2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I ran out of some space so I decided to take him away from the swamp . I still have to prepare them. It is located higher than the rest of the area. The soil is beautiful on it. Its lumps crumble in the fingers even when it is wet.

View attachment 40563

The rest of the area looks like this :)

View attachment 40564
Be alert @Artorius, I read that article about the Warta fisherman who caught a nile crocodile in a swamp in Poland ;)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius I'm thinking of planting those Piekny Jas beans into containers tomorrow, so I can plant them out as transplants instead of seeds. But I remembered today that I did have some runner beans rot on me last year when I started them in pots (Sadie's Horse) and that runners do grow pretty fast too. Our usual plant out day here is end of May, early June depending on the weather. Do you think it's too early to start them, or just plant them in ground instead? They may spend a month in the pots if the weather acts up.
Aside from the fact that I prefer to start beans as transplants anyway (fewer problems) there is an especially good reason to start runner beans that way, if you have squirrels. One year, I direct-seeded a long row of runner beans - and almost immediately following germination, squirrels dug up the entire row! :mad: It occurred to me several weeks later (as I was pulling out some tree seedlings) that runner bean sprouts closely resemble the sprouts from buried nuts. Squirrels don't seem to be interested in leafed-out runner bean transplants.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Be alert @Artorius, I read that article about the Warta fisherman who caught a nile crocodile in a swamp in Poland ;)
One summer, fishermen caught piranhas in a dam reservoir on a river next to my town. Seriously. Probably some bored aquarist let them out there.

Last edited:

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have several new to me beans this year, but It’s been an unusually cooler and wet start this year. I had a hail storm yesterday and my poor tomato and pepper plants took a bit of a whooping, but should recover just fine. Most every plant is loaded with fruit.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been so dry here in March and April that I can't till two of my sites to add and mix in ammendments. These two places have hard and cracked soil. I suppose that when it warms up we will probably get a deluge of rain. Temperatures here lately in this month of May are more like early to mid April.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been so dry here in March and April that I can't till two of my sites to add and mix in ammendments. These two places have hard and cracked soil. I suppose that when it warms up we will probably get a deluge of rain. Temperatures here lately in this month of May are more like early to mid April.
Here too. We've had freeze or frost warnings since last week, and those continue tonight & tomorrow (upper 20's predicted tonight), Plants are crowded together under my lights, waiting for the greenhouse to get warm enough for them to go outside.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Was doing some research on my Chuck Norris' Outlaw bean, and the company I bought it from calls it a hybrid bean. I didn't think beans (or peas for that matter) were ever sold as hybrids, that a hybrid bean is an exception to the rule and happens occasionally as a crossed bean. Is it possible this was a packet error? I've seen that before, though not often. I'm not sure if this bean would be considered 'commercial' but it is sold by one of our bigger seed companies, not sure what to think on this.

Latest posts