2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome @Marie2020 to the Little Easy Bean Network. I think we should all put on our cleanest dirty gardening clothes to welcome her. There are other places that have lots of beans you can view more bean photos. You can go to Bohnen-Atlas a German Website http://www.bohnen-atlas.de/ and you can change the language to English. You can also view CIAT which is the country of Columbia. Look down the page where is says Bean Accessions. They have 37,938 currently. You might have to dig and poke around to find the bean photos they have. The address to their site is https://ciat.cgiar.org/what-we-do/crop-conservation-and-use/. You can go to my website A Bean Collectors Window. www.abeancollectorswindow.com. Heritage Harvest Seed in Canada has quite a few bean photos and descriptions to look at. https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/. A German seed company called Deaflora has a number of bean photos you can view https://deaflora.de/Shop/Bohnen/. Another German site http://schreberarten.ch/Pflanzen/Bohnen/Stangenbohnen.htm has some nice photos you might enjoy.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looked at the CIAT site, had to tear myself away. I noticed a couple of cranberry type beans has what looked like reverses in the photo. Is that more typical with cranberry types? The only one I have that throws reverses also has cranberry type coating.

Totally different topic. Does this type of seed coating pattern have a name. Karachaganak and Kutasi Princess are a couple of others I can think of that have this pattern.

Tartan Tan.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome @Marie2020 to the Little Easy Bean Network. I think we should all put on our cleanest dirty gardening clothes to welcome her. There are other places that have lots of beans you can view more bean photos. You can go to Bohnen-Atlas a German Website http://www.bohnen-atlas.de/ and you can change the language to English. You can also view CIAT which is the country of Columbia. Look down the page where is says Bean Accessions. They have 37,938 currently. You might have to dig and poke around to find the bean photos they have. The address to their site is https://ciat.cgiar.org/what-we-do/crop-conservation-and-use/. You can go to my website A Bean Collectors Window. www.abeancollectorswindow.com. Heritage Harvest Seed in Canada has quite a few bean photos and descriptions to look at. https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/. A German seed company called Deaflora has a number of bean photos you can view https://deaflora.de/Shop/Bohnen/. Another German site http://schreberarten.ch/Pflanzen/Bohnen/Stangenbohnen.htm has some nice photos you might enjoy.
Welcome @Marie2020 to the Little Easy Bean Network. I think we should all put on our cleanest dirty gardening clothes to welcome her. There are other places that have lots of beans you can view more bean photos. You can go to Bohnen-Atlas a German Website http://www.bohnen-atlas.de/ and you can change the language to English. You can also view CIAT which is the country of Columbia. Look down the page where is says Bean Accessions. They have 37,938 currently. You might have to dig and poke around to find the bean photos they have. The address to their site is https://ciat.cgiar.org/what-we-do/crop-conservation-and-use/. You can go to my website A Bean Collectors Window. www.abeancollectorswindow.com. Heritage Harvest Seed in Canada has quite a few bean photos and descriptions to look at. https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/. A German seed company called Deaflora has a number of bean photos you can view https://deaflora.de/Shop/Bohnen/. Another German site http://schreberarten.ch/Pflanzen/Bohnen/Stangenbohnen.htm has some nice photos you might enjoy. :thumbsup
Thank you for this post. I will keep this valuable information. Your welcome is very much appreciated :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
My largest bush bean plot was roto-tilled for the third time this year this past Sunday the 14th of June. Planted Monday the 15th. This site will grow out 80 varieties of bush dry beans. I finished the planting around 6 pm. I was so tired and thirsty I quit for the day. Came back the 15th Tuesday and watered all the plantings. The site is somewhere between 2,268 and perhaps 2,300 square feet. It's hard to figure because it's a little out of square.

These are the varieties in this planting. Some are outcrosses I've been working with. Some are original Beans that the Minnesota bean man Robert Lobitz would have continued working with if he had lived past 2006. I call these beans Robert Lobitz Legacy Beans. I acquired them from a fellow in Kansas who got them from Robert's brother Jim Lobitz. The Kansas man got frustrated and gave up on them. He had them stored in his freezer and sent them to me in 2015. As I look at my planting diagram I suddenly realized that most of the beans in this plot are Robert Lobitz related. Original beans of mine from the early 1980's that are stable. Some newer outcrosses of mine, but few actual standard heirloom varieties. All the photos of these beans will be posted here later this year after all the dry seed has been harvested and dried.

1. Bamberger Blaue - German Heirloom
2. African Premier - African Bean
3. Kleine Soldatenboon - Dutch Heirloom
4. Nigel - This bean originates from California with someone named Nigel
5. Wiener Trieb - Off type discovered here in 2019. Sort of like a red orange Jacob's Cattle.
6. Stoney Creek - One of my newer outcrosses from the last 4 years
7. Red Eyed Ranger - One of my outcrosses from the early 1980's that I still have not stabalized
8. Painted Pony
9. Lake Avenue Beauty - A stable original Robert Lobitz variety from the early 2000's
10. Dana's Soldier - Original stable Ernest Dana variety from the late 1970's
11. Ojibwe - A Robert Lobitz Legacy bean that I have named already seems stable
12. Rabbit's Foot #6 - An outcross that I discovered in my grow outs in 2012. The #6 will probably eventually be dropped
13. Long Prairie 2.2 - a Segregation of a Lobitz legacy bean. Currently just a working name.
14. Nun's Bellybutton - Authentic UK heirloom
15. Eden Valley - A Robert Lobitz Legacy bean I've named and keep growing out to see if it will stablize.
16. #15-Sux-YeE-5.1 - A segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean.
17. Drayer Creek - A R. Lobitz Legacy bean that is probably already stable
18. Bomba - Ukrainian variety
19. Angel Eye - New outcross of mine that seems already to be stable
20. Dazzle - Newer outcross of mine that I'm growing in hopes of it becoming stable.
21. Prinsses Tan Off Type - Segregation of a bean I got from Denmark. Liked the flavor of this one in soup.
22. El Rosa - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I have named. Hope it becomes stable
23. Delano Purple - R. Lobitz variety from about 20 years. Colored similar to Blooming Prairie
24. Cold Spring Pinto - R. Lobitz Legacy bean that I have named. Hoping it will stablize.
25. Berry's Best - Authentic heirloom once carried in the Wanigan collection
26. Nippersink - Recent outcross of mine that I've named and hoping it becomes stable
27. #15-Sux-YeE-4 - Segregation of a Lobitz Legacy bean. Will name if becomes stable
28. Burton's Bridge - Recent outcross discovered here, named by me and found in Mrociumere.
29. Pale Face - Another of my outcrosses from the early 1980's.
30. Pink Trout - Original bean once as an outcross from the Ernest Dana collection
31. Utah Yellow Eye - Yellow Eye sent to me by someone in the 80's. Has a broader eye figure.
32. Penny Prince - One of the outcrosses named by me, sent to me by Will Bonsall and may already be stable
33. #12-12-97B - R. Lobitz legacy bean I will name if it becomes stable.
34. Cold Creek - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I named and hoping it becomes stable
35. Eagle Bend - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I named and it may already be stable.
36. Jacob's Prairie - R. Lobitz legacy bean I named and hoping it becomes stable
37. Black Oak Lake Purple - Segregation of a R. Lobitz legacy bean currently only a working title.
38. Little Falls - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I named and hoping it becomes stable
39. Dapple Grey - Heirloom bean I almost sold out all the seed I had. Planted my 2019 seed crop
40. Orca - From a lady in Austria. This one is a true bush. All Orca beans I've seen are semi runners.
41. Tene's Bean - Heirloom bean from Canada grown by the Locke family since the 1920's
42. Dalmatian - Stable orginal bean named by me back in 1982.
43. Pecatonica - Outcross sent by Will Bonsall in 2015 that I named and hoping it becomes stable.
44. Ernie's Big Eye - Original bean from the Ernest Dana collection. Seed coat changes with different soils.
45. Agarrobo - True bush Columbian bean very productive.
46. Cold Creek 1 - Segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean and hoping it becomes stable
47. Red Cattle - From Prof. Klapprot in Germany. Said to be possibly unstable bean from France. So far stable
48. Koronis Tan Trout - R. Lobitz orginal bean from early 2000's
49. Littlefield's Special - Authentic heirloom bean
50. Great Lakes Special - R. Lobitz original bean from early 2000's
51. African Premier 3 - Segregation of African Premier discovered here in 2013.
52. Long Prairie Trout - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I'm hoping to stablize
53. Maria Zeller - Bush variety I acquired from a lady in England. Probably an authentic heirloom
54. Woodstock Red Eye - Newer outcross discovered here in 2018.
55. Cold Spring Pinto 1.1 - Segregation of a Robert Lobitz legacy bean
56. Gold Creek Trout - R. Lobitz legacy bean I named and maybe already stable
57. Black Cattle - Related to Red Cattle and seems stable
58. Cold Spring Pinto OT #1 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
59. Osakis - R. Lobitz legacy bean that I named and already seems stable.
60. Little Falls OT #3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
61. Soldier - Heirloom bean
62. Nippersink 4.1 - Segregation of a Segregation found here in the last 3 years.
63. Long Prairie 2.1 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
64. Veitch Wonder - Authentic old European variety. I think it's origin is France
65. Cold Creek 1.1 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
66. Skunk River Trout - 30B - Lobitz legacy bean. The same bean comes out of two different numbered Lobtiz accessions.
67. Skunk River Trout - 28B - Both grow and look exactly the same. If they grow the same again this season will simply combine all the seed as one named bean. Named by me in 2018
68. Giele Waldbeantsje - Authentic heirloom from the Netherlands
69. Rode Soldatenboon - Authentic heirloom from the Netherlands
70. Long Prairie Trout 3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean. Might also be just a reverse.
71. Long Praire 2 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
72. Sebastian - Segregation of an outcross sent by W. Bonsall in 2015 and named by me
73. Fascination - Outcross found here in Pink Panther in 2017 and named by me
74. Long Prairie 3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
75. Stars And Stripes - Heirloom obtained from a former SSE member in Michigan in 2018
76. Long Prairie Trout OT 2 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
77. Cold Creek 1.3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
78. Zumbro Valley - R. Lobitz legacy bean that I named.
79. Brooten - R. Lobitz legacy bean that I named.
80. Spring Valley Purple - Robert Lobitz original bean from the early 2000's

This is last years pole bean plot where now all these 80 bean varieties will grow this summer. Steaks in the ground are sepeartion markers for the different varieties planted.

Bush Plot Pheasant Lane 2020 #1.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My largest bush bean plot was roto-tilled for the third time this year this past Sunday the 14th of June. Planted Monday the 15th. This site will grow out 80 varieties of bush dry beans. I finished the planting around 6 pm. I was so tired and thirsty I quit for the day. Came back the 15th Tuesday and watered all the plantings. The site is somewhere between 2,268 and perhaps 2,300 square feet. It's hard to figure because it's a little out of square.

These are the varieties in this planting. Some are outcrosses I've been working with. Some are original Beans that the Minnesota bean man Robert Lobitz would have continued working with if he had lived past 2006. I call these beans Robert Lobitz Legacy Beans. I acquired them from a fellow in Kansas who got them from Robert's brother Jim Lobitz. The Kansas man got frustrated and gave up on them. He had them stored in his freezer and sent them to me in 2015. As I look at my planting diagram I suddenly realized that most of the beans in this plot are Robert Lobitz related. Original beans of mine from the early 1980's that are stable. Some newer outcrosses of mine, but few actual standard heirloom varieties. All the photos of these beans will be posted here later this year after all the dry seed has been harvested and dried.

1. Bamberger Blaue - German Heirloom
2. African Premier - African Bean
3. Kleine Soldatenboon - Dutch Heirloom
4. Nigel - This bean originates from California with someone named Nigel
5. Wiener Trieb - Off type discovered here in 2019. Sort of like a red orange Jacob's Cattle.
6. Stoney Creek - One of my newer outcrosses from the last 4 years
7. Red Eyed Ranger - One of my outcrosses from the early 1980's that I still have not stabalized
8. Painted Pony
9. Lake Avenue Beauty - A stable original Robert Lobitz varietiey from the early 2000's
10. Dana's Soldier - Original stable Ernest Dana variety from the late 1970's
11. Ojibwe - A Robert Lobitz Legacy bean that I have named already seems stable
12. Rabbit's Foot #6 - An outcross that I discovered in my grow outs in 2012. The #6 will probably eventually be dropped
13. Long Prairie 2.2 - a Segregation of a Lobitz legacy bean. Currently just a working name.
14. Nun's Bellybutton - Authentic UK heirloom
15. Eden Valley - A Robert Lobitz Legacy bean I've named and keep growing out to seed if it will stabliz.
16. #15-Sux-YeE-5.1 - A segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean.
17. Drayer Creek - A R. Lobitz Legacy bean that is probably already stable
18. Bomba - Ukrainian variety
19. Angel Eye - New outcross of mine that seems already to be stable
20. Dazzle - Newer outcross of mine that I'm growing in hopes of it becoming stable.
21. Prinsses Tan Off Type - Segregation of a bean I got from Denmark. Liked the flavor of this one in soup.
22. El Rosa - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I have named. Hope it becomes stable
23. Delano Purple - R. Lobitz variety from about 20 years. Colored similar to Blooming Prairie
24. Cold Spring Pinto - R. Lobitz Legacy bean that I have named. Hoping it will stablize.
25. Berry's Best - Authentic heirloom once carried in the Wanigan collection
26. Nippersink - Recent outcross of mine that I've named and hoping it becomes stable
27. #15-Sux-YeE-4 - Segregation of a Lobitz Legacy bean. Will name if becomes stable
28. Burton's Bridge - Recent outcross discovered here, named by me and found in Mrociumere.
29. Pale Face - Another of my outcrosses from the early 1980's.
30. Pink Trout - Original bean once as an outcross from the Ernest Dana collection
31. Utah Yellow Eye - Yellow Eye sent to me by someone in the 80's. Has a broader eye figure.
32. Penny Prince - One of the outcrosses named by me, sent to me by Will Bonsall and may already be stable
33. #12-12-97B - R. Lobitz legacy bean I will named if it becomes stable.
34. Cold Creek - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I named and hoping it becomes stable
35. Eagle Bend - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I named and it may already be stable.
36. Jacob's Prairie - R. Lobitz legacy bean I named and hoping it becomes stable
37. Black Oak Lake Purple - Segregation of a R. Lobitz legacy bean currently only a working title.
38. Little Falls - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I named and hoping it becomes stable
39. Dapple Grey - Heirloom bean I almost sold out all the seed I had. Planted my 2019 seed crop
40. Orca - From a lady in Austria. This one is a true bush. All Orca beans I've seen are semi runners.
41. Tene's Bean - Heirloom bean from Canada grown by the Locke family since the 1920's
42. Dalmatian - Stable orginal bean named by me back in 1982.
43. Pecatonica - Outcross sent by Will Bonsall in 2015 that I named and hoping it becomes stable.
44. Ernie's Big Eye - Original bean from the Ernest Dana collection. Seed coat changes with different soils.
45. Agarorbo - True bush Columbian bean very productive.
46. Cold Creek 1 - Segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean and hoping it becomes stable
47. Red Cattle - From Prof. Klapprot in Germany. Said to be possibly unstable bean from France. So far stable
48. Koronis Tan Trout - R. Lobitz orginal bean from early 2000's
49. Littlefield's Special - Authentic heirloom bean
50. Great Lakes Special - R. Lobitz original bean from early 2000's
51. African Premier 3 - Segregation of African Premier discovered here in 2013.
52. Long Prairie Trout - R. Lobitz Legacy bean I'm hoping to stablize
53. Maria Zeller - Bush variety I acquired from a lady in England. Probably an authentic heirloom
54. Woodstock Red Eye - Newer outcross discovered here in 2018.
55. Cold Spring Pinto 1.1 - Segregation of a Robert Lobitz legacy bean
56. Gold Creek Trout - R. Lobitz legacy bean I named and maybe already stable
57. Black Cattle - Related to Red Cattle and seems stable
58. Cold Spring Pinto OT #1 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
59. Osakis - R. Lobitz legacy bean that I named and already seems stable.
60. Little Falls OT #3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
61. Soldier - Heirloom bean
62. Nippersink 4.1 - Segregation of a Segregation found here in the last 3 years.
63. Long Prairie 2.1 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
64. Veitch Wonder - Authentic old European variety. I think it's origin is France
65. Cold Creek 1.1 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
66. Skunk River Trout - 30B - Lobitz legacy bean. The same bean comes out of two different numbered Lobtiz accessions.
67. Skunk River Trout - 28B - Both grow and look exactly the same. If they grow the same again this season will simply combine all the seed as one named bean. Named by me in 2018
68. Giele Waldbeantsje - Authentic heirloom from the Netherlands
69. Rode Soldatenboon - Authentic heirloom from the Netherlands
70. Long Prairie Trout 3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean. Might also be just a reverse.
71. Long Praire 2 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
72. Sebastian - Segregation of an outcross sent by W. Bonsall in 2015 and named by me
73. Fascination - Outcross found here in Pink Panther in 2017 and named by me
74. Long Prairie 3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
75. Stars And Stripes - Heirloom obtained by a former SSE member in Michigan in 2018
76. Long Prairie Trout OT 2 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
77. Cold Creek 1.3 - Segregation of a segregation of a R. Lobitz Legacy bean
78. Zumbro Valley - R. Lobitz legacy bean that I named.
79. Brooten - R. Lobitz legacy bean that I named.
80. Spring Valley Purple - Robert Lobitz original bean from the early 2000's

This is last years pole bean plot where now all these 80 bean will grow this summer. Steaks in the ground are sepeartion markers for the different varieties planted.

View attachment 35945

so much easier not having all the decorations in the way! :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My beans are up and putting on true leaves. I have to water every day. It is hot and always a breeze to windy. I’m battling lambs quarters, giant ragweed, crab grass, to name a few.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My beans are up and putting on true leaves. I have to water every day. It is hot and always a breeze to windy. I’m battling lambs quarters, giant ragweed, crab grass, to name a few.

most everything is sprouted and up now so i don't have to water quite as often to keep things evenly moist. i go every other day or even every three days for most gardens once they are up and growing. i like to keep the clay percolating some moisture so i don't let them dry out to where they'll crack if i can help it.

a good rain would be nice now and there is some rain in the forecast so we'll see how that goes through this weekend, but i'll have to water later today...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Backyard bean grow out south plot. This year there is 19 varieties of bush snap beans growing. All are up and doing well. Some old and hisortical varieties here. A couple of Robert Lobitz snap varieties. Entire plot is still in the morning shadow of my house when photo was taken. Will all be in direct sunlight at 10:30 AM until 5:30 PM.

1.) Idaho Refugee - From 2014 Seed. Since 1934
2.) Tendergreen - From 2017 Seed
3.) Top Notch Golden Wax - From 2018 Seed
4.) Topcrop - From 2012 Seed
5.) Provider - From 2012 Seed
6.) Kishwaukee Green Buff Seed - From 2018 Seed
7.) Maggie's Cresent - From 2013 Seed
8.) Hodson Wax - From 2018 Seed. Since 1902
9.) Tenderpod - From 2012 Seed
10.) Illinois Snap - From 2014 Seed
11.) Keeney's Stringless Green Refugee - From 2015 Seed. Original Calvin Keeney variety. Since 1890's
12.) Unrivalled Wax - From 2015 Seed. Since 1909
13.) Fowler - From 2014 Seed
14.) Zumbro Falls - From 2017 Seed. R. Lobitz variety
15.) Victoria Brown Eyes - From 2014 Seed. R. Lobitz variety
16.) Prolific Black Wax - From 2017 Seed. Calvin Keeney variety since 1888.
17. Improved Kidney Wax - From 2017 Seed. Calvin Keeney Variety since 1906
18. Kishwaukee Green - From 2018 Seed. Original Russ Crow variety since 1977
19. Buckskin Girl - From 2014 Seed

Backyare Snap Beans 2020.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts