2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'll call it "Black Angus" to keep the two strains separate, and point out that it is possibly similar/identical to "Cow".

Edit: Since cowpeas are just called "peas" in the South, I actually find "Cow" to be a hilarious name for a... cow pea. Someone had a good sense of humor. What's next, a bean named "Jim"? :lol:
First, it's Jim Beam, not Bean.

Second how about Orson? (Orson Bean was a fairly famous actor.)

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@jbosmith
I grew 4 plants of MN150 in a small flower pot. I was pretty happy turning 4 seeds into 89. I’m sure they would have done much better in the soil. The seed has a unique coloration.

DE6-B9-A9-C-FA2-E-4727-BFF0-8-E169-ABC4-E65.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Question for anyone whose grown the Holy bean, or Monstrance bean; is it not a very productive variety? I'm trying it for the second time and it still doesn't seem like there are as many beans on it as some of the other varieties I have out there?

@Bluejay77 I can't believe your Lilascheke pods are dry already! I had transplants put in, and still they are not fully dried up! Have you helped the plant in any way to encourage it to dry or have you just had more heat units than we had here? It's very impressive that you've got Jeminez dried up too! Wow!

I did some shelling tonight of Dusslinger Backer....something I can't remember how to spell....the beans are huge and beautifully coloured but the pods are also huge and HARD AS BRICKS. Seriously, possibly the hardest pod's I've ever shelled. My fingers are actually sore from a couple dozen pods! There must be some useful quality to this feature as I can't see wanting dried beans with such shells, maybe they resist water better in dry down. But I REALLY love this bean anyway. 💚

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
First, it's Jim Beam, not Bean
The play on words is intentional, and part of the fun. And why would you assume I was referring to liquor? ;)

Second how about Orson? (Orson Bean was a fairly famous actor.)
Who??? If I called a bean "Orson", nobody would get it. Naming my well Orson, now that would be funny.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who??? If I called a bean "Orson", nobody would get it. Naming my well Orson, now that would be funny.
Well, you remember your actors, I'll remember mine. If I could name a pair of swallowtail caterpillars Alphonse and Gaston (due to their habit of always trying to get out of each other's way) or a stuffed donkey doll Hote (accent on the e) you have some idea of my idea of humor (or my idea of opening a bead shop and calling it either The Venerable Bead or And the Bead Goes On. And of course my Al fresco Chinese Noodle Shop, Fun in the Sun (the only reason I dropped the idea for a bun shop called The Bao Haus is someone beat me to it. Still could try and find a partner named Hu, get him someone on 1st avenue in NYC and call it Hu's on First).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I can't believe your Lilascheke pods are dry already! I had transplants put in, and still they are not fully dried up! Have you helped the plant in any way to encourage it to dry or have you just had more heat units than we had here? It's very impressive that you've got Jeminez dried up too! Wow!
I didn't do anything to facilitate the beans in my backyard grow out or to dry faster. I also had direct seeded them on May 28. I can't remember a plant variety that defolitated itself faster than Lilaschecke. From top to bottom the leaves dried and most of them droped off so quickly. Last night I picked almost the last Lilaschecke pods that were left. I've actually been picking Lilaschecke pods for over a week and a half. Jeminez is growing in my south flowerbed. There are quite a few Jeminez pods left to dry. I probably have just a little over half of them dried and shelled right now. I have often wondered if my light colored house throws off extra light that the beans can use for faster growth. You have longer days in the summer which should make your beans grow faster than mine per day.

In my offsite pole bean grow out. Seneca Cornstalk and Graines De Cafe are defolitating earlier than most of the other varieties and have given the earliest dry pods.

Last edited: