2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah! Sounds like a good haul!

Did a little sleuthing: Knowing that Joseph Simcox (aka 'the botanical explorer') only mentions one expedition to France, which was in 2010, and he gave @Bluejay77 his Haricot Tarbais in 2013... and Baker Creek began selling Haricot Tarbais (and bunches of other beans) in 2013*... I checked Baker Creek via the Wayback Machine for 2013. No go.

However, Rouge von Paris was sold by Baker Creek in 2016.

beautiful bean! :) (of course i had to look :) )...

my quick search for it came up with all sorts of foreign language pages having nothing to do with beans.

I checked 2013, 2016, then back to 2015 to see when Rouge von Paris first appears. It wasn't there in 2015 and I didn't look any further. I didn't see La Vigneronne in those years, but only looked at common beans.

*I bought Haricot Tarbais in 2017 and it was absolutely delicious when I finally got around to growing it in 2020, which is why I was so keen to save seed from the remaining 2017 seed in 2021. Haricot Tarbais was my Gateway Drug Bean. 😎

haha, the first one is free! :) the most deadly words to humans and even more dangerous to those of us who might be collectors. i actually did not start with any free beans, but i have held up my end of free beans to get others to grow them by giving away some.

i just finished up making containers of every green bean or wax bean type i have (about 10 kinds) here that might be edible and have already given one of them away. i was hoping to take them to the seed swap but now that it is cancelled again i'm going to have to figure out what to do with all these.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i just finished up making containers of every green bean or wax bean type i have (about 10 kinds) here that might be edible and have already given one of them away. i was hoping to take them to the seed swap but now that it is cancelled again i'm going to have to figure out what to do with all these.
Is that something that could be done through SSE (Seed Savers Exchange)?

I've thought about donating things to the food bank. DD received too many strawberry plants last year and potted up the extras, donating them at the food bank where she volunteers. They were very well received. I've thought of potting up some excess chive seeds and donating the wee plants. But I've wondered if seeds of easy-to-grow crops might be welcome too. 🤔

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that something that could be done through SSE (Seed Savers Exchange)?

i'm trying to keep it local to avoid mailings.

I've thought about donating things to the food bank. DD received too many strawberry plants last year and potted up the extras, donating them at the food bank where she volunteers. They were very well received. I've thought of potting up some excess chive seeds and donating the wee plants. But I've wondered if seeds of easy-to-grow crops might be welcome too. 🤔

:)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Makes sense. I'm very new to SSE and was surprised that so many only accept cash. Small bills are not easy to come by if you aren't going out.

it makes sense to me, to avoid a lot of dealings with payment processors or banks taking their chunk out of transactions. i haven't yet sent anything out with or asking for payments for individuals through the mail. i give things away or do trades and hope that people pay it forwards.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
it makes sense to me, to avoid a lot of dealings with payment processors or banks taking their chunk out of transactions. i haven't yet sent anything out with or asking for payments for individuals through the mail. i give things away or do trades and hope that people pay it forwards.
It actually can get trickier. I remember one seed supplier (maybe it was actually on this forum) who, due to being a doomsday prepper, would only take payment for his seeds in silver. Technically, I COULD have bought from him (between my coin collection, and the found money bag that goes back to my grandparents, we have decent amounts of silver). But barring something REALLY rare I can't think of much seed I would consider being WORTH silver today.

Then again, I suppose I am just as bad, in my own way. Ever since 1999 (and the fears of Y2K) I have made it a habit, every time I go to the Rock and Mineral show, to buy at least one cut gemstone, as a hedge against total economic collapse ( I only stopped when COVID hit, and the Rock and Mineral show stopped being put on, and will probably start again when it come back.). I no longer believe that such a rapid collapse is coming (or, if it does, that gems will help me much.) But at least, if the improbable ever happens and I fall in love, I have a nice group of stones to pick from should I want to have a custom ring made.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It actually can get trickier. I remember one seed supplier (maybe it was actually on this forum) who, due to being a doomsday prepper, would only take payment for his seeds in silver. Technically, I COULD have bought from him (between my coin collection, and the found money bag that goes back to my grandparents, we have decent amounts of silver). But barring something REALLY rare I can't think of much seed I would consider being WORTH silver today.

Then again, I suppose I am just as bad, in my own way. Ever since 1999 (and the fears of Y2K) I have made it a habit, every time I go to the Rock and Mineral show, to buy at least one cut gemstone, as a hedge against total economic collapse ( I only stopped when COVID hit, and the Rock and Mineral show stopped being put on, and will probably start again when it come back.). I no longer believe that such a rapid collapse is coming (or, if it does, that gems will help me much.) But at least, if the improbable ever happens and I fall in love, I have a nice group of stones to pick from should I want to have a custom ring made.

i have a very small coin collection of wheat pennies. i love wheat pennies. none of the rest of the coins caught my interest as much as those. perhaps the plant aspect. i also do like the maple leaf pennies but i don't collect those. the colored gem market is attractive, i mean, who's not going to like pretty colors flashing in the lights and such? but to me the real gems are beans. i just enjoy beans so much they're really my gold coins like Scrooge stacking them up and admiring the looks and feel of them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh, I can relate. 😊

I like running my fingers through them too. 😅

yes, the tactile aspect is important to me too, like collecting stones from the beach: color, shapes, feel, even the smells and sounds. all work together to make me and my OCD brain happy. in the middle of winter if i feel like i need something to do to keep my fingers and brain happy i'll take sorted beans and mix them back together so i can sort them out again.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a SHTF scenario, beans would be worth more than gems or metals. Food is always good currency.

I suspect there is a great deal of wealth concentrated in all of the bean counters here. ;)

Latest posts