2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, post #921 in the 2018 thread.

I'll try to copy it. Shows you how good my memory is. I wonder if those beans darkened over time.

You should like this. A bean farmer in Twin Falls, Idaho requested and grew one of your named beans this year. It was "Up The Valley". This fellow owns a company called Gentec. He grows certified seed so other farmers can grow his seed for food to be shipped overseas or packaged for the grocery trade.

This is what he said in his observations about "Up The Valley". A large bush. The structure of this plant was as good as you are going to find in an old variety and as good as most new varieties. All the bush types were early in maturity.

I took a photo of the new seed he grew and I placed six of the original seed you grew on the outside of the Gentec grown one's. His seed was really big. I don't know what he might do to his soil but the "Up The Valley" Twin Falls grown beans look pretty amazing. Thought you would enjoy seeing this. "Up The Valley" realized in full potential.

1645209778531.png

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The three most look-a-like beans you have on your list are Etna, Cedar Creek and Potawatomi. Which two of those do you want to eliminate.
Let's eliminate Etna and Potawatomi. I'll email my final list along with ones I wish to purchase and my snail mail address.
The Victoria Brown eyes segregations I will have to check when I get home. I may have eliminated some them. Especially the one that looks exactly like VBE. I think I may have eaten those already. I have VBE already and it's stable. I don't need to repeat that one again.
Don't go to too much trouble. You have enough to worry about. But thanks!
I have a few of the dark ones shown above, the Tartan C, that I do not plan to plant again. I'll be glad to mail them to you if you want. They are totally yours to name as you wish if you can stabilize them. Or name any segregations you get from them. Or if you get the original from Russ I'm pretty confident you'll get some segregations to play with.
Yes, please. I'd love to have them to see what I can do with them. I'll PM my snail mail address.

I have 4 different areas I plan on growing out the Network beans, so I shouldn't mix anything up. Anything that I suspect might segregate I'll keep a greater distance between plants, so I'll know what comes off what plant.

Thanks for the advice and help @Bluejay77 , @Ridgerunner , and @flowerbug !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah Great Lakes Staple Seeds is Elenor Hucker. She used to do some Network grow outs. I had the pleasure of meeting her in person at the 2020 Central Michigan Seed Swap also attendended by Zeedman and Flowerbug. Yep she has my Blue Jay bean. Blue Jay has gotten around to many places in this world in over 40 years. I had a real good crop of Blue Jay myself this past summer. She might of had a bad growing season with her beans last year. Probably weather related most likely.

she used to post here from time to time.

yes it was great to meet you and Zeedman. i'm really still bummed there's no seed swap this year.

in reading her website she says that as soon as she lists something it gets sold out. she also mentions something about after the seed swap tomorrow but i'm not really sure how to take her comment as either saying she'll finally have the time to get orders out or to restock or something. not sure...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll try to copy it. Shows you how good my memory is. I wonder if those beans darkened over time.
The beans in the 2018 post I doubt that they darkened because I put them in the freezer. I have seed that I grew 10 years ago have been in the freezer since they were new and they have not darkened.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes it was great to meet you and Zeedman. i'm really still bummed there's no seed swap this year.
Yes it was a shame that the Central Michigan Seed Swap didn't come off this year. I guess people were afraid of the Omicron virus. Since I have been fully vacinated and boosted. I have become fearless. I go everywhere without wearing a mask. January 22nd was the Central Indiana Seed Swap in Nobelsville, Indiana. I drove all the way up from Kissimmee Florida and attended that one. Of course some of the expense was differed for me by one of the admins inviting me to stay at their house. I made the drive in one day. 1001 miles from 5 am to 9:40 pm January 20th, arriving in Carmel, Indiana. I will have to put up some photos of the swap I took.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes it was a shame that the Central Michigan Seed Swap didn't come off this year. I guess people were afraid of the Omicron virus. Since I have been fully vacinated and boosted. I have become fearless. I go everywhere without wearing a mask. January 22nd was the Central Indiana Seed Swap in Nobelsville, Indiana. I drove all the way up from Kissimmee Florida and attended that one. Of course some of the expense was differed for me by one of the admins inviting me to stay at their house. I made the drive in one day. 1001 miles from 5 am to 9:40 pm January 20th, arriving in Carmel, Indiana. I will have to put up some photos of the swap I took.

i don't have wheels of my own any more so it gets complicated if i want to go anyplace for any length of time. i looked at where the seed swap for today was going to be at (over near your summer place) but that's too far of a drive for me to go both ways and the weather wasn't forecast to be that great. still was tempted. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
she also mentions something about after the seed swap tomorrow but i'm not really sure how to take her comment as either saying she'll finally have the time to get orders out or to restock or something. not sure...
I admire their preservation goals, and their unique offerings via Great Lakes Staple Seeds. I just wish they placed a higher priority on order fulfillment; I'm still waiting on an order placed in early January. I was thinking about mailing them a round tuit, in case they never got one... :confused:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I admire their preservation goals, and their unique offerings via Great Lakes Staple Seeds. I just wish they placed a higher priority on order fulfillment; I'm still waiting on an order placed in early January. I was thinking about mailing them a round tuit, in case they never got one... :confused:

all i can say is the website says to be patient and orders are filled in order so ... if you were able to place an order to begin with i think you'll be ok. :)

at least i hope so... :)

if i were closer i'd offer to help. mid-winter is kinda useless time for me in some regards and i'd not mind doing something else once in a while.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
for those with a local library, it can be interesting to check out their electronic resources to see if you have access to research papers and other useful websites that you'd otherwise have to pay for.

today i've found a few papers and books:

if you like Adzuki beans this will likely be a fun read:

History of azuki beans worldwide (300 BCE to 2021): extensively annotated bibliography and sourcebook / compiled by William Shurtleff & Akiko Aoyagi
ISBN 194843654X, 9781948436540

it's only 668 pages and pretty current. not sure i can get it yet, but i may put it on my reading list eventually.

this next one is historical enough it may not be current, but i also grabbed it for the references:

Phylogeographic analysis of the chloroplast DNA variation
in wild common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) in the Americas
M. I. Chacón S. 1 , B. Pickersgill 2 , D. G. Debouck 3 , and J. Salvador Arias 4

this one looks really interesting and is more recent:

Genomic history of the origin and domestication of common bean unveils its closest sister species (a lot of authors starting with Rendón-Anaya, Martha and Alfonso Delgado-Salinas):

Source: Genome biology. 2017 18(1):60-60.

at one page it is primarily an abstract, but the results are interesting. :)

this is another may be of interest to those who are into the Italian beans:

Italian Common Bean Landraces: History, Genetic Diversity
and Seed Quality
Angela R. Piergiovanni * and Lucia Lioi

Source: Diversity. 2010 2(6):837-862

@Artorius might like this one:

Grain legume crop history among Slavic nations traced using linguistic evidence

Academic Journal
By: Mikić, A. In Czech journal of genetics and plant breeding. 2014 50(2):65-68. Language: English.
Subjects: ancestry; beans; cropping sequence; domestication; languages; lentils; peas; Balkans

Last edited:

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
all i can say is the website says to be patient and orders are filled in order so ... if you were able to place an order to begin with i think you'll be ok. :)

at least i hope so... :)

if i were closer i'd offer to help. mid-winter is kinda useless time for me in some regards and i'd not mind doing something else once in a while.
Oh good gravy! If @Zeedman ordered in January and hasn't got his order, Heimdall knows when I'll be getting my order placed this week. Well, at least it was all planned for the freezer. Nothing I was going to grow out this year. Quail answered my emails, and my order has been sent from them.

Latest posts