2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep Blue Spitball is a great name. Love it !. I too can like collecting a bean variety too for various reasons. That Dead Man's Tooth I'm sure is a Joeph Simcox name. Possum Trot is mine. Walked into an antique/collectible shop in Ocala, Florida and the first thing I saw hanging over one of the seller's booths was a huge sign that said Possum Trot. I said that.... is a name for a bean. Evening Moon, the light color of the patch around the eye when the seed is new reminded me of the color of the moon when it rises on a cool clear night. Brown Eyed Goose in another of my names the poped into my head back in the early 80's when I first discovered the bean.

I'm still betting that Joseph Simcox literally translated the name Dente Di Morto when he found this bean while traveling through the Italian province of Campania. These beans are grown there, and packaged beans can be bought in stores.

I have replaced links to English versions.

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bomba - Bush Dry

This bean is not highly productive but I sure do like the rounded pretty teal colored seed. I got the bean about 8 years ago from Joeseph Simcox "The Botanical Explorer. The bean comes from the Ukraine.

The Polish Bomba is identical in shape and size, but the seeds are white. This is one of the beans that are grown by our planters on a larger scale.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 6 - The Beans That I Grew This Summer

Brejo - Pole Snap.

Most of my pole bean plot was a disaster this year with the seed of most varieties just being cooked and dieing in the soil even with watering every other day. This bean however came up and delivered a faily nice size crop of seed. It must be one tough bean. Native American people may have kept this variety for centuries. With violet flowers and 8 inch long wide flat pods speckled in maroon. The pods remain crisp longer. Probably fairly cold hardy, and well adapted to wet springs. It has been said seed of this variety can be direct sown when daytime highs reach about 60 degrees.

Buffy - Bush Snap

An original named bean of mine from the early 1980's. A very good green snap bean. I think probably as good as any of the commercial snap beans that I have grown. Very productive. Also sold by the Secret Seed Cartel in France. This bean is in the Seed Savers bean collections in Decorah, Iowa and the USDA bean collection in Pullman, Washington.

brejo.jpgbuffy.jpg
Brejo.............................................................................Brejo

Mrocumere Outcrosses - Bush Dry

Discovered several outcross segregations in Mrociumere in 2019. I grew out three segregations in 2020 and this past sumer of '21 that produced 4 seperate seed coats in total. All the segregations produced tall spreading plants with lots of branches but with small numbers of pods. This growing season will be the end of the road for this set of outcrosses. I have decided that it's not worth putting more effort in growing these particular beans.

Mrociumere 2019 gold.jpgMrociumere 2019 Lavender OT 2.jpg
Mrociumere Off Type #1...................................................Mrociumere Off Type #2

Mrociumre yellow.jpgbuffy.jpg
Mrociumere Off Type #3..................................................Mrociumere Off Type #4

Canadian Dot Eye - Bush Dry

Of course the name would suggest it's origin. However I have never known much about this yellow eye type other than I first acquired the bean from John Withee's Wanigan Associates in the early 1980's. My most recent aqusition of seed was from a Seed Savers Exchange member in Oregon in the spring of 2015. This years grow out produced one off type. A bean with a solid patch of coloring around the eye of the bean which is not normal for this bean. Canadian Dot Eye is known only for a small piece of color on each side of the eye.

canadian dot eye.jpg
Canadian Dot Eye
canadian dot eye OT 1.jpg
Canadian Dot Eye Off Type

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Brejo - Pole Snap.

Most of my pole bean plot was a disaster this year with the seed of most varieties just being cooked and dieing in the soil even with watering every other day. This bean however came up and delivered a faily nice size crop of seed. It must be one tough bean. Native American people may have kept this variety for centuries. With violet flowers and 8 inch long wide flat pods speckled in maroon. The pods remain crisp longer. Probably fairly cold hardy, and well adapted to wet springs. It has been said seed of this variety can be direct sown when daytime highs reach about 60 degrees.

brejo.jpg

Do you know where this comes from geographically? I like this bean shape and it's common with a lot of localish beans (Dolloff, Chester, etc).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I'm thinking the time is coming very soon to send you my network beans, I think they are almost all probably dry enough. I don't know 100% so I'm a little bit worried they might not be perfectly done. It's probably been close to a month that the latest ones have been drying out. How do you determine when your beans are 100% done and can be sealed up in plastic and won't sweat?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you know where this comes from geographically? I like this bean shape and it's common with a lot of localish beans (Dolloff, Chester, etc).
I don't know what geographic region this bean comes from but I collected it from a fellow in California. I think the bean will grow anywhere. However I think the bean is likely to have been grown by the native people on this continent east of the Mississippi river. The pods are too large and succulent to have come from a dry region where it would have probably evolved water saving characteristics and smaller pods. I do think it is.... one tough bean.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I'm thinking the time is coming very soon to send you my network beans, I think they are almost all probably dry enough. I don't know 100% so I'm a little bit worried they might not be perfectly done. It's probably been close to a month that the latest ones have been drying out. How do you determine when your beans are 100% done and can be sealed up in plastic and won't sweat?

If your latest harvested beans have been drying for a month they are probably dry enough to even store away in your freezer. I had a bean return from someone in Minnesota this year in late August. The beans have been in a ziploc baggie since then and there is no molding or indication of any trouble with them. I am right now in the process of packaging beans and putting them away in my freezer. You can always take one bean and place it on a very hard surface like concrete and hit it with a hammer and if it shatters into pieces. Then it's dry enough to store.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 i'll be happy to adopt Mrocumere Outcrosses - Bush Dry #1, #2 and #3. they are bush beans and they fit right in with Monster (which is just a brown version very close to the yellow versions you have there).

the two Canadian Dot Eye beans are similar to beans i've had come about here in out-crosses. i've seen both of those exact patterns and colors. when replanted some may be stable but others won't be. i've never gotten a large enough crop from my Yellow Soldier beans to get a repeat from them big enough to replant as a solid block, but that is where my Pheasant and Spotted Pheasant came from me trying to get the Yellow Soldiers to stablize.

i know i gave you some of the Yellow Soldier beans a few years ago and if you replant those you'll likely have a mix of results like i have gotten.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...You can always take one bean and place it on a very hard surface like concrete and hit it with a hammer and if it shatters into pieces. Then it's dry enough to store.

eek! :) i can't do that to a bean! :) here if they have been inside for a month at this time of the year they should be dry enough. the heat is running and that cures them pretty well.

Latest posts