2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tonawanda Variant - pole. I got two types of seeds. Such looking seeds I received from @Bluejay77 so I assume they are correct.

Tonawanda Variant.jpg

The second type is flatter and angular seeds with a gray coating.

Tonawanda Variant outcross.jpg

There is not much information on the Internet about this bean. I also found a mention of the Tonawanda Variant # 2 variety, but I don't know what it looks like because it doesn't even have one photo.

Lemon Slice - half runner.

Lemon Slice 1.jpg
Lemon Slice 2.jpg

I have grown five plants. From two of them I got seeds with yellow swirls so bright they are almost invisible. I will sow them this year. I am curious what can grow out of them.

Lemon Slice variant.jpg

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After a lot of trouble with voles and mice I now use a lot of plastic water or milk bottles with the top and bottom cut off.
I've been using those as mini-greenhouses to get a jumpstart on squash and melons. Usually transplants, but the plastic water bottles also do a stellar job of warming the soil for direct-seeding.

It seems I've been pretty lucky that voles haven't damaged either of the gardens. *knock on wood. It could have something to do with my army of garter snakes. 🤔 (I love garter snakes!)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lemon Slice - half runner.

View attachment 46724
View attachment 46725

I have grown five plants. From two of them I got seeds with yellow swirls so bright they are almost invisible. I will sow them this year. I am curious what can grow out of them.

View attachment 46726

yay! what a nice crop from just a few plants. :) those look great with the bright yellow stripe. i wish the pale background didn't get darker tan as they age, but as i keep growing them i try to select for the ones that don't age as quickly.

as for the pale ones. you may get some which will give you back the bright yellow stripe again. personally, i would just eat those and only replant the striped ones from above.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems I've been pretty lucky that voles haven't damaged either of the gardens. *knock on wood. It could have something to do with my army of garter snakes. 🤔 (I love garter snakes!)

me too and the other snakes here in all the rock piles and hiding places. i just wish they'd be a bit more active in the winter months too since the mice seem to still be running around. perhaps we need to figure out how to knit them a heated sweater or something? :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
me too and the other snakes here in all the rock piles and hiding places. i just wish they'd be a bit more active in the winter months too since the mice seem to still be running around. perhaps we need to figure out how to knit them a heated sweater or something? :)
You can already get heated sweaters, to keep the winter rodent population down... they're called cats. ;)

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was wanting to purchase a print edition of the seed savers exchange yearbook 2022, it said check back in mid January, isnt it currently mid january? Does anyone know why it is delayed?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was wanting to purchase a print edition of the seed savers exchange yearbook 2022, it said check back in mid January, isnt it currently mid january? Does anyone know why it is delayed?
I just joined SSE in December and have not received mine either. Their website says that they are experiencing "high order volume" and are 1.5-2 weeks behind in sending out orders. Maybe they are overwhelmed at the moment?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm still picturing little snakes zipping along with Doctor Who knit scarves. 😎

Latest posts