2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The DTM I gave for Ezonishiki is for edamame; the DTM for Cha Kura Kake is for dry seed. Not sure why I did that, given that both are edamame cultivars. I must not have recorded both dates... something I'll flag for their next grow outs.

But that aside, Exonishiki should have ripened slightly earlier; or at the very least, close to the same time as Cha Kura Kake. I can only speculate that while both varieties would have flowered at the proper time for your latitude, the temperature differences between the two sites may have retarded pod development for Exonishiki, and perhaps accelerated it for Cha Kura Kake. Quite a difference, almost a 3-week reversal of what should have occurred. :idunno Did you record the actual days to dry for both? That might help to unravel this mystery.
I usually take pretty good notes about such things but was a slacker this summer. Cha Kura Kake went from "Hey that leaf is turning yellow" to "holy crap those plants look like sticks" at some point when I wasn't looking. It felt shockingly fast at the time, but for full disclosure I was working enough hours in August that my concept of time was squishy at best. It got me to watching all the other legumes which is the only reason I can guestimate 2-3 weeks later for Ezonishiki.

My one BEI 77-6177 plant was the latest, but it also got a slow start from a scraggly seedling. It made a nice plant in the end though!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got my livingroom back today. I'm not sure how long it's been since we've had real foot room to walk around freely, possibly 2 months. So it's a mini event around here. Most of the beans now are shelled, out of box flats, and in paper bags in a cool, dry - unused - space to finish drying. I can't believe it actually feels so great to do some major vaccuming.

:woot

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got my livingroom back today. I'm not sure how long it's been since we've had real foot room to walk around freely, possibly 2 months. So it's a mini event around here. Most of the beans now are shelled, out of box flats, and in paper bags in a cool, dry - unused - space to finish drying. I can't believe it actually feels so great to do some major vaccuming.

You are an inspiration to us all. Good work.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

:) :) hahaha!

i only have one full bag of Purple Dove left to shell out (which will take a week as i'm only doing a flat a day) and a few Venda pods in a flat to finish and a few others drying down.

the rest of the pods are out in the gardens and probably not going to give decent results so they are likely all going to get turned under after i sample them to see how bad they are.

no chance of getting any major gardening done for the next week or two (weather is iffy). any gardening i can get done will be to plant garlic. that's about it.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not bad for maturing indoors, from pure green!

You are not the only one that devotes alot of living room and bedroom space to seeds. I was able to leave enough walking space to navigate from place to place in the house. Below is how my living room looked about two weeks ago.
My house is built with a living, dining, kitchen room design. The living and dinning room just sort of merge. You have to imagine where one ends and the other begins. I sleep in the master bedroom and I have sheets of cardboard under my bed with bean pods drying. The space at the foot of the bed has a large sheet of cardboard drying Andromeda lima pods that I picked absolutely green. Only a few were beginning to dry. The wall space is devoted to red styro picnic plates with beans drying.

This is how things looked about October 5.

Pods Drying In Living Room #1 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

This is the dinning room south wall before you get to the entertainment center in the living room.

Pods Drying In Living Room #2 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

Pods drying in front of the TV entertainment center.

Pods Drying In Living Room #3 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

The living room. I have left enough space to get out to the backyard through the slider.

Pods Drying In Living Room #5 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

A little space in front of the my green desk.

Pods Drying In Living Room #6 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

More space to use at the end of the couch near the west wall of the living room.

Pods Drying In Living Room #7 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

The beans are the only guests that will occupy the couch for a while.

Pods Drying In Living Room #4 10 - 5 - 22.jpg

Next to my recliner and more usable space on the side of the dinning room table. The dinning table is shelling central for now.

Behind My Shelling Chair.jpg
Behind my shelling chair. A more recent photo. Those cardboard sheets have been picked over lately for dry pods. They were chocked full a week ago.

Master Bedroom 10-5-22.jpg

The master bedroom with Andromeda pods drying. I have more sheets of Andromeda pods drying elsewhere.

Entry Bedroom 10-5-22.jpg

Bedroom near the front door. The last place I had pods drying on cardboard. Those limas are more Andromeda. After I shell them I will find out if there were any segregations this year. Andromeda grew in isolation this summer. There is another bedroom the same size as this one with a single bed in it filled with drying plates and the wall space is also covered with drying plates.

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm wondering about row orientation.

If bush beans are in rows running North to South, would you put the taller runner beans on the West side of the garden, or the East?

Or maybe I've got it all wrong and the rows should be running East to West?

Greasy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
View attachment 52677
You are not the only one that devotes alot of living room and bedroom space to seeds. I was able to leave enough walking space to navigate from place to place in the house. Below is how my living room looked about two weeks ago.
My house is built with a living, dining, kitchen room design. The living and dinning room just sort of merge. You have to imagine where one ends and the other begins. I sleep in the master bedroom and I have sheets of cardboard under my bed with bean pods drying. The space at the foot of the bed has a large sheet of cardboard drying Andromeda lima pods that I picked absolutely green. Only a few were beginning to dry. The wall space is devoted to red styro picnic plates with beans drying.

This is how things looked about October 5.

View attachment 52654
This is the dinning room south wall before you get to the entertainment center in the living room.

View attachment 52655
Pods drying in front of the TV entertainment center.

View attachment 52656
The living room. I have left enough space to get out to the backyard through the slider.

View attachment 52660
A little space in front of the my green desk.

View attachment 52657
More space to use at the end of the couch near the west wall of the living room.

View attachment 52658
The beans are the only guests that will occupy the couch for a while.

View attachment 52659
Next to my recliner and more usable space on the side of the dinning room table. The dinning table is shelling central for now.

View attachment 52661Behind my shelling chair. A more recent photo. Those cardboard sheets have been picked over lately for dry pods. They were chocked full a week ago.

View attachment 52662
The master bedroom with Andromeda pods drying. I have more sheets of Andromeda pods drying elsewhere.

View attachment 52663
Bedroom near the front door. The last place I had pods drying on cardboard. Those limas are more Andromeda. After I shell them I will find out if there were any segregations this year. Andromeda grew in isolation this summer. There is another bedroom the same size as this one with a single bed in it filled with drying plates and the wall space is also covered with drying plates.

Latest posts