2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I havested my first bean pods from my Backyard Bean Nursery today 7-28-21. Both Robert Lobitz named beans. Salt Springs Gold and Early Dawn Pinto. That is 38 days from the time I put the seed in the ground. We've had so much sunshine and I've provided water that normally spaced rains would have given. Most first pods on my bush beans are harvested anywhere from 80 to 90 days. Today's pick is a record. Photos of all the seeds harvest this season from all bean plots will be shown here after all have been harvested and dried. That will probably be in Middle of November.

that is quick! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grandma Robert’s Purple Pole are doing good, I’ve canned 27 pints. Cassies Purple Pod are just starting to produce, we’ve had a pot of them for several meals. The purple pole from @flowerbug , only a few came up and grass hoppers have stacked! Purple Dove did not get planted. Many things this year did not get planted due to screwy weather. I kept seed back from all the varieties in case of crop failure due to weather.

no worries on either of those. the seeds should be good for some time and if you ever need more just holler and i'll send them. :) i was curious how the PD would do in your garden soil and heat. i think they're pretty tolerant. you can also try to poke a few seeds in some place for a fall crop. 60-70 days is enough.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dry seed harvest has started here as well - for peas. Of the peas planted this year, only two survived. Mesa (an early afila shelling pea) was started in pots, and transplanted to the rural garden, where it survived just long enough to set 1-2 pods, which are drying down now. An increase over what I planted, but far short of what I'd hoped for, and still not enough enough to share. Wish I could get a good increase; this variety was dropped by Vermont Bean during their corporate acquisition, and I may be the only remaining source. :(

Yokomo Giant, in the home garden, has done much better. Those too are beginning to dry down, and it looks like it will be a good seed yield. It really went from snow pea to mature seed fast, in the space of 3 weeks.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kokopelli haven't removed the option to ship here, but it's always been pricey at 17 Euro, which now exceeds the limit of what we can purchase from the EU/Worldwide before a fee and tax are charged (£15).

@Marie2020 Real Seeds stocks the Painted Mountain flour corn. I also grew a few kilos of Magic Manna last year, which is a beautiful selection of Painted Mountain with improved flavour. Seeds available if you want them.

@baymule Stunning harvest, congrats!
Ok. Hopefully I can find this, is this is corn similar too baymule s ? . Thanks for getting back.

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 When calculating DTM is that referring to edible green pods, or ripe/dry pods? Emperor of Russia was the earliest here, sown 26/5 and first pods picked 27/7. Finally some fresh beans. No idea when it will be at dry seed stage.
@Marie2020 Real Seeds stocks the Painted Mountain flour corn. I also grew a few kilos of Magic Manna last year, which is a beautiful selection of Painted Mountain with improved flavour. Seeds available if you want them.

Ok. Hopefully I can find this, is this is corn similar too baymule s ? . Thanks for getting back.

@Marie2020 Painted Mountain is the variety in baymule's photo. But my mistake - Real Seeds stocks Glass Gem, not PM, a completely different type of corn.
As for Magic Manna, it has all of PM's earliness and hardiness, but the colours are uniform on the cob. So each plant would produce pink cobs, or white, or orange, etc. Blue and yellow have been selected out. As far as I know only myself and the people I've shared it with have seeds in this country. An incredibly generous Austrian fellow sent me the first bag of seeds a few years ago. I haven't been able to get in contact with him since :(

Attachments

• IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG0410.jpg
    IMAG0410.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 85

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh Oh ! I didn't figure my DTM correctly at all. The Backyard Bean Nursery beans were planted May 20th. That is 68 days. However it's still a record. I droped the whole month of June out of the equation.

hahaha! :) stuff happens... :)

i was thinking you had a real early bean there like the Adams Family Six Weeks which so far has been the earliest dry bean i've ever grown.

for me "early" is what finishes between mid August and mid September. late is what happens after that.

the real early beans i have a preference for because i like to have beans coming in during August which is hopefully warmer and drier than September, but also because if i plant a bit later then they still have a chance to finish.

in the next few weeks i should have some Purple Dove starting to dry down well enough to bring in and some others too. the earliest ones i planted have a lot of pods on them that i didn't pick to eat so now we're starting in on eating the next batch of pods of plants that were planted later. if i wanted shellies i could pick quite a few but i want to see the seeds from as many of these plants as possible just in case i have any interesting crosses.

it just so happens that Mom is making some large pans of baked beans today including some Purple Dove dried beans in the mix. i'm already hungry. :)

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
for me "early" is what finishes between mid August and mid September. late is what happens after that.
I would be very glad if my Backyard Bean Nursery dries and is all picked out before Bean Acres starts to produce dry pods (80 varieties of bush dry and snap beans). I looked at Bean Acres yesterday and it is just full of foliage and pods that are beginning to fill with seed. Bean Acres is going to be quite a project to harvest.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Late yesterday afternoon I was at bean acres to mow the grass inside the deer fence and I picked nearly a bucket full of Kishwaukee Yellow (one of my original named snap beans from 1977). I picked about what would be equal to 48 feet of row space of this yellow poded snap bean. So very productive. Massive plants for a bush about 20 + inches tall and the plants have closed up the 30 inch row spacing. The beans seed mother is Cherokee wax and I have long suspected the male parent might be Contender. Likely mosaic resistant also.

Bucket Of Kishwaukee Yellow 7-28-21.jpg

Some very young pods in the mix that have not turned yellow yet.

Pile Of Kishwaukee Yellow 7-28-21.jpg

The bucket of beans dumped out in a pile. I planted some snap beans for me to eat this year and some of this variety will go for new seed too. I haven't had any of my own garden snap beans to eat for about 4 years.

Kishwaukee Yellow 7-28-21.jpg

Grown from seed that was harvest back in 2013. I thought it might not be a bad idea to have some newer seed of this bean. Germination percentage was over 90%. Seed of Kishwaukee Yellow was once sold by Simply Beans from Calhan, Colorado and Horus Botanicals of Salem, Arkansas.

Last edited:

Latest posts