2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Mom asked what i needed to buy more beans for"
Yeah, I've often been asked that question too, by DW. Did you happen to have every square inch of horizontal space covered with beans at the time? :lol:

is that a question? :) (i wish i'd said this the first time i replied :) )...

i've cleaned up quite a bit in here now making way for the next round of projects and coming spring plantings (eek!). :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the Black Nightfall color mutation I found in 2019. All frosted black, the pods more purple. The bean repeated that color in 2020. This year I will also plant it.
I have tentatively called it Smoker's Lung, but I don't know if it's an appropriate name for a bean. 🤔

View attachment 39103
If you name it that, this bean will be probably be cemented into bean history. That is unforgettable. Literally.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you name it that, this bean will be probably be cemented into bean history. That is unforgettable. Literally.
I have two options, it's good to have a choice. I have time to think about it. At the moment, I have to confirm the stability of this bean in different types of soil.
The photo is a bit darkened but that way you can see the true color of the bean better.

Last edited:

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A miracle has happened, and I have figured out how how to 'attach files'...:fl

So, here are some pictures from this summer's selections. I'm super happy about the turnout because we had an unusually early and very, very wet fall. I lost some to rot, but not as much as I thought I might. The bean profile picture I inserted above 'heirloomgal' is Black Canterbury Dwarf. This bean was only beginning to produce it's green beans when all the others were gone to seed. I thought for certain no seeds would be harvested. So, I was amazed when the first frost hit that there was so many seeds fully mature. I collected a full jam jar from one row. I kinda consider it my 'good fortune bean' now.

View attachment 38710
Kabarika Bush Bean

View attachment 38718
Jumbo Roma

View attachment 38719
Low's Champion

View attachment 38720
Soisson Vert

View attachment 38721
Sadie's Horse Bean

View attachment 38722
Sadie's Horse Bean (comes in several coat patterns)

Will continue photos after I double check the images are coming up correctly, many tabs are appearing on my lower screen that I can't remove, not sure if this is correct....
I love the different color fabric you used as a background in your photos! Great idea!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the different color fabric you used as a background in your photos! Great idea!
Thank you @Tricia77! There is a practical advantage too; the device I have takes really low quality photos unless I'm outdoors on a sunny day. The fabrics help to reflect back some colour onto the beans, otherwise they look really dull and drab, like the colour has drained out of them. I try out a lot of different fabric swatches until I find the right one :)

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After seeing heirloomgal’s post about Tarahumara Purple Star beans it reminded me that I have a bunch of Tarahumara varieties in my collection. Most were bought from Native Seeds Search. I still need to grow them, so I might try one this year. I don’t have Tarahumara Purple Star, but I do have one called Tarahumara Star and Tarahumara Grey Star.

BCA837F8-325C-454C-AE80-E6F861AA57A1.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Tricia77 that is so cool! I've researched a bit about the Tarahumara named beans, and so many of them are quite beautiful. 😍 I think it's possible that Tarahumara Purple Star and Tarahumara Star are a similar bean, or at least there are some circulating around with the name Tarahumara Star, that look like the one I have.

Latest posts