2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had warm to hot tempuratures (highs in the mid 80s, lows in the 60s). It has been very dry, so we're irrigating.

I think I vaguely remember Dapple Grey last summer being a little later than a lot of the other bush beans. It might take two or three more weeks for it to start blooming. I'll have to check my Dapple Grey tomorrow. I have it growing again this summer. Different location and different soil type. Keep us posted how it's going with your beans. I think you got seed from me.

Weather here has been the same. Very scanty rainfall. This coming week is forcasted to be in the 90's here for about 5 days in a row.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel like I'm a little late to the party. Just getting flowers on some of my beans...

considering where you are at a few weeks later would be no surprise to me. :)

FPJ have always been small plants for me. i don't think i've ever had them get over 2ft and usually shorter than that.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I vaguely remember Dapple Grey last summer being a little later than a lot of the other bush beans. It might take two or three more weeks for it to start blooming. I'll have to check my Dapple Grey tomorrow. I have it growing again this summer. Different location and different soil type. Keep us posted how it's going with your beans. I think you got seed from me.

Weather here has been the same. Very scanty rainfall. This coming week is forcasted to be in the 90's here for about 5 days in a row.
Yes, I did get seed from you - thank you. It's very nice. Everyone in our family picked out a different seed. There is a pretty good variety, so I'm hoping it will be a good test of what grows well for us. Maybe next year I will grow some for the network.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@BeanWonderin,

Checked my planting diagram and discovered I am not growing Dapple Grey this year. I sold half of what I grew last year and must have decided the other half will last through next year.........maybe

You will just have to wait and see what your planting does.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have plenty (probably about 500 seeds) plus i planted between 50 - 100 seeds of DG this year so if they actually come through at all i should have plenty to share with anyone who wants to give it a try. i've gradually increased my supply of seeds enough to start considering it a bulk eating bean so i have half a lb in a container that i'm planning on cooking up. so surely if someone would want a sample to start growing them i'd be glad to send some instead of eating them all. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have plenty (probably about 500 seeds) plus i planted between 50 - 100 seeds of DG this year so if they actually come through at all i should have plenty to share with anyone who wants to give it a try. i've gradually increased my supply of seeds enough to start considering it a bulk eating bean so i have half a lb in a container that i'm planning on cooking up. so surely if someone would want a sample to start growing them i'd be glad to send some instead of eating them all.
You should grow quite few pounds. I planted about 15 seeds of DG last year and got almost 18 ounces of the seed. You might with a good harvest get 3.5 to 7 pounds of the seed. If need be I would be willing to buy a pound of DG from you and pay the postage too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should grow quite few pounds. I planted about 15 seeds of DG last year and got almost 18 ounces of the seed. You might with a good harvest get 3.5 to 7 pounds of the seed. If need be I would be willing to buy a pound of DG from you and pay the postage too.

we'll see how they turn out. :) i'll keep it in mind.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday took photos of the Pole bean plot. Last year this was full of bush beans and very lush. You can see the empty wide open spaces. I removed all the poles where nothing came up. No need to even bother installing weed barrier fabric this year. Most of the pole beans are blooming even the stunted ones except for the pole limas. I think stunted plants covers most of them. The zinnias are doing well but not as well as they did two years ago here. Semi Runners are all in bloom except for Karachaganack which looks like it's struggling. It will be interesting to see what I get out of this plot this year. @heirloomgal should get a smile out of the fact that my bright blue Dodge Grand Carvan in this photo was assembled at the Windsor, Ontario assemlby plant. I was a 30 year employee of the Chrysler Assembly plant in Belvidere, Illinois. Started there in April 1978. The owner of this property charges me $300.00 a season to rent this 41 x 52 foot plot. He felt bad for my results this year so he refunded my money for this season.

Pole Bean Plot #2 7-25-21.jpg

I've considered taking down the rabbit fence early too. The owner of the property hasn't hardly seen a rabbit all during this drought. Only for a couple of days when we got a decent rain 5 weeks ago and then they disappeared again. He thinks they are laying low in their burroughs. Probably are.

Pole Bean Plot #3 7-25-21.jpg

I watered everything here yesterday you can see the wet spots on the soil. Will water around the plants every 4 or 5 days.

Pole Bean Plot #4 7-25-21.jpg

Pole Bean Plot #5 7-25-21.jpg

West side of plot Zinnia Row. One thing I've noticed is if you do a healthy planting of Zinnias near your beans the Japanese beetles are a lot more attracted to the Zinnias that your bean plants. You will get some beetles on your beans but it is I think very minimal.

Pole Bean Plot #6 7-25-21.jpg

West Side of Plot Zinnia Row close up.

Pole Bean Plot #7 7-25-21.jpg

Looking back towards the east side of the plot across the empty gardenscape

Last edited:

Latest posts