2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
while i'm not against OSSI beans, i won't grow any here myself. some of the terms make it impossible for me to comply, since i grow open pollinated beans i can't be sure what crosses with what and so i wouldn't always know what was a derivative or not.

plus i have beans which look a lot like some of theirs too and i wouldn't want to confuse them.
What kinds of terms do you mean? I have a lot of OSSI seeds, so I checked out their site to see what I might have missed. The OSSI Pledge says that 'you are free to use these seeds in any way you choose, nor can you restrict others use of this seed nor their derivatives'. The 4th OSSFF is 'the right to select or adapt a seed, or make crosses with it, or use it to breed new lines and varieties.' As far as I am aware of you are totally free to do what you want with the seed?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
What with all the discussion about OSSI seeds, I went to their website to find out more about it, and whether I was unknowingly growing any OSSI seed. No, I don't grow any; but based upon their pledge, don't see any reason to avoid doing so. I do grow a runner bean (Aeron Purple Star) whose U.K. breeder asks that those who grow it only offer it freely, and I forward a copy of his request to anyone who requests seed from me.

And basically, I see OSSI as just a way for breeders to "register" their creations so that no one else can patent them. IMO their descriptions would have to be a lot more detailed to accomplish that, but I admire their intent.

Out of curiosity, I browsed through a lot of the OSSI variety listings. You've GOT to read some of the garlic descriptions... I never knew garlic was a hallucinogen! :lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect the conflict with OSSI seed is that you are supposed to label any seed or derivative and include a link to the website. If your beans (for instance) are free to cross, then that could get pretty messy.

exaclty, the "any derivatives" clause. pretty much means i will not ever knowingly grow any OSSI seeds. i like what they are doing, i just cannot participate.

at my first seed swap a friend gave me a packet of the beefy resilient grex and then when i went and looked at the OSSI definitions i didn't plant them and returned the packet of seeds to her the next time i saw her.

i really need to avoid complications... i have plenty enough of those as it is. :)

if you want to also quibble about "totally free" you can do that too, since once you put a requirement on it then it is no longer totally free, but that is a philosophical quibble. one i'm familiar with from the free software community and various conversations over the years. :)

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
exaclty, the "any derivatives" clause. pretty much means i will not ever knowingly grow any OSSI seeds. i like what they are doing, i just cannot participate.

at my first seed swap a friend gave me a packet of the beefy resilient grex and then when i went and looked at the OSSI definitions i didn't plant them and returned the packet of seeds to her the next time i saw her.

i really need to avoid complications... i have plenty enough of those as it is. :)

if you want to also quibble about "totally free" you can do that too, since once you put a requirement on it then it is no longer totally free, but that is a philosophical quibble. one i'm familiar with from the free software community and various conversations over the years. :)
I knew that I had quite a bit of OSSI seed, but was oblivious to the need to label the seed I send out to people. This year I'm doing a comparison between 4 different delicata and 3 of them are OSSI (Zeppelin, Sugar Loaf Hessel, & Candystick Dessert -- Zeppelin is SO GOOD that anyone I've shared the squash with wants to grow it; I've not tried the others yet). The only watermelon that has ever done really well here and developed full flavor and sweetness is OSSI. Most seeds that I'd be excited to share are OSSI.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew that I had quite a bit of OSSI seed, but was oblivious to the need to label the seed I send out to people. This year I'm doing a comparison between 4 different delicata and 3 of them are OSSI (Zeppelin, Sugar Loaf Hessel, & Candystick Dessert -- Zeppelin is SO GOOD that anyone I've shared the squash with wants to grow it; I've not tried the others yet). The only watermelon that has ever done really well here and developed full flavor and sweetness is OSSI. Most seeds that I'd be excited to share are OSSI.

i'm glad this bumped up your awareness! :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , do you know when you will you be mailing Artorius' package? How many beans can you send of a particular variety?
I have mailed Artorious a package in December. I don't know if Artorious is going to want another package of varieties that he doesn't have or may want. I have realized recently that I still have not sent his Coon bean that he wanted. Right now I'm deep into Central Florida and will be here until about mid March. Then I'm going to stop off at my brothers house for a visit for at least a week maybe two on my way back to my northern Illinois home.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This was a trial shipment to test a new way to deliver the beans to me. Direct shipments to Poland were complicated by the new customs regulations in the EU. The way through my friends in England has proved effective although it will be longer but safer. At least one benefit from Brexit :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now if I can just retain it! 😅 I think on most of the OSSI seed, I'd rather refer a person to the source as that is their means of earning a living. Then I can focus on sharing heirloom seeds as a means of preserving those varieties.

i don't want to discourage anyone from growing anything, but i do want them to know what they're getting into and not feel surprised later.

Latest posts