2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I suppose too that the beans from the same grow-lot could be given to different people and they'd eventually wind up with different strains. Especially if any crossing occurred (one source of Marfax has beans that include the correct color but wrong shape).

Everyone has their own selection criteria that might affect the end result. I have a dislike of the shortcut cutshort shape, and tend to cull that one out. I think I'll have to get over that, after reading some of Carol Deppe's writings. I think it is better to go for genetic diversity and health rather than unimportant details like a blunted end shape.
It's like that experiment in high school where the teacher whispers a few lines to the first student, and each kid whispers to the next what was said and so forth down the line. When you get to the 35th kid....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone has their own selection criteria that might affect the end result. I have a dislike of the shortcut cutshort shape, and tend to cull that one out. I think I'll have to get over that, after reading some of Carol Deppe's writings. I think it is better to go for genetic diversity and health rather than unimportant details like a blunted end shape.

i also dislike that shape (mainly because i like rounded beans and also smaller beans which don't usually jam into each other in the pods), but also i think that pods where the beans are closer together i will lose more if they start to rot and the fungi is moving along the beans in the pod. with a bit of a space i may not lose as many but overall, it may not really matter for productivity because that space in the pod could otherwise be taken up with beans and thus in the end perhaps it all washes out? couldn't say for sure without a pretty detailed study and i for sure ain't going to be the one to do it... :)

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally, I question the origin of a lot beans. Anybody can claim they're from anywhere, or simply rename it as was frequently done by heirloom seed catalogues for many vegetables. Giving something a new name and story is a great selling option, realtive to the cultural interests of any given time period and also having 'new' varieties. I just read, conicidentally, last night about a bean called 'Seneca Bird Egg' which turns out to be historical fiction. It's apparently from Chile, and somwhere along the way aquired this fictitous name and association. Chile only donated this bean to the USDA in 1988. So I guess it doesn't take very long for things to get mixed up.

Intentional marketing can actually make a fuss about the names of the beans. An example from Poland. One of the seed companies introduced the Pantera variety for sale. This bean won a gold medal at the Polagra agricultural fair in 2001 and has since been sold under the name Goldpantera. :)
Personally, I still use the old name.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 27

Swan River - Bush Dry - 2022

Another of Robert Lobitz's named beans. Looks almost Identical to Swan Island. They both were grown in the same soil this past summer. Swan River's seed coat also takes about a month for the color and pattern to start becoming visible. This bean's seed does seem to display a bit more white. The biggest difference I could see immediately was that this beans pods become streaked with purple as the seed matures in the pod. Swan Island continues to have solid green pods. Swan River did produce a couple of ounces more seed at 15.15 ounces (429.49 gm) The first photo is Swan River's seed when harvested new on September 7 and the second photo taken November 2. I also used the same exact seeds for the second photo.

Swan River 9-7-22 - Trimed.JPGSwan River-FB.jpg
Swan River Freshly Harvested................................................Swan River - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Sweetwater - Bush Dry - 2022

One of my original named beans. I discovered this bean in a French bean called Rose D Eyragues in 2014. This year was the 5th time I've grown out this bean. Seed production this year was a bit disappointing for 10 plants at 8.30 ounces (235.30 gm).

Sweetwater-FB.jpg
Sweetwater - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Sycamore Mascara - Bush Dry - 2022

I obtained this bean in 2016 from a Stephen Smith from Guthrie, Kentucky when he was still in high school. He went on to study plant breeding at a nearby college and for a time was the manager of William Woys Weavers Roughwood seed collection. This year was the second time I grew this bean. Seed collected was 3.75 ounces for about 10 plants (106.31 gm).

Sycamore Mascara-FB.jpg
Sycamore Mascara - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Tajana Special - Bush Dry - 2022

This bean came to me from Tatiana Nagle in Ilukste, Latvia without a name. The bean might have been obtained by the grower in Russia. Well I did a little rearranging of the letters in her name and I came up with this name for the bean. I did two sepearte plantings of the bean in my raised beds. One bed where a number of beans didn't do so well and neither did this one and the other bed where we used local more loamier soil and the bean plants were larger and grew much better. This bean reminds me of Rotebeerbohne with different size and shaped seeds.

Tajana Special-FB.jpg
Tajana Special - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's like that experiment in high school where the teacher whispers a few lines to the first student, and each kid whispers to the next what was said and so forth down the line. When you get to the 35th kid....
This year a friend asked me to help grow out some of a dearly departed friend's heirloom fava seed, as they were having difficulty producing seed and were concerned about losing it completely. The seed was originally from the south of Italy. I had never grown fava before, so I did what I saw suggested online and planted half of the seeds in October. It turned out that this was not a good idea in our climate; all but one plant died (thank goodness I had only planted half of the seeds). The remaining 15 seeds hit the dirt in very early spring and thrived, producing a bumper crop of fava beans. What I found interesting when I went to harvest them was the extreme variation in the pods. Some plants had produced thin pods, others thick, and each had its own individual colour palette. I decided to separate the pods, and then the seeds from each plant--and it was a real eye opener to note the variations. Perhaps this is typical of fava? (I am even wondering if this might be considered a 'land race' fava, in that they are the same, yet so different). And just think-- if 15 people had each been given just one of these fava bean seeds to plant and they each got different results it could have been very perplexing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_062953991.jpg
    IMG_20220803_062953991.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220803_071730775.jpg
    IMG_20220803_071730775.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally, I question the origin of a lot beans. Anybody can claim they're from anywhere, or simply rename it as was frequently done by heirloom seed catalogues for many vegetables. Giving something a new name and story is a great selling option, realtive to the cultural interests of any given time period and also having 'new' varieties. I just read, conicidentally, last night about a bean called 'Seneca Bird Egg' which turns out to be historical fiction. It's apparently from Chile, and somwhere along the way aquired this fictitous name and association. Chile only donated this bean to the USDA in 1988. So I guess it doesn't take very long for things to get mixed up.

If you refer to the recent listing of this bean in a historian's seed collection - I asked my friend, a Mohawk Elder seedkeeper, his thoughts on the subject and he disputes the historical fiction narrative. Perhaps, yes, the bean resembles a bean in GRIN that was donated by Chile (and yes in poking around, there are a few beans from Chile with photos I'd agree look similar); however, my friend points out that in the 1800’s there were many seed companies in New York State with quite a few varieties that came from the Seneca. As Seneca Bird Egg is a bean mentioned in Frederick Wilkerson Waugh's 1916 Iroquois Foods and Food Preparation I am a bit puzzled why there is a seeming sudden discrediting of its origin, and from a non-Indigenous source to boot.

Latest posts