2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal

The plot thickens. Beans are so much fun!

@aftermidnight We’re talking beans buddy!

Finally got the link, here is me friend's bean @HmooseK. I realised when I found this pic that she calls it Orca.

1619469603909.png

I'm growing Vaquero this year, but I find it quite a bit smaller than the Orca beans that I have.
1619469799983.png
Vaquero....
1619469901641.png
The Orca bean that I have.....

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i'm going from what i've grown, but also looking at what images show up when searched for on-line. so far, the only image i'm coming across for variations in the first pages are "Black Calypso Bean Seeds" which look like what were posted above. imo they are not Calypso, Orca or Yin Yang beans but something else sharing the same name and confusing things.

of course, someone may have crossed or selected these or it could be a second naming which is fine with me, but i'd still call them something else.

who has precedence? :) first naming in historical sources available and then if there is an actual serious issue genetic sequencing could probably figure out who was first.

to me the above pictures look like a cross that came from Anasazi or some other similar patterned SW USoA bean.
I guess with all heirloom varieties, we're cupping our hands over the plants at a point of expression that we like, that we want to hold on to. But they are always shifting away from our cupped hands incrementally. We pull them back again and again to get them to stay put, but nature persists. Maybe that's what happened with this mysterious bean that seems to go by all those names, Calypso, Orca, Free Willy, Yin Yang, and has those variations in appearance?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess with all heirloom varieties, we're cupping our hands over the plants at a point of expression that we like, that we want to hold on to. But they are always shifting away from our cupped hands incrementally. We pull them back again and again to get them to stay put, but nature persists. Maybe that's what happened with this mysterious bean that seems to go by all those names, Calypso, Orca, Free Willy, Yin Yang, and has those variations in appearance?

while it may be possible, i'd just say it's a misclassification unless the seller has more in-depth provenance/history. i've seen enough mistakes, wishful thinking and outright made up stories to make a sale that it wouldn't really surprise me.

i'd not pass that bean on as Calypso.

when i first started out bean collecting this link really helped me and it seemed pretty well researched:

then i found a few others including @Bluejay77 's website and then TEG. certainly i'd trust Russ and @Zeedman's knowledge above my own when it comes down to many things bean. :)

one thing i do here is when i get a new bean i keep a sample of it so i always have that for a comparison and reference so that if i start seeing pattern/color/etc changes then i can catch it.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
while it may be possible, i'd just say it's a misclassification unless the seller has more in-depth provenance/history. i've seen enough mistakes, wishful thinking and outright made up stories to make a sale that it wouldn't really surprise me.

i'd not pass that bean on as Calypso.

when i first started out bean collecting this link really helped me and it seemed pretty well researched:

then i found a few others including @Bluejay77 's website and then TEG. certainly i'd trust Russ and @Zeedman's knowledge above my own when it comes down to many things bean. :)

one thing i do here is when i get a new bean i keep a sample of it so i always have that for a comparison and reference so that if i start seeing pattern/color/etc changes then i can catch it.
You probably have a lot more experience than me @flowerbug with seed companies and these kinds of things. In Canada we really have very few seed companies, relative to our population size. There are one or two large outfits (which sells mostly hybrid seeds of various kinds), but heirloom beans are mostly sold by a handful of mom and pop companies that just really love heirloom/heritage seeds. My experience with them is that they are quite conscientious about varietal characteristics and history etc. But this is a very small handful of businesses compared to the thousands in the US, and I've never dealt with US seed companies.

Having said that though I've had some strange experiences with beans that lend to the slippery slope of what's what. Last year I sent a friend some beans I had hanging around for awhile that I never did get around to growing. I bought them at a bulk food store actually. I thought she might try them, if I didn't get to it, and the bean wouldn't be wasted. They looked exactly like Anasazi and was labelled that originally. Well, she grew them out and every single bean she harvested in fall looked exactly like a Jacob's Cattle. I couldn't believe it; they were all utterly different than what she planted. They were maybe a little thinner than the average JC but darn close. We have no idea what happened there, and with such uniformity. I've planted beans that turn a somewhat different in colour in my soil and conditions, but nothing like this. I'm tempted to grow one of those beans just to see what I get now. But it proposes an interesting question of what that bean 'is' if it continues that way, given that it isn't a crossing issue.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone grow beans from the Appalachian area? I have several in my collection and thinking of getting a few more. One that I’ve been looking at is called Big John.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone grow beans from the Appalachian area? I have several in my collection and thinking of getting a few more. One that I’ve been looking at is called Big John.

i have tried at least four and all of them go too long for our season up here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You probably have a lot more experience than me @flowerbug with seed companies and these kinds of things. In Canada we really have very few seed companies, relative to our population size. There are one or two large outfits (which sells mostly hybrid seeds of various kinds), but heirloom beans are mostly sold by a handful of mom and pop companies that just really love heirloom/heritage seeds. My experience with them is that they are quite conscientious about varietal characteristics and history etc. But this is a very small handful of businesses compared to the thousands in the US, and I've never dealt with US seed companies.

Having said that though I've had some strange experiences with beans that lend to the slippery slope of what's what. Last year I sent a friend some beans I had hanging around for awhile that I never did get around to growing. I bought them at a bulk food store actually. I thought she might try them, if I didn't get to it, and the bean wouldn't be wasted. They looked exactly like Anasazi and was labelled that originally. Well, she grew them out and every single bean she harvested in fall looked exactly like a Jacob's Cattle. I couldn't believe it; they were all utterly different than what she planted. They were maybe a little thinner than the average JC but darn close. We have no idea what happened there, and with such uniformity. I've planted beans that turn a somewhat different in colour in my soil and conditions, but nothing like this. I'm tempted to grow one of those beans just to see what I get now. But it proposes an interesting question of what that bean 'is' if it continues that way, given that it isn't a crossing issue.

yes, soil quality affects seed coats. i'm pretty sure i've seen that here along with examples others have posted in these threads. i have a couple different gardens with strikingly different soils so if i can i plant the same bean in more than one soil type to see how it responds.

out-crosses and stability can be fun if you have the space and patience to sort them out again or to be able to grow enough blocks of plants to get enough isolation. i don't go very hard in that direction myself since i'm ok with having out-crosses show up. i actively work instead in some cases to encourage certain out-crosses because i do want to see how certain varieties will combine. i'm not into hand pollinating and doing that kind of direct approach though (even it would probably save me some time) as i do like letting the bees do their thing. i'm more like the herder and observer of results who applies selection pressure after the fact and then i make my choices about what to do next.

as usual i'm always hyped for harvest time and shelling seeds out and seeing what has happened. :) early christmas. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have tried at least four and all of them go too long for our season up here.

i did get a cross that i think came from Pink Tip and my usual small red kidney bean called Red Ryder, but i don't grow this cross out every year in major quantities so i'm not sure how uniform or stable it is. i think it is ok to work with though (which is why i keep at it :) ). once i'd had enough years of growing it that it was fairly stable i gave it the name Sunset. there is a Sunset runner bean and another with the word sunset in the name, but it is a white soldier bean so no danger of confusion there. :) Sunset describes the color of the bean perfectly (a fairly dark orange color with red hints along the edges).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HmooseK said:

I have grown Leslie Tenderpod for years and it does very well here. A nice stringless snap pole bean. I'm going to try Skunk Bean too this year which is from the Appalachian area. Next year I want to try Letcher County Fall bean.

Latest posts