2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 20- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Mrociumere- Bush Dry

Very pretty bean I originally obtained from a Seed Savers Exchange member in California in 2011. The bean is from Kenya. For a bush bean it seems to grow fairly large plants. An 8 foot section of row produced over 1.5 poounds of beans this summer.

Mrs. Keeny's Pink - Bush Dry

Orignally Acquired this bean from Marshall Smyth of Potter Valley Califronia. He was the person who wanted me to start this thread in 2013 and have a network of bean growers. Marshall never gave me any history on the bean. It produced an nice crop of beans this summer with 8 foot section of row producing 1.25 pounds of beans

mrociumere.jpgmrs keenys pink.jpgMrociumere............................................................................Mrs. Keeny's Pink

Night Sky - Pole Dry

Got this bean a couple of years ago from one of our Canadian network growers. That grower obtained it from a friend. It seems as I recall the bean started out being more dark blue. This year it grew with the black coloring. It wasn't a good grow out of this bean this summer. Very few beans were produced. Might possibly grow again in 2022.

Nippersink - Bush Dry

In 2013 I found a bean colored just like this in the semi runner Molasses Face. After 8 grow outs I decided to give up on that version of Nippersink. In 2019 I found a bean of this same color in the bush bean Weiner Trieb. After growing this verison for two seasons I have discovered that the Weiner Trieb version puts out the same segregations in the same colors and the Molasses Face outcross did. I love the orange coloration of this bean but I don't know if it will ever become stable. I wonder if a cross of the two Nippersinks would create a stable version. This years grow out produced 7 segreations.

night sky.jpgnippersink.jpg
Night Sky......................................................................Nippersink

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Day 20- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Nippersink Segregations

z-nippersink OT 1.JPG
Nippersink Segregation #1

nippersink OT 2.jpgnippersink OT 3.jpg
Nippersink Segregation #2..........................................Nippersink Segregation #3

nippersink OT 4.jpgnippersink OT 5.jpg
Nippersink Segregation #4.........................................Nippersink Segregation #5

nippersink OT 6.jpgnippersink OT 7.jpg
Nippersink Segregation #6......................................Nippersink Segregation #7

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Day 21- The Beans I Grew This Summer

North Town Brown Eye- Bush Dry

One of the many Robert Lobitz bean I acquired from Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah, Iowa in 2020 and grew out this summer of 2021. A Robert Lobitz original named bean. Of course he introduced this bean through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook about 20 years ago.

North Star Yellow Eye - Bush Dry

Another of the many Robert Lobitz named beans. Pretty much an average size plants with white blossoms and pods typical of a yellow eye type bean. Introduced throught the SSE yearbook.

north brown eye.jpgnorth star yellow eye.jpg
North Town Brown Eye.....................................................North Star Yellow Eye

Owl's Head - Half Runner Dry

This bean came to me as a surprise back in the early 1980's. A package in the mailbox from Will Bonsall contained this striking looking and interesting bean. A bean Will discovered and named from his gardens. I've grew this bean this past summer on 4 foot tall hog or handy panels. The plants never climbed much beyond the top of the wire. So almost seemed like a semi runner this season. It did quite well under difficult conditions.

Palomino - Bush Dry

I've grown this bean and collected it in the early 1980's. One of the many I got from John Withee's Wanigan Associates. 19 inch tall plants grows without runners. 4 ½ x 3/8 inch pods are smooth and rounded. 90 days to first dry pods. The bean can look nearly like a gold Jacob's Cattle but hardly produced any white area or spotting this summer. John Withee in his bean notes had notations of most of the beans for his sources of the varieties in his catalog. John has himself as the source. So makes me think he discovered this bean as an outcross in his bean gardens and stablized the variety over time. I understand it is a good baking bean. This bean produced one off type seed this season which really cut into it's productivity. I didn't much care for the off type but I will show it anyway.

owl's head.jpgpalomino.jpg
Owl's Head....................................................................Palomino

Palomino Off Type

paloming black OT.jpg
Palomino Off Type

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Owl's Head is such a unique looking bean, I really like that one. A winning name to boot. I'm really starting to appreciate semi runners beans, I find them generally quite healthy and productive. For 2022 I'm gonna make a point to grow a lot more semi's. I haven't really grown much of those so far.