2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did pretty good with a bean called Schwarze Dalmatin which I think is the same as Dalmatin? If so, I could fulfil your seed pledge for you for that bean if you'd like and it's okay with @Bluejay77 .
I'm not sure, we'll have to get @Bluejay77 input on this. Paging Mr. @Bluejay77 ...

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is 'King Tut' a type of cicerchia lentil? I've wondered that recently.
The grass pea one is, yes (they're two terms for the same thing). The English Pea one is, of course, not.

Truth be told, the varieties of grass peas are not something I am well versed in (most because most of the types tend to stay in the Middle East and India and not make it far into the Western Markets. I know Italian types tend to be bigger and whiter than, say, Arabian types, with the Greek type being even smaller (and so fat it barely has the wedge shape to the seeds that is the hallmark of grass peas.) and tending towards middle brown.

The stuff Kalyustan's sells is actually a mixture, part whitish Italian type (smaller than the one I originally knew, but still fairly large for a grass pea) and a brown Greek type (though you get the odd seed that sort of sits in the middle).

For a while, I thought there was a rare third type with white seeds that were TINY (about the same size as the ones I used to find in the lentil bags from India) But based on what the plants looked like when I managed to grow one (before it died), that may have been a type of vetch that got mixed in.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
of the two white ones the one with more mottled pattern is what i would consider the ideal of Spotted Pheasant as you can still see the Pheasant shape around the eye. these may change expression when planted in different gardens. if you want to keep them apart as separate lines that is ok with me - but i would not be surprised if you get different results some years that look like the others.

@flowerbug, so this variant can be described as Spotted Pheasant, right?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still have a few seeds from the ones you sent me so I will plant them again sometime, but certainly not next year. This is probably not a stable bean yet and therefore there is a chance for pods similar to those shown by Tricia.
I'm thinking we may never see the same bright pink pods that Tricia got one time. It just might be a one time event. But those reddish pods are nice too. If that's all we ever get that will have to be ok too.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jack Holloway My Karachaganak was a bit of a bust because I had some agressive crosses in the row, but I did pretty good with a bean called Schwarze Dalmatin which I think is the same as Dalmatin? If so, I could fulfil your seed pledge for you for that bean if you'd like and it's okay with @Bluejay77 .
@heirloomgal that will be ok for you to fill Jack's pledge. You are such a wonderful generous person. The rest of the world should be just like the people I've been fortunate to meet here.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 29

Tuvagliedda - Pole Dry - 2022

Obtained this bean from a grower in the Netherlands in 2015. It has grown very well and productively in previus seasons but moderately so this year. I believe the bean is of Italian origin. This year was my third grow out of the bean. Total seed collected this past summer was 7.25 ounces (205.53 gm).

Tuvagliedda-FB.jpg
Tuvagliedda - Pole Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Ukrainian Pole - Pole Dry - 2022

I had seen photos of this bean on the internet and so when I saw Seed Savers Exchange Heritage Farm listing the bean last winter I just had to have it and ordered from them. It produced some nice seed this year. I had the feeling it could produce better than it did this season but I got a fairly good seed return this past summer. Total seed collected was 9.40 ounces ( 266.48) from maybe six plants. I can see how some might at first glance mistake this bean for Lilaschecke but I do think it is very different and a different shade of purple on the seed also. So first photo is Ukrainian pole and second is Lilaschecke for comparison. I think the color margins where the purple meets the white are much more even on Ukrainian pole and it genearlly displays more white.

Ukrainian Pole-FB.jpgLilaschecke-FB.jpg
Ukrainian Pole - Pole Dry 2022---------------------Lilaschecke - Pole Wax - 2022

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Vermillion River- Bush Dry - 2022

This is another of the Robert Lobitz legacy beans that I have worked with after obtaining Robert's material from former Seed Saver Exchange member in 2015 the late Ron Thuma of Hartford, Kansas. A few years ago this bean was a segregation of another of Robert's Legacy beans Skunk River Trout. Total Seed Harvest from 10 plants was 10.25 ounces (290.69 gm) I believe the bean is stable but I'm going to grow it out again in 2023.

Vermillion River - FB.jpg
Vermillion River - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Victoria Brown Eyes Off Type 2- Bush Dry - 2022

This bean comes from a red and white off type discovered in Victoria Brown Eyes in 2020. This is how the bean also looked after a grow out in 2020. Got some more brown and white seed the same as in 2021. This bean produced three segregations this past summer shown in photos 2,3, and 4.

Victoria Brown Eyes OT2-2122-FB.jpgVictoria Brown Eyes OT2-21-122-FB.jpg
Victoria Brown Eyes Off Type 2 - Bush.....................Victoria Brown Eyes Off Type 2 segregation 1

Victoria Brown Eyes OT2-21-222-FB.jpgVictoria Brown Eyes OT2-21-322-FB.jpg
Victoria Brown Eyes Off Type 2 segregation 2.........Victoria Brown Eyes Off Type 2 segregation 3

Last edited:

Latest posts