2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 those beans are gorgeous! I've only grown Jiminez once, and when it got into late maturity I was amazed at the colour the pods were splashed with, a true hot red. It's a very nice bean.

Was able to take a few photos today; it's been busy days de-seeding peppers, fermenting tomatoes and cruising the bean rows daily for dried pods then shelling at night when I've got a bunch. I've finally got most of the dried bean bushes in the house cleaned up.
Gonna rain tonight, ugh. Again. :barnie

Grune au des Karpaten (sp?)
I don't know why but minty colored beans thrill me! Just adore these. Given that I'm growing the jumbo Soissons Verte as well, it's like one is the 'junior' and the other 'senior'.
20220902_174803.jpg
20220902_174826.jpg

Teparies
I'm rather shocked, but they managed to catch up and produce some seed.
20220902_180002.jpg
20220902_175900.jpg

Kyoto
Suffering pretty bad from mould as you can see in the picture, but I think some will make it. It's really long! Likely one plant is crossed (in the 3 total) since the other pod shape is very flat compared to this one.
20220902_181231.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kyoto
Suffering pretty bad from mould as you can see in the picture, but I think some will make it. It's really long! Likely one plant is crossed (in the 3 total) since the other pod shape is very flat compared to this one.
Wow Long pod. Will be interesting to see how all the seed turns out from that grow out. Every gardening year is full of surprises. I've got mine too. You will see them in my bean show later in the fall.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Peregion/Appaloosa and Adzuki and Lavender beans were picked through and shelled today.

in the Appaloosa planting i companion planted some ancient Peregion seeds (which i consider a blend) since i didn't expect many of them to even grow i didn't want to waste the space or time planting. i think most of the components of the blend did sprout and grow, but i will double check that at some point by comparing to a sample of the original blend that i've kept. there's still more to pick out there in that row.

the Appaloosa seeds were in very nice condition and properly shaped even if they're weren't large seeds. in the past i've had problems with this variety (and also Painted Pony) forming a lot of partial seeds that didn't finish, but this year there were only a few of those (so far) - there is more to pick yet so we'll see how they finish (such wild swings in weather and temperature it will be interesting).

also picked through some other beans and hope to get those looked at and shelled out tomorrow afternoon.

i think i have seed samples from at least half of the varieties i planted already so that is good - a few were getting old enough that i wondered if i'd get any results at all (and then one i expected more from and didn't get much at all so there ya go...).

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Peregion seeds (which i consider a blend)
Why do you consider it a blend?

Now, see, here is where I run into trouble with beans. As soon as I hear something like that (or that GaGa Hut and Seneca Allegheny Pinto may be the same bean), I feel compelled to grow them out and see what happens. I'm really trying to resist that urge... but it's not easy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do you consider it a blend?

it has a number of different beans in it that when selected out and planted will come fairly true to what was planted - some have crossed and i have seen some interesting beans along the way (many of which i have no time or space to evaluate).

there is a tan bean with black stripes and the reverse. there is a tan bean with brown stripes and the reverse. there are black beans with speckles and some that look more like turtle beans with the matte finish. and then there is a black bean with even more markings almost to where it looks like a pinto bean except it is mostly black.

when i bought them from Vermont Seed Co back in 2012 the description and picture only had the tan background and black stripes shown and none of the off types so i thought i had gotten the wrong seeds and notified them. they sent me another package (so i had 1lb of seeds) without charge (which were the same as the first package so i guess that's what they were supposed to be like afterall and the picture just wasn't representative (imagine that!))...

they've always done fairly well here but they do sprawl and overgrow smaller neighbors.

Now, see, here is where I run into trouble with beans. As soon as I hear something like that (or that GaGa Hut and Seneca Allegheny Pinto may be the same bean), I feel compelled to grow them out and see what happens. I'm really trying to resist that urge... but it's not easy.

:) the seeds i planted were 10 years old and they sprouted and did better than some other beans i'd had from 5 years ago (of which almost none of those sprouted). luckily some of what i wanted did grow so that was the main concern i had as the beans were getting old and needed to be refreshed. the color change as they age is pretty significant, but they're still a pretty bean.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it has a number of different beans in it that when selected out and planted will come fairly true to what was planted - some have crossed and i have seen some interesting beans along the way (many of which i have no time or space to evaluate)...
Thank you for that explanation! I appreciate that it was thorough enough to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year my pole beans are a bit late. Due to the heat, many flowers and small pods have fallen. Now I only collect Hidatsa Shield Figure and Bubblegum dry pods. Fortunately, it promises to be a beautiful autumn. There are no frosts in the forecasts until mid-October.

This Frost doesn't count, of course :)
Frost.jpg

Wachtelbohne aus Unterfranken
Wachtelbohnen aus Unterfranken 1.jpg
Wachtelbohnen aus Unterfranken 3.jpg

Mountain Pima Plum
Mountain Pima Plum.jpg

Grandma Gina's
Grandma Gina's.jpg

Cranberry Flieder
Cranberry Flieder.jpg

Most of the bush beans are already harvested. There were a few varieties left, such as Dente di Morto, Nasieddu Rosso Cannellino or additional Long Eye Black Eyes, which I planted later, when it turned out that I still had some free space.

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I strolled into my zone 3 gardens today thinking I was going to do some casual weeding and maybe pick the few beans that probably ripened to dry since I picked last weekend. I was welcomed by a 60' row of Seneca Allegheny that all looked like this.

PXL_20220903_153825551.jpg

Four hours later I had more than half filled one of those big paper leaf bags (which I think are 30 gallons?). I guess I know what I'm doing with my free time for a while.

Some more fun stuff, though the light was just about the worst it could be for taking pics. I'm going from memory on these varieties because I don't have my garden plan with me, and I'm fairly sure the varieties are right but i'm not sure they're in the right order. ;-)

MN-150 bush cow peas from @Zeedman - There's a lot more beans on these in person than you would think from the picture. They're loading. They need to dry out though because the early frost date for that garden was technically last Thursday.
PXL_20220903_190104824.jpg

Ezonishiki soy beans - I harvested almost all of these today. Nobody that I know of grows soy beans anywhere within about an hour of this garden, claiming that they can't be ripened in their 90 day safe growing season. Take that common knowledge!
PXL_20220903_154628485.jpg

There's some MN-13 next to those that I didn't get a pic of for some reason, and @flowerbug sent me a lima that's next to those. The lima hasn't done much and I give it a pretty low chance of finishing any beans. It was a fun trial though.

I THINK these are Yancheng Bush yardlongs, also from @Zeedman. Again, the pic doesn't do the pod density justice. The beans in the background are @Bluejay77 's Red Turtle which I also harvested 2 gallons of pods from today. I didn't get a pic of those on their own. They look good but are running much later this year than last.
PXL_20220903_154327403.jpg

It's unfortunate that this pic is so washed out because the Black Kabouli chickpeas are covered with dry pods. That's been a nice surprise! I picked 5 just to check them out, but they were last on my priority list and I ran out of time.
PXL_20220903_154318436.jpg