2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think he is going by Mushroom now. At least the daughter has photos of her mother and "Mushroom" on her website. And yes, contacting her is a good idea. She does responded fairly quickly to emails.

it's a fun nickname. :)

after watching a few videos i see he shares a lot of my same views so that is good and i'm glad for him and his family that they've seemed to have done well along with doing interesting things working with biological systems.

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
...it needn't be plunged into the ground all of the way.
Heresy. Proper procedure is to put the broadfork level on the ground, step on it, fall to the left because the right side has a rock, dig it out with a garden fork, try again, fall forward as the center of the fork slides backwards off a rock, bend at least two tines of the garden fork digging that one out, repeat, dig a crater to get to the boulder you have just discovered, wrap your arms around said boulder and roll out of the hole because it's way too big to lift, wiggle out from under after a brief moment of panic and admire your trophy, fill in the hole, enjoy your freshly tilled garden.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Robert kept records of parentage - or whether his crosses were planned, or just the results of natural crossing (such as the segregations here). He grew a lot of bush beans, offering 116 varieties in his last SSE listing.

You seem to give an exact figure of Robert Lobitz listed beans in the SSE yearbooks at 116. I don't have any of the 90's yearbooks and I don't have 2000 or 2002 to 2005. What I have from 2001 and 2006 were the bean listings of bush beans that I photo copied at the Chicago Botanical Gardens in the fall of 2014. Below is a listing of the 95 Lobitz beans that I do have and have grown. I don't know if anyone on this thread knows it but I have been trying to collect all of Robert's Phaseolus Vulgaris beans. Can you fill in any of Robert's variety names that you know of from those 116 listings that are not on my list of Robert's beans.

Abundant Little Gem Pinto
Alice Sunshine
Amber Pearl
Amber Queen
Arnold
Atwater
Blooming Prairie
Bonanza Little Pinto
Bonanza Valley Navy
Canoe
Cedar Lake
Chaska Purple
Clarissa
Cokato
Crane Lake
Crow River Black
Crow River Pinto
Cyrus Grays
Delano
Dwarf Shield
Eagle Island White
Early Dawn Pinto
Early Stearns
Early Vermillion
Early Victor
Eden Lake Pearls
Eden Prairie
Gold Creek Beauty
Great Lakes Special
Hawick
Keewatin
Kelly Lake
Kings Knight
Koronis Cream
Koronis Giant Pinto
Kornis Golden Navy
Koronis Little Red Trout
Koronis Little White
Koronis Pinto Trout
Koronis Purple
Koronis Red Eye
Koronis Tan Trout
Koronis Three Islands
Koronis White Oaks
Koronis Yellow
Koronis Yellow Eye
Lake Avenue Beauty
Little Brown Cat
Little Cloud Leopard
Long Lake Giant
Madelia
Maggie's Cresent
Mazeppa
Midnight Blue
North Star Bush Pinto
North Star Yellow Eye
North Town Brown Eye
North Town Pinto
Oak Tree Pinto
Paula
Paynesville Amber
Prince Purple
Princess Rose
Purple Amazon
Purple Diamond
Purple Dove
Purple Rain
Purple Rose
Purple Rose Creek
Purple Stardust
Purple Swan
Purple Tiger
PXBT-PP-3-97B-OOH
Red Eagle
Red Spotted Delight
Red Swan
Rice Lake Little White
Roberts Green
Robert's Royalty
Rose Creek Beauty
Salt Springs Gold
Snowbird
Spring Valley
Spring Valley Purple
Swan Island
Swan River
Victoria Brown Eyes
Viola
Wadena
Wanamingo
White Hawk
White Robin
White Sun
Willmar Pinto
Zumbro Falls

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fiesta Bean grown by Sweet Rock Farm in Canada. I am going to grow out this bean this coming summer and I have Candy on my grow out list this year also. I found a photo of Candy that I liked from 2017 and I took a photo of Fiesta this morning. Fiesta is a lot darker but I do seem to be able tell that the colors and speckling of the two beans are the same. A photo later next year when I have fresh seed of both grown in the same season will really be the tell all. First photo is Candy and then Fiesta.

I wonder exactly when this Fiesta seed was grown. It has not been kept in a freezer as the darkening would have been halted. It has been stored at room temperature of whatever their storage enviorment happens to be. This seed looks to me could be at least 3 years old.

Candy 1.1.jpgCandy 2.jpg
Candy.....................................................................................Fiesta

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I'll go through my year books. I'm pretty sure I have many, if not all of the 90s year books. When I find them, I'll let you know. I'll give you all of them that I find from those years.
And I will search through the Yearbooks for your missing 2000+ years. That will be book-by-book, since I already notice varieties in 2000 that were not part of the 116 listed in 2006. I also have a 1992 Yearbook, but apparently MN LO R had not yet joined SSE... @Jack Holloway , are you able to pin down the first year he listed?

And as you are probably aware @Bluejay77 , some of the varieties you have now may have been developed posthumously from Robert's breeding lines.

This should be fun! It would have perhaps been easier if SSE had not deleted their online Super Yearbook - which I believe they have yet to restore? Beuller??? :rolleyes:

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And I will search through the Yearbooks for your missing 2000+ years. That will be book-by-book, since I already notice varieties in 2000 that were not part of the 116 listed in 2006. I also have a 1992 Yearbook, but apparently MN LO R had not yet joined SSE... @Jack Holloway , are you able to pin down the first year he listed?

And as you are probably aware @Bluejay77 , some of the varieties you have now may have been developed posthumously from Robert's breeding lines.

This should be fun! It would have perhaps been easier if SSE had not deleted their online Super Yearbook - which I believe they have yet to restore? Beuller??? :rolleyes:
I found one stack of yearbooks, and there are no listing for him in 1996 or 1997. In 1998, he is there, listing 149 varieties of beans. Maybe I don't have all of the 90s, I really don't remember when I joined, and I've had fits of cleaning, plus mice and rats have found their way into my unfinished basement, and I might have boxes of year books down there that are eaten. Or not. I will look for 1999 on, in the stack I've found, to see if there are more listings for MO LO R.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Uh oh! 😧

@Bluejay77 Last night I was perusing the aisles of A Bean Collector's Window looking for network beans etc. and came upon your bean called Schwarze Dalmatin...........and then another bean called Dalmatin! 😲 Ummmm.....I did not know that those were two different beans, I thought they were the same thing! Oooops!

So the beans I sent you to fulfil Jack's Dalmatin bean pledge were actually Schwarze Dalmatin...not Dalmatin!!! I guess I should have looked to make sure they were the same bean! I'm sorry! I thought I had the bean he needed! Well, at least its 60 more beans for you of something!

My bad
:hide

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was not aware that someone else could have developed any of his beans after his death in 2006. I figured that what ever he must have listed in the yearbook in the fall of 2005 was the end of the road for an new bean titles from him. Who would have been those developers after 2006?