC_20200318_140818-0400_185_Getting_There_thm.jpg

the bigger view is:

DSC_20200318_140818-0400_185_Getting_There.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, an educated guess then. ;)

nobody has guessed it yet.

Dapple Grey is one of the parents of Monster, Monster is the parent of the beans in the picture so to see the variants upon Dapple Grey come back and Dapple Grey itself was not too much of s surprise to me. the solid green i didn't expect at all.

of the three beans in the upper right corner the brown one with the silver markings is closest to Monster, but Monster was a large bean itself more like the size of the large bean on the right.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I didn't really remember everything you showed me at the seed swap. You showed me so many things and I saw them only one time for the first time. Sometimes it takes several repititons for me to really fix things in my memory. When I looked at the photo and saw Dapple Grey and some off types that also had an eye patch with white on the bottom of the seed like DG. I figured that DG would be a good guess.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I didn't really remember everything you showed me at the seed swap. You showed me so many things and I saw them only one time for the first time. Sometimes it takes several repititons for me to really fix things in my memory. When I looked at the photo and saw Dapple Grey and some off types that also had an eye patch with white on the bottom of the seed like DG. I figured that DG would be a good guess.

ok, it was! :)

i'm so ready to be outside...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might start one seed of a bean in a flower pot and grow it in my west window of my living room in April. I've done it before with fairly decent results. This will give me an early test of a bean that I have very few seeds of and don't want to waste a single one of those seeds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this house is set up so backwards from common sense that there aren't any south facing windows and there are a few west facing windows but they aren't that big.

@Bluejay77 do you put the plant outside when it gets warm enough?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got something kind of interesting in the mail today. Of course more beans. Six varieties. I have an aqaintence with a bean farmer in Idaho Falls, Idaho. His business is called Gentec. He grows certified bean seed for other farmers that grow beans for the grocery store trade and for export. He told me he was going to send these beans a month ago if he could get a hold of enough of them. These beans are new breeding work done by the University of California in Davis. They have bred some heirloom type beans for increased yield, BCMV (bean mosaic) resistance and to maintain seed coat color as much as possible. There are no restrictions on propagating the seed and distributing them.

#1. Southwest Gold - Most similar to Zuni Gold +47% increased Yield
#2. Tiger's Eye +55% increased Yield
#3. Sunrise - Most Similar To Zuni Gold Anasazi +56% increased Yield
#4. Rio Zape +16% increased Yield
#5. Four Corners Red - Most Similar to Anasazi +22% increased Yield
#6. Southwest Red - Another Form of Anasazi with more white than #5 +87% increased Yield

#1A-southwest gold.JPG#2A-tigers-eye.JPG
#3A-sunrise.JPG#4A-rio-zape.JPG
#5A-four-corners-red.JPG#6A-southwest-red.JPG