2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on this site. I am from Victoria Canada. I have been growing network beans from Russ for the last few years. I grow mostly pole beans and I have been using rebar for the last 20 years. I purchased 10 foot poles and the weight of these poles push into the ground easy. I space them from 2 to 4 feet apart. I then tie string about 6 inches from the ground between them . I then tie string at about 8 feet up between the poles. I then tie string vertically from the top to the bottom at whatever distance apart you like. I have had a few lean over with the weight of the beans but never far enough to cause problems. This system could be a little heavy for some . I find them easy to put up and take down. The poles and string last almost forever
Welcome to TEG!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on this site. I am from Victoria Canada. I have been growing network beans from Russ for the last few years. I grow mostly pole beans and I have been using rebar for the last 20 years. I purchased 10 foot poles and the weight of these poles push into the ground easy. I space them from 2 to 4 feet apart. I then tie string about 6 inches from the ground between them . I then tie string at about 8 feet up between the poles. I then tie string vertically from the top to the bottom at whatever distance apart you like. I have had a few lean over with the weight of the beans but never far enough to cause problems. This system could be a little heavy for some . I find them easy to put up and take down. The poles and string last almost forever
Hi @Garryg, welcome to the LEBN!

So your beans climb up the strings between your rebar posts? What is your method to drive the rebar into the ground?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know where you are in Ontario but there is a fair chance you are further south than several bean growers on this network. You may not have as many issues with maturity dates as some people.

I'm probably in about a Zone 4 growing area, about 3 1/2 hours north of Toronto. I looked it up and apparently we get about 125 frost free days. So, the pole beans can be a bit dicey for me when the weather is variable, like it was last year. Close call for many of the 2020 pole beans.
The problem is the wind, how windy is your part of Ontario?

I'm in the burbs so I'm pretty hemmed in by trees, houses, sheds, & there is not a ton of major air movement in my yard in general. I have seen years where my bush beans suffered mold in the fall being up against my house or greenhouse due to not enough air movement (but also in all honestly, being spaced too close as well). My poles though have never had problems, but I haven't grown as many as I am this year. An ounce of prevention, as they say.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

*waves hello* :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal 1x2 is probably a bit too small for pounding in and pulling back out, i'd go with a 2x2 with the end cut to a point so you can pound it in.

for removing, a log, a chain to wrap around and a lever bar of some kind will get them out of the ground (without breaking).

if you are worried about the row not having enough support to stand up to the wind you could put a t-post at each end and then use a wire across the top and tie them all to the wire.

the tall t-posts here are expensive so i wouldn't want to use one each for each bean pole, but as ends or reinforcement along a row they'd do just fine.

i need them here for fences though... the too short t-bars don't hold the 6ft fence up and i need at least 6ft to disourage the deer.

Last edited:

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought this might be the place to ask. Anyone know of a company that’s selling kidney and/or pinto beans? I’d prefer bulk but honestly I’d take just a packet at this point. Normally we pick them up at the local coop but they didn’t have any this year. I’ll try store bought beans if I have too but I’d prefer not to.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought this might be the place to ask. Anyone know of a company that’s selling kidney and/or pinto beans? I’d prefer bulk but honestly I’d take just a packet at this point. Normally we pick them up at the local coop but they didn’t have any this year. I’ll try store bought beans if I have too but I’d prefer not to.

go to the grocery store and see if they have a package of 16 bean soup mix. it will likely have both of those beans in there and some others too. :)

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other good options, but I might recommend Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for pinto beans. No kidney beans, though. I've gotten popcorn from them in bulk before and maybe they would consider that if you ask.

It looks like Eden Brothers sells beans in bulk. I've never bought from them but it looks like they still have Tongues of Fire which is my favorite bean to grow and eat. They are sold out of most other varieties.

Vermont Bean Seed Company has kidney and pinto beans in smaller quantities but the larger packets are sold out. I have also never ordered from them.

And if you want A LOT of seed you could try a place like urban farmer - 5lbs for $30 bulk pinto and kidney.

Last edited:

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other good options, but I might recommend Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for pinto beans. No kidney beans, though. I've gotten popcorn from them in bulk before and maybe they would consider that if you ask.

It looks like Eden Brothers sells beans in bulk. I've never bought from them but it looks like they still have Tongues of Fire which is my favorite bean to grow and eat. They are sold out of most other varieties.

Vermont Bean Seed Company has kidney and pinto beans in smaller quantities but the larger packets are sold out. I have also never ordered from them.

And if you want A LOT of seed you could try a place like urban farmer - 5lbs for $30 bulk pinto and kidney.

Thank you so much!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many years of use can you get out of a pole @Bluejay77? Is it difficult to get them out at seasons end? A 1X2X8 here is about 2.50, which is not bad if I can get a couple years out of them. I've used some of these before to stake tomatoes, but they often broke at their joint when I tried to pry them out.

I think I have gotten about 5 or 6 years out of most of the poles. They are like indiviuals. You get one once in a while that won't last a long time.