2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What with all the discussion about OSSI seeds, I went to their website to find out more about it, and whether I was unknowingly growing any OSSI seed. No, I don't grow any; but based upon their pledge, don't see any reason to avoid doing so. I do grow a runner bean (Aeron Purple Star) whose U.K. breeder asks that those who grow it only offer it freely, and I forward a copy of his request to anyone who requests seed from me.

And basically, I see OSSI as just a way for breeders to "register" their creations so that no one else can patent them. IMO their descriptions would have to be a lot more detailed to accomplish that, but I admire their intent.

Out of curiosity, I browsed through a lot of the OSSI variety listings. You've GOT to read some of the garlic descriptions... I never knew garlic was a hallucinogen! :lol:
I once worked in an alternative health clinic; garlic there was absolutely PROHIBITED. BIG no-no. As were onions. Anybody found those around, look out!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I once worked in an alternative health clinic; garlic there was absolutely PROHIBITED. BIG no-no. As were onions. Anybody found those around, look out!
I wonder if they were run by very orthodox Buddhists. They're prohibited from using any alliums, under the Doctorate of the Five Angry Vegetables.

Actually, now that I think of it, Brahmin level Hindus are also prohibited from the same thing (that's part of why Asafoedita is used so much in Indian cooking, it's to mimic the taste without breaking the rule.)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually, now that I think of it, Brahmin level Hindus are also prohibited from the same thing (that's part of why Asafoedita is used so much in Indian cooking, it's to mimic the taste without breaking the rule.)
Same with Hare Krishna, which I believe is a branch of Hinduism. I only know that I used to enjoy eating at Govinda's in Los Angeles and bought their cookbook.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also a word about not planting all your seed but retain a few seeds for identification of your new crop plus holding back seed in case of a complete grow out failure.
How many do you recommend holding back in case of crop failure? I have packets of 12 (Swedish Brown), 16 (Marfax), & 17 (Bruine Kugel) seeds.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How many do you recommend holding back in case of crop failure? I have packets of 12 (Swedish Brown), 16 (Marfax), & 17 (Bruine Kugel) seeds.
My first year doing network beans was last year. Wettest july i can remember, I guessed and saved 3 ish seeds per variety, for identification purposes at harvest in an event of a mix up, and replant holes from unemerged beans as well. I wasnt really sure the yield output one plant of these unknown to me varieties could make, after reading many posts on here one plant could easily get 60 beans if i knew how to plant them correctly! I am hoping the adjustments i will make based on everyones great suggestions will increase yield!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

I think you could hold back two or three as insurance against complete failure or identification of your new seed crop.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to start 1/2 of each as transplants - one seed per pot - which will ensure that you get the most out of each seed. That will also act as a germination test, so you know how much TLC might be required for the remaining seed, should the first planting fail. I follow that procedure for all small seed samples, especially if I don't know the age of the seed.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if they were run by very orthodox Buddhists. They're prohibited from using any alliums, under the Doctorate of the Five Angry Vegetables.

Bingo.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same with Hare Krishna, which I believe is a branch of Hinduism. I only know that I used to enjoy eating at Govinda's in Los Angeles and bought their cookbook.
I cooked my way through 'A Karma-Free Diet' when I was in my 20's, by the HK's leader Swami Prabhuphada, it was dee-lish! I ❤️ that homemade cheese, panir.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a bean called 'Quarantaine'? It is apparently round, cream with purple swirls and splotches? For dry use. Also 'La Vigneronne'? Rouge von Paris?

Last edited:

Latest posts