2021 Margali's Garden

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got some mulberries from neighborhood tree. Not sure how to clean them though. There are tiny bugs that don't come off with cold water rinse...

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And most importantly we have accepted offer on 12.9 acres. Survey and financing has already been approved. TBD CR801 ariel.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got some mulberries from neighborhood tree. Not sure how to clean them though. There are tiny bugs that don't come off with cold water rinse...
Margali,

I will sometimes have bugs on what I want for the kitchen. Haven't done it often but I will put them in salt water. Let's see, I'm kinda guessing here but I don't think that it is much more than 1 teaspoon salt per cup of water. Aphids swim for the surface. I don't know if that would make even a small difference in flavor but I have mostly used this on wild-harvested mushrooms.

Steve

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pretty sure this property is ours. :) We are in underwritting with survey scheduled for ~June 30th.

Next hurdle is I need to figure out where to park RV and temp barn. The property has Ag Valuation for property taxes. The current grazing tenant may not stay so I need to get animals onsite by Jan 1 if I undetstand process. The Johnson County Central Appraisal office is notorius for no info / inconsistent info so their no help.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure you are right about the animals by January 1 for At exemption. Two goats or sheep will do it, unless it’s one of those counties where they want to tell you how many animals to have. A couple of wethers, raise for meat, take to auction, then get a couple more. That will show sales and should satisfy requirements. Also, apply online for a Texas farm sales tax exemption. That will save you sales tax, it all adds up. File your income taxes on your wethers. Get the party started!

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @baymule! Think hard about farm name. Mainly will be used for farmers market stuff.

Bedlam's Barnyard
Bedlam Squad Farm ie BS farm
Margali's Farm Follies ie MF Follies

Any suggestions considering 12.9 acres with dry creek down to woods staffed by our family insanity?

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What will be the main point of your farm? You want to project a positive image. The above abbreviations aren’t too positive…… BS immediately brings to mind Bull Sh…… and I’ll politely ignore the other one. :lol:

What kind of trees do you have? Is there a named creek or river nearby?

I like Margali’s Farm
Your slogan could be
Growing good food for you
Or something of that nature.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What will be the main point of your farm? You want to project a positive image. The above abbreviations aren’t too positive…… BS immediately brings to mind Bull Sh…… and I’ll politely ignore the other one. :lol:
So no truth in advertising, gotcha.

Creek behind property is East Buffalo Creek. Couldn't think on anything useful with that especially since I do not have access/water rights to creek.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right, no truth in advertising. Bedlam doesn't sound too enticing. LOL Paint a pretty picture.

You will come up with the right name.

Latest posts