2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Pawnee color and pattern is very common in my grow outs here. i think it comes from the bean Painted Pony and whatever bean it might cross with as brown tends to be a very common color here among any grow outs of out crosses that haven't become stable yet.
I too have gotten a number of brown and white Jacob's Cattle patterned seeds here too from outcrossing. Though most of them have never quite taken on the same seed shape and brown shading of Pawnee. Always something slightly different looking about those brown and white beans. Back in the day when I first discovered Pawnee. This beans pattern was familiar to me through Jacob's Cattle but the milk chocolate brown and white in that pattern was something very new to me.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 23- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Prince Purple- Bush Dry

Another of the Robert Lobitz original named beans. 78 to 85 days to first dry pods. 4 to 5 inch (10-12 cm) green pods. Seeds are short with somewhat flattened ends. Color is bright purple when new with a slight whitish mottling. Acquired this bean from a young fellow in Kentucky in April 2015. before he went off to college to study plant breeding. Started growing the bean the following season and have grown it every year since. A lot of requests I get for purple, bluish and yellow beans.

Purple Stardust - Bush Dry

Another Robert Lobitz original named bean. Very similar color and pattern as another bean from Africa known as Mrociumere. This seed is shorter more oval and a little heavier. Productive and beautiful .

prince purple.jpgpurple stardust.jpg
Prince Purple..................................................................Purple Stardust

Purple Swan - Bush Dry

A Robert Lobitz orignal named bean he introduced through the Seed Savers Exhange yearbook. 14 tall (35 cm} plants with Mauve blossoms and purple pods. Acquired this bean in the spring of 2020 from Seed Savers Exchange. The seemingly genetically linked purple pods and seed color show up here again.

Purple Tiger - Bush Dry

18 inch tall (45 cm) plants with deep pink blossoms. 6 inch green pods easy to hand shell upon becoming dry. A Robert Lobitz named bean. Acquired from Seed Savers Exchange in the spring of 2020.

purple swan.jpgpurple tiger.jpg
Purple Swan....................................................................Purple Tiger

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the weekend as I was packaging beans and entering them on my computer record for storage in the freezer. I ran across the entry of the Purple Podded Asparagus seed. Next to the entry I apparently typed in the name of the person who sent it to me. I went into the freezer and there was the packet of extra seed I had held onto. I hadn't sent all the seed to @Zeedman. Tried to find this person on Facebook but no luck. I decided to do a search for the name on my email folders and Gwala.....There this persons name popped up. She got the seed from someone in her community garden and she will ask again if that person knows the name of the variety. She also said she hopes the person might remember the seed company she bought it from. Maybe they can find the name in the companies seed catalog. That is where I am in the search of the Purple Podded Asparagus beans name as the sender called it.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hahaha, peas and chipmunks... oy... !!!!! <-- not enough exclamaition marks really...

i had some great peas this year, planted them early and even if we had a very warm and dry long spell i still had a lot to eat and then i left the rest of the pods on the plant because i wanted to harvest seeds to increase my seed supply and be able to give them away to other people. then the chipmunks discovered them and i didn't notice until they'd raided and eaten most of the seeds from the pods. i do have enough seeds to replant and will keep a closer eye on things next year as i do plan on repeating these. they were so good and they persisted quite a ways into the summer even with the hot and dry weather. they lasted longer than the Purple Dove beans. i hardly ever have had peas go very long into the summer. these would have even gone longer had i been patient enough but i really needed to get that space turned under so they had to go. i found pea plants all over that the chipmunks had moved around and planted for me, but i'm not sure any will return next spring. at least i do have enough seeds.

all good fun and good learning too. :)

i love fresh peas and fresh pea pods too.

Note the pea-shaped lump in the cheek.
2021-07-04 15.45.14.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the weekend as I was packaging beans and entering them on my computer record for storage in the freezer. I ran across the entry of the Purple Podded Asparagus seed. Next to the entry I apparently typed in the name of the person who sent it to me. I went into the freezer and there was the packet of extra seed I had held onto. I hadn't sent all the seed to @Zeedman. Tried to find this person on Facebook but no luck. I decided to do a search for the name on my email folders and Gwala.....There this persons name popped up. She got the seed from someone in her community garden and she will ask again if that person knows the name of the variety. She also said she hopes the person might remember the seed company she bought it from. Maybe they can find the name in the companies seed catalog. That is where I am in the search of the Purple Podded Asparagus beans name as the sender called it.
Thanks, @Bluejay77 , for the update. It would be great to attach a name to this one. My own research points to several possibilities. Sandhill lists the black-seeded "Cow" as "The most productive cowpea I have ever grown.", which sure echoes my observations.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Note the pea-shaped lump in the cheek.
View attachment 45850

We have such petty thieves in Poland. Fortunately, they are mostly interested in nuts, not beans. I have a large walnut next to my house and many times a squirrel has climbed on it while I was standing a few steps away. Their insolence is really fun.

View attachment 45855
Your squirrels are a lot more colorful than mine, @Artorius . I would find those critters to be a lot more charming, if they weren't so darn destructive. A chipmunk harvested nearly all of one of my soybeans this year, and they are one of the reasons garbanzos are so difficult for me. :(

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You squirrels are a lot more colorful than mine, @Artorius . I would find those critters to be a lot more charming, if they weren't so darn destructive. A chipmunk harvested nearly all of one of my soybeans this year, and they are one of the reasons garbanzos are so difficult for me. :(
Ive had good luck using hot sauce as a deterrent. The worst I ever have is when I grow peanuts and just have to coat the whole bed with pepper pulp.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday a person that signed up new on TheEasyGarden.com. emailed me the following message below. Can anyone here give any ideas about this persons dilema.

I am hoping that you could help me. My membership to The Easy Garden forum was approved yesterday, and I planned to post in the Bean Network thread this morning. However I've found that I've been banned for "posting spam" (I'd made a post last night offering to help with the hull-less pumpkin seed project) and it says to contact an administrator if this is in error... but I'm banned, and cannot navigate the site to find contact information. Could you please help me?

Latest posts