2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
2021 soybeans, the last of this year's grow out:

20211013_160249.jpg 20211013_160315.jpg 20210901_171043.jpg
Tengamine, from the USDA/ARS 2007, originally from Sakate Seed Company, Japan. DTM 90 days for edamame, 110-115 days dry. Moderately-branched 24" bushes. This is a large-seeded edamame variety, with very good flavor, and 40% protein (dry weight). Most pods 2-seeded at 2" plant spacing; wider spacing (4-6") will give the best results, and minimize lodging. Fortunately, the rodents caused little damage on this one; from a 20' row, we harvested 5' of the row for edamame, and harvested 38 ounces of seed.

20211013_153940.jpg 20211013_154010.jpg 20210926_190948.jpg
Tokio Vert, from Robert Lobitz 2006. DTM 115 days here (dry). 28-30" very heavily-branched bushes (see the single plant above). More than 50% of the pods are borne on the branches, which are about 3/4 the length of the central stalk. Pods dark brown when dry. Seed green with brown hilum, sometimes with light brown mottling that looks almost painted on (but not this year). Protein 44% dry weight. The seed quality of this variety is consistently high, with very few culls, and a very high yield. Deer mowed these early in the season, but the plants rebounded strongly & produced 28 ounces from a 10' row.

20211013_150949.jpg 20211013_151017.jpg
Ugra Saja, from Robert Lobitz 2006, originally developed in Sweden. Very early DTM (90 days) but a fairly small yield. Short 20" plants. Brown seeds, 44% protein & 19-20% oil (dry weight). This was one of the few soybeans which under-performed this year; poor germination, and deer damage from which the plants only partially recovered. I will probably drop this one, because I have other brown-seeded varieties with the same DTM which will out-perform it. Only 6 ounces of seed.

Three other soybeans did not germinate at all, and were complete failures: Pando (a very early high-protein green); Sapporo Midori (an early, very large-seeded edamame); and St. Ita (a middle-DTM green). All were 2012 or 2013 seed, but tested at least 25% germination prior to planting & were over-sown to compensate. So I'm assuming that either something killed the seeds under ground, or ate the sprouts as they emerged. They will all be started in pots for 2022, using the rescue protocols that were so effective this year with old seed that failed in 2020.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bean Mail today and it came via the USDA Aphis PPQ in Linden, New Jersey

1500 Year Old Cave And Rattlesnake.jpg1500 Year Old Cave And Rattlesnake Packet Fronts.jpg
1500 Year Old Cave & Rattle Snake

Dead Man's Tooth And Slut.jpgDead Man's Tooth And Slut Packet Fronts.jpg
Dead Man's Tooth & Slut

Karachaganack And Jack In The Beanstalk.jpgKarachaganack And Jack In The Beanstalk Packet Fronts.jpg
Karachaganack & Jack In The Beanstalk

King Of The Earlies And Seneca Pole.jpgKing Of The Earlies And Seneca Pole Packet Fronts.jpg
King Of The Earlies & Seneca Pole

Mr Tung And Atlas.jpgMr Tung And Atlas Packet Ftonts.jpg
Atlas And Mr. Tung

I'm amazed that the Seneca Pole even grew. It's been sitting in it's packet in a plastic box in my basement since about 2015 and I don't think it was really very new seed then. I wonder if the Mother Earth Seed will grow?

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77

I'm happy you finally got these beans. I was worried that something went wrong again. Hope the seeds meet your quality standards.

Mother Earth grew up but was in a place devastated by moles. I only collected a few seeds that I could send to you without shame. Pink Tip Greasy and Fox Family Greasy also grew there. I will send them all next year.

Only Luther Family Greasy Cornfield didn't sprout from the network seeds you sent me. Despite my efforts, all the seeds have fermented.

Dead Man's Tooth was described as a pole, but all 11 plants I had grew as true bush.

Karachaganak is a bush variant. I will plant it next year and see if it repeats this type of growth again. I forged your label, sorry :)

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sadly no, but i planted a little late. I am going to try it again next year and start in gallon jugs.
I tried Mbombo Green this year, and it didn't produce a whole lot either. I do love the colour though. Almost all the African beans I've tried have been quite early & very productive. I might try it again next year to see if they do any better in another location.

Latest posts