2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wanted to try a different background today while the great UFO in the sky was shining. :) focus not the best, but the colors are at least better than what i tried earlier. :)

DSC_20211220_145133-0500_1208_Mix_thm.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did you wind up growing Kaiser Friedrich @Artorius? I'd be curious to see what they looked like, because mine looked much like your picture of Gout DCD'E. I haven't checked mine since storing them, but I don't think they developed yet the beige tones. They are very nice looking beans though.

I got some nice bean mail today, Karachaganack, Fountain Pitts Allen, Anakin Kuvalli Giant (big!), Soldier, Dove's Breast. They were all freshly grown this summer, so the colours are still quite vibrant and clear. Karachaganack looks to me a bit like a Dapple Grey and Orca bean dancing quickly. Is the name a geographical reference?

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
This year, during the ripening of the pods, the weather was favorable. It was wet in late August and early September, but there was no tragedy here in the mountains. Most of the bush bean pods have already been harvested. I think that the summer heat was more troublesome. Many flowers and small pole bean pods have fallen.
However, in the south of my region, in the lowlands, planters suffered heavy losses. It started to rain when the beans were mowed there and drying up while waiting for the threshing harvesters.

@heirloomgal
I have not grown Kaiser Friedrich bean this year so I can't compare. I'll plant it next year.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of the types of beans I focus on is pole wax beans with something other than the typical white or brown seeds; those are really interesting.
'Gold of Bacau' is another nice pole wax bean @Zeedman. It probably fits into the brown category to some degree, but it is more a silvery grey brown and it's a nice large attractive seed. I bought it years ago because I liked the seed colour; I'm not a huge fan of wax beans. I have some older seed I may try to grow out this year if there is space for them (my dream list for 2022 increases by the day). I can see why people get so into growing pole beans, just 3 plants and a pole & you can beat a whole 6 foot row of bush beans for seed production.

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of the types of beans I focus on is pole wax beans with something other than the typical white or brown seeds; those are really interesting.
That's a pattern & colour I don't believe I've seen on any other bean, let alone a wax bean.
I also like wax pods with unusual seed colours; that's why I was so enamoured with Artorius's 'Atlas'.
Though Oude Sloveense Boterboon has to take the prize for most vivid seeds, surely?! At least when fresh 🤯 I'd be interested to know your favourites.

Latest posts