2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2017 I grew out some segregations I found in Blue Jay which I was growing as a production bean. One plant by itself produced this segregation that I called Voodoo, a black bean with a purple tint. This is a quart jar and I counted over 2500 individual beans in it after sorting and only keeping the good ones.

So this is what 2,500 beans look like, all off of one plant. Darn close to a full quart from one plant. I think Voodoo beans were a little bigger than Buckshot sized.

Quart NF.JPG

I have tried to grow Voodoo again. I got several segregations and nowhere near that productivity, But I'll keep trying.

My guess on the Buxton Buckshot is 1155.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Not sure if I'm inserting this post in the proper place, as it's my first time posting... just wanted to say hello to all the bean folks. I'm looking forward to joining the conversation :) I have some pretty pics from my bean grow out this past year. When I figure it out, I'll post the lot of them...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Not sure if I'm inserting this post in the proper place, as it's my first time posting... just wanted to say hello to all the bean folks. I'm looking forward to joining the conversation :) I have some pretty pics from my bean grow out this past year. When I figure it out, I'll post the lot of them...

hello and welcome to another bean fan. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm pretty happy to be here, I've been following the posts here since last fall. I've really enjoyed it - so many nice photos. I've never joined a 'forum' before so it's quite the novel experience for me. I am somewhat of an heirloom seed collector, and for the past two years I've been working on building up my heirloom bean collection, and refining my growing techniques for them at the same time. I just LOVE beans! Growing 'em, and eating them!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never joined a 'forum' before so it's quite the novel experience for me.

I'm glad you chose this forum to get started. Just play around with it, try things, and ask questions. Once you figure out how to do things it isn't hard but it can be really frustrating until you figure it out. So ask if you need to.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
So happy you are here @heirloomgal. A million welcomes to you. I have three network growers in Canada, but they don't get in on our thread here. Perhaps they stop by to read the thread once in awhile. I too eat a lot of beans in my daily life. Perhaps I should post my bean soup recipe sometime that I have developed on my own over the years. I think you are in for a wonderful time here.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's Yummy Bean Soup
Fit For A Hungry Crow Or Other Creatures

Using A 5 quart stainless steel stock pot

Put in the pot 1 gallon of water
add 18 oz of mixed colored beans or any bean of your choice.
I simmer on low heat probaby for about 5 hours. I cook with gas so you may have to judge if you got electric.

At about 1 hour of simmering. I dust the top of the water with some black pepper and mix.
At two hours I dice up one full package of Celery add to the mix.
Also dice up 1 pound of baby carrots
Also dice up 1 very large white or yellow onion.
At about the time the beans still have two and half more hours to simmer I start 5 large boneless skinless chick breasts in my crock pot.

When the beans and veggies are done simmering I add half a jar of it's Better Than Bouillon chicken base. Mix in while the mixture is hot.
Also at the time the beans are done simmering I add 2 & 1/2 cups of French's Worchester Sauce. You may want to add less if 2 & 1/2 cups is too strong for you.

By this time the chicken breasts should be well crocked. I pick them out of the pot with my french fry tongs and place them on a dinner plate to cool until I can handle them comfortably. I then take my butcher knife and shave them little by little across the grain of the muscle breaking up the meat to a fairly fine texture. Of course all the shredded chicken breasts then get mixed in to the beans, veggies, and seasoning mix.

This will usually fill the stock pot almost to the top. I usually eat a bowl of it right away. After it sits in my frig till the next day. It usually gets thicker since the chicken meat absorbs some of the water. I usually thin it out just a little again with the addition of a cup or cup and a half of water.

Fiddle with the mixture to your liking. I have fed this soup to my neighbors and they just love it.

Bon Appetit :)

Last edited:

Latest posts