2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooo I definitely would.. my small lots permit expired years ago though :(
If you renew your small lots account. Don't choose San Fransisco as your choice for an inspection station. They have someone working there that will return your package to your sender claiming that it needs a phyto sanitary certificate. I currently have Linden, New Jersey as my inspection station. I have spoken to USDA workers there on the phone and it seems like a good inspection station to go through. You should renew your small lots account won't take but a couple of days to get it up and running.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you renew your small lots account. Don't choose San Fransisco as your choice for an inspection station. They have someone working there that will return your package to your sender claiming that it needs a phyto sanitary certificate. I currently have Linden, New Jersey as my inspection station. I have spoken to USDA workers there on the phone and it seems like a good inspection station to go through. You should renew your small lots account won't take but a couple of days to get it up and running.
I really should get it renewed. I'll work on that. I have a stupidly common name (I'm convinced my parents just left the default example in the birth cerficate form!) and need to visit a USDA center at some point to validate my ID.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really should get it renewed. I'll work on that. I have a stupidly common name (I'm convinced my parents just left the default example in the birth cerficate form!) and need to visit a USDA center at some point to validate my ID.
Actually .. they appear to have redone their forms and I'm in and have my new permit!

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Interesting. In Poland, the second most common name is Kowalski, and the kowal is smith in English :)

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting. In Poland, the second most common name is Kowalski, and the kowal is smith in English:)

i didn't know that the ski suffix meant son in Polish until now. :) Kowalski is Smithson. :)

I grew up with a good friend name Kowalski and didn't know any of this :) Both my first and last names are super common here. When I was in college there were four students with my name. If I got to a store with a rewards program and they ask me for my name they always groan when I tell them. It's a problem :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up with a good friend name Kowalski and didn't know any of this :) Both my first and last names are super common here. When I was in college there were four students with my name. If I got to a store with a rewards program and they ask me for my name they always groan when I tell them. It's a problem :)

where i used to work there were two of us with the same name, same department, so we always had to ask to make sure which one they were calling for before going any further. i called him ShortRound and he called me Butthead. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A common problem apparently. In my former job, there were 4 of us with the same first name - and we all carried a radio. It seemed that no one realized this, because people would just call for one of us... by first name only. Which would be followed by a pregnant silence (since none of us knew who was being called) until one of us would ask "which **** are you calling?

I doubt I'll ever have that problem here. ;)

Oh, that's right, beans... Today was "gleaning and cleaning" in the rural garden. All trellises, poles, and cages removed, and everything mowed (except the Garden Huckleberry). In the process, we found a few dry bean pods we had missed, and harvested any beans or cowpeas that looked large enough to use for shellies. Mostly limas & cowpeas, but "Brita's Foot Long" surprised us by reviving in September, and setting a few more pods. We will shell everything tomorrow, and cook them all together.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i didn't know that the ski suffix meant son in Polish until now. :) Kowalski is Smithson. :)
@flowerbug
No, the suffixes -ski and -cki in Polish surnames originally meant the place where someone came from and were used only by Polish noblemen. Like the French "de" or the German "von". If Michigan were a town, your Polish surname might be Michiganski :D Only much later these suffixes began to be added to names (Adam-ski), professions that someone did (Kowal-ski) and others.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug
No, the suffixes -ski and -cki in Polish surnames originally meant the place where someone came from and were used only by Polish noblemen. Like the French "de" or the German "von". If Michigan were a town, your Polish surname might be Michiganski :D Only much later these suffixes began to be added to names (Adam-ski), professions that someone did (Kowal-ski) and others.

oh, ok, i'm glad i got that cleared up! sorry broski @jbosmith. :)

Latest posts