2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Something special about that first day you plant beans into the ground...🤩
Still trying to finalise the place for everything, but there is still time. Just the rows of potentiality is so merrymaking!
The soil was cold and sticky to put those fava beans in, but I was so happy to be planting I didn't mind a bit.
20210504_152412_resized.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Artorius I'm thinking of planting those Piekny Jas beans into containers tomorrow, so I can plant them out as transplants instead of seeds. But I remembered today that I did have some runner beans rot on me last year when I started them in pots (Sadie's Horse) and that runners do grow pretty fast too. Our usual plant out day here is end of May, early June depending on the weather. Do you think it's too early to start them, or just plant them in ground instead? They may spend a month in the pots if the weather acts up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius I'm thinking of planting those Piekny Jas beans into containers tomorrow, so I can plant them out as transplants instead of seeds. But I remembered today that I did have some runner beans rot on me last year when I started them in pots (Sadie's Horse) and that runners do grow pretty fast too. Our usual plant out day here is end of May, early June depending on the weather. Do you think it's too early to start them, or just plant them in ground instead? They may spend a month in the pots if the weather acts up.

if you keep them warm enough until they sprout they should be ok. use a deeper and bigger pot.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal
Planters in Poland have already sowed runner beans in the fields. I know because I read their forum :)
According to forecasts, last night was to be the last with a probability of frost. I wanted to be ready on May 15 and I will. I start planting the runner beans in the pots about 3 weeks before this date. I'll be transplanting them next week.

Runner beans (Sadie's Horse, Jeżycka)
DSCN5223.jpg

Limas (Ping Zebra, Garrofon De Valencia, Red Dutch, Potawatomi)
DSCN5225.jpg

Pole beans (long list :))
DSCN5228.jpg

I have this order of planting beans: runner beans, limas, pole, half-runner and bush.

Last edited:

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Piekny Jas is going to “jump” out the gate like Secretariat.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal
Planters in Poland have already sowed runner beans in the fields. I know because I read their forum :)
According to forecasts, last night was to be the last with a probability of frost. I wanted to be ready on May 15 and I will. I start planting the runner beans in the pots about 3 weeks before this date. I'll be transplanting them next week.

Runner beans (Sadie's Horse, Jeżycka)
View attachment 40559

Limas (Ping Zebra, Garrofon De Valencia, Red Dutch, Potawatomi)
View attachment 40560

Pole beans (long list :))
View attachment 40562

I have this order of planting beans: runner beans, limas, pole, half-runner and bush.
Rough guess @Artorius how many beans transplants does that add up to?

Latest posts