2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's the same with tomatoes. Some varieties are more sensitive than others. In any case, such a spray will not hurt the beans.
This is sometimes the case when different varieties are grown side by side. They may have different needs.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, Artorius. I've been doing some googling on Magnesium sulphate. Interesting.
It looks like the problem is either magnesium deficiency or mosaic virus. I hope you're right that it's a Mg problem perhaps caused by too much rotted manure when I planted them.

It would be good to know how to tell the difference between the two. In another forum someone wrote, "Magnesium deficiency usually starts on the lower leaves and works upwards and all the leaves turns yellow. With mosaic it is blotchy". From that description mine fit the Mg deficiency more. Here's hoping .....!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Decoy1,

The leaves are certainly not shaped as if they have BCMV. Yellow Mosaic possible, but I don't know. They also don't look like their growh was stunted. Also the seed you get from these could be tested by planting a single seed in a flower pot with completely different soil. Not soil from your garden. Also keeping the plants far enough apart that they wouldn't touch each other to see if they developed this problem again. If they don't develop probablems in a flowerpot test then it's probably ok to use the seed. I would like to test any seed from these plants here in flower pots. Don't write anything on the packets when you return seed to me that the variety had any problems otherwise the USDA will destroy the shipment. But you can show me in posts here what varieties had problems. Later in the season you could also burn all the dead bean plant material.

For now you could try Artorius's suggestion of the Magnesium Sulfate.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Decoy1,

I just found this on BYMV which is the bean yellow mosaic virus.

BYMV is not seed borne in beans and overwinters in hosts such as red clover, sweet clover, crimson clover, wild legumes and some flowers, like the gladiolus, also alfalfa, and vetch. It is then carried from plant to plant by more than 20 aphid species, amongst them the black bean aphid. Yellow mosaic can also cause cupped shaping of the leaves but I don't see that in your photos either. BYMV also can deform pods. Do the pods on these plants look normally shaped?

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, thank you all three. I think your advice is very clear Russ. I will follow Artorius's advice with the magnesium sulphate and also try growing one or two seeds immediately in the rotted manure which I used quite heavily on the beds and see if that creates the same yellowing. When I get some seed I'll also do the test you suggest. Three stage project!
The fact that you think it's not looking like BCMV gives me hope! 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Decoy1

My Succotash. This is what the lower old leaves look like.

DSCN0460.jpg

This is what the upper, newer leaves look like after using magnesium sulfate.

DSCN0464.jpg

Additionally, a lot of new fresh leaves began to grow in the lower part of the plants.

DSCN0478.jpg

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Besides, some beans grow better, others don't grow well. Such a life :)

Gribnoy Aromat / Mushroom Flavor
from Ukraine
Gribnoj Aromat.jpg

Nata
- Polish bush runner bean
Nata.jpg

Atlas - Polish pole wax bean
Atlas.jpg

Mr. Tung
Mr. Tung.jpg

Red Rooster
- Aussie borlotto type bush bean. Big pods, just add a handle and there's a machete.
Red Rooster.jpg

Stoltzfus String
Stoltzfus String.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the growth habits of the four purple beans remains the same - that is, they all look alike to me.

these are the pods from (P1) Purple Diamond, (P2) Purple Dove, (P3) Purple Rose and (P4) Purple Rain.

yes, there are some differences with the pods so this experiment is giving results. P1 and P4 are about the same with more rounded and narrow beans, P2 is flat pods and matte finish while P3 has flat pods and has a more shiny pod finish.

DSC_20200729_155846-0400_578_Purple_Beans_thm.jpg

the pods tasted much alike, all edible. :) *urp*

the next part will be seeing how the seeds compare when harvested in a larger amount of seeds.

Last edited:

Latest posts