2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I'm totally new to the forum but recently joined for this network, after a couple years of suspiciously lurking around Russ' Window. The acclaimed @Decoy1 helped me greatly in understanding how the process works, as I'm also in England.
Last night I finally finished reading this whole topic and the wealth of knowledge and passion here is astounding! I hope I can be of assistance in the next season, maybe taking on a couple of varieties that haven't had much attention this year, like Barksdale, which I believe would do well in our cool climate. Until then, I'll try not to flood you all with too many questions...

But right now, I do have one :): is the giant Dutch runner Boerentenen in any way similar to Piękny Jaś (apart from size)?

This year I've planted:

P. vulgaris
Angel, Aurie de Bacau, Beurre de Rocquencourt, Blokkerder, Blooming Prairie, Crochets de Savoie, Crochu de Savoie, Emperor of Russia, Frye's Golden Goose, Grady Bailly Greasy Cut-Short, Grand-mére, Grey Eyed Greasy, Kaiser Friedrich, Lazy Wife Greasy, Lekatt, Le Tigre, Mazlenk Rumen Visok II, Nain de Veitch, Oude Sloveense Boterboon, Petit Carré de Caen, Petit Gris, Purple Prize, Red Striped Greasy, Red Swan, Zurich Snap.

P. coccineus
Aeron Purple Star (only one survivor), Blackpod, Boerentenen.

V. faba
Á Fleur Noir, Double Red, El Beano, Oldambtster Wierdeboon, Ianto's Yellow (failure)

I'm most curious about 'Angel', my first time growing this variety. It bears the same seed markings and history as the Monstrance/Engelsbohne, but, instead of the usual white, the flowers are a vivid salmon. As far as I'm aware, this suggests it has crossed with P. coccineus at some point. Picture courtesy of the Heritage Seed Library.
Angel flowers.JPG

Last edited:

ZoeV

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never heard of those, and can't find a reference. Could you provide more info, on where you first saw them?
I saw some black soybeans - Flat in shape not round. And i asked japanese friend, she told me these names,

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I'm totally new to the forum but recently joined for this network, after a couple years of suspiciously lurking around Russ' Window. The acclaimed @Decoy1 helped me greatly in understanding how the process works, as I'm also in England.
Last night I finally finished reading this whole topic and the wealth of knowledge and passion here is astounding! I hope I can be of assistance in the next season, maybe taking on a couple of varieties that haven't had much attention this year, like Barksdale, which I believe would do well in our cool climate. Until then, I'll try not to flood you all with too many questions...

But right now, I do have one :): is the giant Dutch runner Boerentenen in any way similar to Piękny Jaś (apart from size)?

This year I've planted:

P. vulgaris
Angel, Aurie de Bacau, Beurre de Rocquencourt, Blokkerder, Blooming Prairie, Crochets de Savoie, Crochu de Savoie, Emperor of Russia, Frye's Golden Goose, Grady Bailly Greasy Cut-Short, Grand-mére, Grey Eyed Greasy, Kaiser Friedrich, Lazy Wife Greasy, Lekatt, Le Tigre, Mazlenk Rumen Visok II, Nain de Veitch, Oude Sloveense Boterboon, Petit Carré de Caen, Petit Gris, Purple Prize, Red Striped Greasy, Red Swan, Zurich Snap.

P. coccineus
Aeron Purple Star (only one survivor), Blackpod, Boerentenen.

V. faba
Á Fleur Noir, Double Red, El Beano, Oldambtster Wierdeboon, Ianto's Yellow (failure)

I'm most curious about 'Angel', my first time growing this variety. It bears the same seed markings and history as the Monstrance/Engelsbohne, but, instead of the usual white, the flowers are a vivid salmon. As far as I'm aware, this suggests it has crossed with P. coccineus at some point. Picture courtesy of the Heritage Seed Library.View attachment 41705

that's quite a list for the first season. :) welcome to LEBN thread and TEG. :)

i think it's good to have a lot of questions. i may not know the answer but i can read along as others reply.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello @Triffid,

Nice to have you here. A thousand welcomes. When you were suspicous lurking around Russ's window? Did you think it was a scam or some type of entrapment?

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm most curious about 'Angel', my first time growing this variety. It bears the same seed markings and history as the Monstrance/Engelsbohne, but, instead of the usual white, the flowers are a vivid salmon. As far as I'm aware, this suggests it has crossed with P. coccineus at some point. Picture courtesy of the Heritage Seed Library.
Angel flowers.JPG
An unusual bean. It does appear to either be a random mutation (unlikely), to have crossed with P. coccineus in the past - or possibly, to be a P. coccineus which crossed with P. vulgaris. There does not appear to be a red or salmon flowered P. vulgaris in the USDA's GRIN database. I found "Holy" as another synonym for Monstrance though. @Bluejay77 , you list Holy on on your website; was it red flowered? Or are these two different beans with the same name?

I would be very interested in growing this bean, but my search has thus far turned up no U.S. sources.

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that's quite a list for the first season. :) welcome to LEBN thread and TEG. :)

i think it's good to have a lot of questions. i may not know the answer but i can read along as others reply.
Thanks flowerbug! Not everything there is a first for me, but many are, and with some I'm consistently unlucky. For most, I've planted only a couple of seeds, just so I can get an idea of how these varieties perform in my location.
you missed a word there Russ, "suspiciously lurking" :) or they were speaking of them, not you. :)
Right! @Bluejay77 I've spent an awful lot of time hanging out around your 'window' without announcing my presence. Very happy to be here and that my days of 'lurking' are behind us ;)
An unusual bean. It does appear to either be a random mutation (unlikely), to have crossed with P. coccineus in the past - or possibly, to be a P. coccineus which crossed with P. vulgaris. There does not appear to be a red or salmon flowered P. vulgaris in the USDA's GRIN database. I found "Holy" as another synonym for Monstrance though. @Bluejay77 , you list Holy on on your website; was it red flowered? Or are these two different beans with the same name?

I would be very interested in growing this bean, but my search has thus far turned up no U.S. sources.
It doesn't appear to have P. coccineus maternal tissue - the cotyledons are epigeal like regular P. vulgaris. It was a new listing from the HSL this year, and I don't know of any other source. https://hsl.gardenorganic.org.uk/seedlist/french-bean/angel
But I'm more than happy to share seeds somehow when the crop comes in. I hope that this unusual flower trait is stable...

Latest posts