2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like to go on an exchange like that, but it would be hard to come back with the seeds. I would have to charter a plane with a trailer. :)

hahahaha! yeah!

the only thing that has saved me in the past is that mostly i am so busy i can't get away from my table to look at everything else. i always want one of each!

not enough room to grow or store them all so i am trying to be more selective.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77, now that I have seen the sign, and know the town is in Kentucky, I have to ask, are you related to Dr. James C. Crow, of bourbon fame? I don't see his name on the Memorial slab (and given when he lived, I probably should) but I thought it was worth checking.
I don't know if I'm related to James C. Crow, but it might be possible. When my sister taught in high school in the suburban town I grew up in the 50's and 60's. The school librarian told my sister she had a book of her family tree and there were Crow's in her family history from Kentucky. We might have been related to her in a round about way.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Marfax fistbump @BeanWonderin 😁
I've been curious to try Marfax ever since I read that they make great traditional New England baked beans. I've had a fascination with baked beans since I was a teen and have made many batches, but never with Marfax.

I had a recollection that Marfax is connected with John Withee and maybe was the bean that got him started collecting and preserving in the beginning. But now that I look I cannot find any reference to Marfax in the writeup on SSE - https://www.seedsavers.org/withee-exhibit-bean-man. The only bean I saw mentioned specifically was Jacob's Cattle. Can anyone help fill in the details here? I see that you mention John and the Wanigan Associates in relation to Marfax on your website, @Bluejay77. Is the original connection his memory of Maine lumber camps, then?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been curious to try Marfax ever since I read that they make great traditional New England baked beans. I've had a fascination with baked beans since I was a teen and have made many batches, but never with Marfax.

I've never made baked beans. I was intrigued with this description from Fedco Seeds and secretly long for the recipe!!:
Heirloom resembling Swedish Brown Bean, but earlier and higher yielding. Richly flavored brown baking bean very well adapted to our cool climate. These are the beans served at Sagadahoc MOFGA’s famous baked bean, switchel and cider booth at the Common Ground Country Fair. This chapter has vended at all 41 fairs and sold baked beans since 1996. Golden-tan seed.

Latest posts