2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 When calculating DTM is that referring to edible green pods, or ripe/dry pods? Emperor of Russia was the earliest here, sown 26/5 and first pods picked 27/7. Finally some fresh beans. No idea when it will be at dry seed stage.
DTM would refer to dry pods. Snap edible pods generally will be ready to pick, depending on variety, from about 47 tp 55 days.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAAATT??? No way!!! :ep
Yep that's true I've been busy in the summer growing seed. I blanched these wax beans today and put away 11 10 ounce packages in the freezer. Now I got to go out and pick the green podded one that I planted extra of. That's got to be done today. and it's already quarter after 3 in the afternoon.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the green podded bean picked in no time at all. I must say the bean is not how I remembered it. Maybe it's the season and it affected this beans productivity. I planted about the same amount of row feet as the Kishwaukee Yellow. The bean I'm speaking of is what I believe to be the seed mother of Blue Jay. A white seeded bean called Comtesse De Chambord 226. It's not the rice size seeded CDC. I got this bean originally in 1975 from Le Jardin Du Gourmet. They imported beans from France. They must have thought they were selling an authentic CDC. I don't think it is though. I didn't pick nearly what I picked yesterday of Kishwaukee Yellow. The photo is the empty bucket I nearly filled with Kishwaukee Yellow and the little blue bucket is CDC 226. I will continue to pick them and get whatever I can from them.

Comtesse De Chambord 226 - 7-29-21.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
while i was out there sitting in the NE corner bean garden weeding i was admiring all the bees wandering around pollinating the flowers. we have a lot of some larger thyme in the gardens blooming and it really attracts a lot of bees including many native bees. they are always busy once the day gets warm enough that the bees start flying. i know that a lot of people here are interested in keeping their lines straight when it comes down to varieties, but i'm always cheering the bees on to do that cross pollinating for me. i can't see that great and i also don't have that kind of patience or coordination either. they do it all.

@Artorius how is your weather there? @heirloomgal did you get any rains?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
while i was out there sitting in the NE corner bean garden weeding i was admiring all the bees wandering around pollinating the flowers. we have a lot of some larger thyme in the gardens blooming and it really attracts a lot of bees including many native bees. they are always busy once the day gets warm enough that the bees start flying. i know that a lot of people here are interested in keeping their lines straight when it comes down to varieties, but i'm always cheering the bees on to do that cross pollinating for me. i can't see that great and i also don't have that kind of patience or coordination either. they do it all.

@Artorius how is your weather there? @heirloomgal did you get any rains?
We are due for rain tomorrow, apparently for 2 days. It has also become quite chilly here in the mornings & evenings. I went kayaking tonight and nearly froze on the way back. I hope this cool, wet weather doesn't result in troubles.

Seeing lots of bees this year too. Much more than I'd like to really, I'd prefer they stick to the perennials. I didn't realize how much my Piekny Jas beans would draw them. I've seen one crossed bean in my life, which didn't originate in my own garden but someone else's. I have a funny feeling that that number might increase now, after seeing bees move among the bean flowers several times.

20210727_164511.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug
In my region, the weather is unchanged. Tropical heat alternating with storms and heavy rains. Many flowers and little pods have fallen from the pole beans. All of them from Bill Wheatly Fall. Fortunately, it's still blooming so the chance for some seeds is still there. Beans that grow in places where shade appears faster looks best. It's a tough year for beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug
In my region, the weather is unchanged. Tropical heat alternating with storms and heavy rains. Many flowers and little pods have fallen from the pole beans. All of them from Bill Wheatly Fall. Fortunately, it's still blooming so the chance for some seeds is still there. Beans that grow in places where shade appears faster looks best. It's a tough year for beans.

aww! i hope they'll persist long enough to get into the cooler weather and then have enough time to fill some pods up.

Latest posts