2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The longer range temperature predictions for northern Illinois is for mid to upper 70's right into about the 10th of October with night temperatures in the low 50's.

our coolest overnight temp this coming week is forecast to be down to 44F. so not too bad. nothing above 74F. no rain so i should be able to get some things done this week out there. :) it will take a few days for the mud to dry out enough.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
FINALLY, after all this time, my mysterious lima bean has flowers (now that I has them, I can more confidently say "my lima bean" as opposed to "my maybe lima bean". Given previous years, there is still enough time to get mature pods before frost (and it's in a pot, so I can take it in to finish if there isn't). So with a few years increase, I'll have a potential new variety.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner said

FINALLY, after all this time, my mysterious lima bean has flowers (now that I has them, I can more confidently say "my lima bean" as opposed to "my maybe lima bean". Given previous years, there is still enough time to get mature pods before frost (and it's in a pot, so I can take it in to finish if there isn't). So with a few years increase, I'll have a potential new variety.

How neat a new lima variety ! We want photos when you get some dry seed. It will be fun to see what you name it too.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a photo of the starting seed SOMEWHERE, don't know where.

As for name, haven't really decided. I kind of want to include the Chinese word for "fat" in there somewhere, as it has to be the widest seeded lima I have ever seen (one of the reasons I couldn't tell whether it was a lima or a common bean, it's that wide seeded compared to a normal flat lima).

I'm just sorry the other three potential new strains didn't work out (the huge greyish purple one didn't germinate, neither did the white one with the tiny red splotch* and the eyed one never made any leaves.

*Though I think that might just have been a very abnormally seed coated Christmas lima, so probably not much of a loss.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Tonawanda Variant has flowers in two colors. Which is correct?

View attachment 41938View attachment 41939

I go back to the riddle called Tonawanda Variant. This time I show pods and seeds.

The flower on the left gave me a round pod with a small, curved, claw-like spike. Oval, light beige seeds with a brown pattern.

TV 2.jpg

The flower on the right turned into a more flattened pod with a long, straight or slightly curved spike. The seeds are also flattened, the brown pattern is the same, but the background is covered with a gray bloom. They look as if they were dirty.

TV 1.jpg

Can anyone help me determine which ones are correct? Maybe you have friends on Facebook who have grown this bean?
This is network bean and I would like to return good stuff.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well @Bluejay77 here is nearly every seed from network bean Cosaruciaru di Sicili; there may be one more plant left outside to harvest if it is able to mature a little more. This is definitely a later maturing variety when planted 6 inches apart, the only one later than this for me is Giele Waldbeantsje. 1 or 2 feet apart would be much better for a very large bush bean like this. As you can see it is different from the seed I planted. My guess is that the difference may be soil related, since all the seeds are basically the same. (?) I think it isn't a really vast difference from the original seed when I look on your website; it's missing the black speck and the pinkish/rust-ish colour is larger but the essentials are there...
20210926_210542.jpg

20210926_210720.jpg

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well @Bluejay77 here is nearly every seed from network bean Cosaruciaru di Sicili; there may be one more plant left outside to harvest if it is able to mature a little more. This is definitely a later maturing variety when planted 6 inches apart, the only one later than this for me is Giele Waldbeantsje. 1 or 2 feet apart would be much better for a very large bush bean like this. As you can see it is different from the seed I planted. My guess is that the difference may be soil related, since all the seeds are basically the same. (?) I think it isn't a really vast difference from the original seed when I look on your website; it's missing the black speck and the pinkish/rust-ish colour is larger but the essentials are there...
The basic pattern of your bean is still about the same. Probably soil differences. The photo on the website is when I raised the bean in 2016 in a heavier clay type topsoil. The colored area around the eye on your grow out has expanded a little. Actually I like the the way your beans look more than mine. I might have to raise some of your seed next year and see if they change in the soil here. All your seed is so beautiful. So well filled out. That is a picture of quality seed.

Last edited:

Latest posts